RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450h vs. ES300h

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 05:00 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

On your test drives make sure you try parallel parking. Maybe the hybrid is overkill if you are driving less than 10,000 mi. Per year.
Old 02-27-13, 11:06 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveOM
If you don't mind me asking how does the size of the RX negatively affect handling compared to the ES? I test drove both and the both felt like a "lexus" in the small area I test drove in...
While both vehicles handle like a typical Lexus, there still is a substantial difference.
As good as engineers are, they can't defy laws of physics.
A moving object has a momentum, which is a product of mass and velocity.
The RX weights 25% more than ES does. In other words, RX has 25% more momentum when moving. If everything is equal, it will take ES 25% less force to turn than it will the RX. Same goes for stopping and acceleration. Of course, there are so many other factors in play, including the fact that RX is a tall vehicle and will produce more body roll.

Gas prices are going up again in our area. That's a big point toward ES.
Just for 2 people to get around, I would go as far as checking out the CT200h. As a former owner of a Prius, I can say it is a very versatile vehicle. I even had a hitch in the back of the Prius to easily install the bike rack in. That way the bumper, trunk or the interior will not get scratched.
Old 02-28-13, 01:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
While both vehicles handle like a typical Lexus, there still is a substantial difference.
As good as engineers are, they can't defy laws of physics.
A moving object has a momentum, which is a product of mass and velocity.
The RX weights 25% more than ES does. In other words, RX has 25% more momentum when moving. If everything is equal, it will take ES 25% less force to turn than it will the RX. Same goes for stopping and acceleration. Of course, there are so many other factors in play, including the fact that RX is a tall vehicle and will produce more body roll.

Gas prices are going up again in our area. That's a big point toward ES.
Just for 2 people to get around, I would go as far as checking out the CT200h. As a former owner of a Prius, I can say it is a very versatile vehicle. I even had a hitch in the back of the Prius to easily install the bike rack in. That way the bumper, trunk or the interior will not get scratched.
The CT is a great commuter car and I love the mpgs and compact size as my daily driver to work. But when it's time for hauling the family, that's where the RX comes in.

After everyone's comments, and if initial price and styling are not factors, I can see this boiling down to two main factors -

1. cargo space/versatility which is in favor of the RX. 40 cu ft cargo/80 cu ft seats down vs ~ 12 cu ft in the ES and seats do not fold down.
2. operating costs in favor of the ES. 40 mpg vs ~30 mpg RX

Do like me and get both

Good luck.
Old 02-28-13, 02:31 PM
mikeva
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree it is a tough choice given both are great cars. All I can offer is my wife is now driving her 4th RX -- a 2013 RX 450h --- and it is the best one yet in both of our opinions. Mileage is quite good given the size of the car, it is easy to handle in town and on the road, and the new features like Lexus Enform and eDestinations make navigation a lot easier.

While she looked at a sedan, she decided she much prefers the seating position of the RX to the point that she is not really comfortable in a smaller sedan anymore. She likes to ride in my 460 but tells me she would still prefer to drive the RX.
Old 03-20-13, 08:59 AM
LoveOM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I prefer to buy as small a vehicle as one feels comfortable with. The larger they get, the more mass there is to carry around, which negatively affects handling and fuel economy. If I was able to get away with driving a sedan, I would.
I have been thinking a lot about your comments above and I think that is actually what I am struggling with. Initially I assumed I would be purchasing a Prius (love what it stands for, the image it gives, etc.) then I test drove it and was not comfortable with all the blind spots, the ride or the small trunk area. I feel the ES300h is larger than what my daughter & I need interior wise and I feel the CT200h is too small cargo wise, bikes aside I just really need a trunk.

If I were not committed to getting a hybrid the IS is the perfect size for me but there is not IS hybrid coming to the US anytime soon. I just feel torn and while the RX feels a little less lengthy than the ES I also realize it too is larger than what I need.

I am happy more hybrids are coming to the market but Lexus/Toyota have been doing them really well so I trust the quality I am not sure I would go hybrid outside of the brand.

All that to say your comments really made an impression and I am really looking at things a bit differently thanks to you.

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
Maybe the hybrid is overkill if you are driving less than 10,000 mi. Per year.
Is this true? I was thinking a hybrid was a good investment since that is the way technology is going and I thought even thought I may not make the investment back or break even over a traditional car it was still worth it for a healthier world....?
Old 03-20-13, 11:38 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Awesome! I'm glad my experience is helping someone look at a dilemma from a different angle.
The last generation Prius has a very large trunk. Don't be fooled by the way it looks from the outside. My German Shepard used to ride in it just fine. It also has a removable floor for extra space. You should've seen the face of the guy at Lowe's when I picked up 12x bags of mulch, 2cu ft each, in the Prius and fit it all in the trunk (seats up, floor removed).
The ES300h has 12.1 cu ft of space in the trunk, while Prius is almost double, at 21.6 cu ft with the floor in place.

Originally, we were not planning to get a Prius. We test-drove a used RX400h and stopped by the Toyota dealer on the way back. Looked inside of the Prius and I knew we were going to buy one. CT200h was not available at the time and the trunk in it is too small for my dog.
Old 03-20-13, 02:36 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Also, I wouldn't be too disappointed about not having an IS300h. It is based on the Rear Wheel Drive platform, which while fun, can get hairy in slippery conditions. If it will never see snow, than it is not as bad.
Non-hybrid IS250 AWD would be slightly lower in MPG compared to RX450h, but much more stable than IS300h alternative.