RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

DIY - Rear Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 09:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Thumbs up DIY - Rear Bumper Removal

I didn't find a DIY on this, just some posts people asking how to, with no answers.

So here goes. NOTE: I didn't fully remove the bumper as I didn't need to for my purposes (which I won't discuss in this thread), but once you know how to unlatch the bumper (trickiest part - step 3 below), the rest is easy.

So to whom this may benefit, here are my findings:

1. Remove all visible screws around the wheel wells, underneath the bumper, and where the rear hatch covers the bumper (Pic 1).
2. Take out the mud flaps if equipped
3. Pull the cover away from the plastic screw hole, with a motion toward the wheel well, then toward you. Use minimal to moderate force. I believe this is where some people got stuck not knowing you have to do this technique first. (Pic 2 + 3)
4. Continue to pull slightly down and towards you all around until cover is removed, using semi-moderate force. It will "snap" out. Note the slight notches on the bumper cover is what latches it in place against the plastic receiving end on the body. (Pic 4 + 5)

Reverse steps to put it back snapping the cover back in.

Attached Thumbnails DIY - Rear Bumper Removal-bumper1.jpg   DIY - Rear Bumper Removal-bumper2.jpg   DIY - Rear Bumper Removal-bumper-2a.jpg   DIY - Rear Bumper Removal-bumper-3.jpg   DIY - Rear Bumper Removal-bumper4.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
Guslug (04-15-17), leroyjnav (03-14-18)
Old 12-21-16, 05:57 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I didn't find a DIY on this, just some posts people asking how to, with no answers.

So here goes. NOTE: I didn't fully remove the bumper as I didn't need to for my purposes (which I won't discuss in this thread), but once you know how to unlatch the bumper (trickiest part - step 3 below), the rest is easy.

So to whom this may benefit, here are my findings:

1. Remove all visible screws around the wheel wells, underneath the bumper, and where the rear hatch covers the bumper (Pic 1).
2. Take out the mud flaps if equipped
3. Pull the cover away from the plastic screw hole, with a motion toward the wheel well, then toward you. Use minimal to moderate force. I believe this is where some people got stuck not knowing you have to do this technique first. (Pic 2 + 3)
4. Continue to pull slightly down and towards you all around until cover is removed, using semi-moderate force. It will "snap" out. Note the slight notches on the bumper cover is what latches it in place against the plastic receiving end on the body. (Pic 4 + 5)

Reverse steps to put it back snapping the cover back in.

Thanks for posting this DIY! I was looking all over for this. I have a 2016 GS so I don't think it will much different. I want to only remove the exhaust tips to get them powder coated. By any chance, a member suggested I remove the whole bumper but from your experience, do you have any tips on removing just the tips (if feasible)?