RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450h Climate Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 11:32 AM
RLM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RX 450h Climate Control Issue

This is annoying and all my riders complain about the A/C Auto mode on this car.

Here is the issue in Auto Mode with the inside temp set at 72 degrees, and the outside temp is cold anywhere from 55 to 65 degrees the A/C always blows cold air into the car. I can never get heat to flow into the car. The manual says that auto controls the a/c flow, fan speed, and vents like auto in almost every car. What is wrong here? The A/C is always on blowing cold air regardless of the temperature set inside the car. To me it seems that the temperature setting for both passenger and driver do not work.

I traded my X5 in for this Lexus. I am not sure it was a smart thing. Lot's of little quirky things about this Lexus.

Comments?
Old 07-11-13, 11:38 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I would guess that the ICE is not used often enough to sufficiently heat up the heating radiator. Therefore you don't feel any heat.

Especially if you have the tow package with the heavy duty radiator?
Old 07-11-13, 11:44 AM
RLM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for responding. I do not have any tow package. What is the ICE you refer to? Could you explain your post to me. Thanks
Old 07-11-13, 12:24 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine, aka the gas engine opposed to the electric motor(s) that are part of your hybrid. It's one of those acronyms you'll get used to here with the hybrid gang.

Last edited by BertL; 07-11-13 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Heading off the teachers out there... ICE does not need to be an adjective
Old 07-11-13, 01:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, RLM. A/C on all the time is the default setting. You can go in and change it but then you'll have to manually turn it back on. Raising the temperature is the best thing to do. Fan speed should increase as the engine warms up which does take longer. But there shouldn't be cold air blowing out of them. The other thing is the temperature also dictates which vents the air comes out of in auto mode - floor and windshield above around 75 and the center and windows lower than that IIRC. Finally there is the dual mode so your passenger can adjust their own temperature manually.

I fixed your little typo on the model number too

Last edited by kitlz; 07-11-13 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 02:07 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It would be nice if there was an AC button. But you have to go through the menus of the factory frustration (Navigation) system. There's a setting to enable auto-AC on. It doesn't do much.
Here's my vent thread (pun intended):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...not-to-ac.html
Old 07-11-13, 06:37 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

While I can't find anything specific in the RX manual about how the auto mode operates, to me it seems to have the same standard auto mode logic that I've seen in other Toyotas, in which it tries to make intelligent choices about how you feel, not blindly follow your temp settings. The auto mode in my Camry Hybrid was described to work as follows...

When you set the temp to 72F, the system will compensate for daylight and ambient temperature. At 60F outside, if it's a bright sunny day it can feel quite warm shining on you through the glass. The system will actually deliver cool air. At night under the same circumstances, the system will deliver warmer air as it knows you will not feel any warm from sunshine.

It doesn't always make the best choices so adjusting the temp is sometimes necessary to override. For example, the other day it was 29C outside (85F) on a bright sunny day. I turned the A/C into auto mode, but I had to turn the temp setting to 28C (83F) just to avoid a severe case of frostbite. Damn, winters in Canada are long enough, I don't need one inside my RX in July! I believe with less sunshine the system isn't so aggressive.
Old 07-11-13, 07:08 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never had any temp problems in my 450h. The climate control system is very unobtrusive and seems to respond quickly to my minor temp changes. I can not remember one time where I felt there was cold air blowing on me. The system does run slightly differently in ECO vs non-ECO mode.

Last edited by UCSB; 07-11-13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 06:20 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RLM
This is annoying and all my riders complain about the A/C Auto mode on this car.

Here is the issue in Auto Mode with the inside temp set at 72 degrees, and the outside temp is cold anywhere from 55 to 65 degrees the A/C always blows cold air into the car. I can never get heat to flow into the car. The manual says that auto controls the a/c flow, fan speed, and vents like auto in almost every car. What is wrong here? The A/C is always on blowing cold air regardless of the temperature set inside the car. To me it seems that the temperature setting for both passenger and driver do not work.

I traded my X5 in for this Lexus. I am not sure it was a smart thing. Lot's of little quirky things about this Lexus.

Comments?
Coming also from a European car (05 Audi A6) I would agree the Lexus climate system in their entry level cars is not advanced (quirky). The fan doesn't adjust and seems to get stuck blowing a full speed even when the temp inside has lowered. It also does not adjust for direct sunlight. Also I have no idea why sometimes for heat it only blows at the feet and for cold air its blows at the head. I wish it would blow on feet and head at the same time in auto mode. I think the RX system is primitive simple temp sensor to control the fan and air temp output. I know on my A6 it has sensors that detected the suns directions, infrared thermometer, could auto recirculate adapting to smog, detect and adjust for humidity (only pushed defog once or twice a year), and most importantly it actually would bring the cars interior to the set temp and reduce the fan speed. But lets not forget the X5 and A6 are mid level cars. The RX is entry level so some areas are not as tech driven.
Old 07-19-13, 11:51 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

A quick way to fix the air-too-cold problem is to hit the recirculation button. It goes automatically into the recirculation mode virtually each time it turns on the AC. It's a very smart feature.
Old 01-28-14, 05:03 AM
hank1414
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Canada most days this winter has been -30 degrees F, I have a Lexus RX450h and have to turn off the ECO MODE off to get some heat. Thinking of going back to the RX 350.
Old 01-28-14, 08:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hank1414
I'm in Canada most days this winter has been -30 degrees F, I have a Lexus RX450h and have to turn off the ECO MODE off to get some heat. Thinking of going back to the RX 350.
ECO mode has no business being on in -30F temps.
Keep in mind, this has been a record- setting winter. By the time you trade in, we may be back to mild winters.
Try the sport mode. I did that last time we got a blast from the north.
Old 05-11-14, 09:41 AM
Maertens
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RLM
Comments?
Same here (2010 RX350 Ultra Premium). My solution when it is blowing cold air at 72, is to turn the central area vent wheels down so that it is not blowing onto my hand and the passengers. What actually happens, it automatically redirects air into the vents near the windshield so it does not bother. Need premium ideas for premium cars.

Last edited by Maertens; 05-11-14 at 09:45 AM.