RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Considering Purchase 3rd Gen or 2nd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 03:51 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering Purchase 3rd Gen or 2nd Gen

We're considering the purchase of a CPO RX350. Our budget is around $30K but that's a pretty loose number so we could easily go with a 08/09 2nd Gen or step up to a 2010 3rd Gen which seem to be plentiful right now. We live in the foothills of Northern California so we'll be buying an AWD vehicle. So, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the 3rd gen vs. the 2nd gen? I'm sure many of you have owned both and have good/bad to share. Should there be anything I'm looking out for on a 2010 model since it's the first year of a redesign? Putting the cost to purchase aside, would anyone recommend the 2nd gen over the 3rd gen?

We were pretty set on an 08/09 CPO RX350 until we realized how few there were out there. Now that we're looking at the 2010, we're very confused. Thanks for any helpful responses.
Old 11-08-12, 10:10 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This subject has been beaten to death on this board. I have an '08 400h and am dragging my feet moving into a 2013 because there are MANY things about the 3rd generation that are, IMO, a step backward. Of course, there ARE improvements in the new model, too.

Here is my take regarding 2nd generation over 3rd generation RX:

1. Lighter/faster
2. Smoother ride
3. More right knee/leg room
4. AFS headlights available (swivels horizontally according to steering input)
5. 5-spoke 18" upgraded wheels on hybrid are PERFECT design (subjective)
6. Touchscreen NAV
7. I still prefer the overall exterior design (subjective)

Now, third generation owners who moved from the second generation - please add your opinions to this. You would be in a better position to answer it.
Old 11-09-12, 12:15 AM
waapples
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We considered both 2nd & 3rd gen and ended up getting 3rd gen.

3rd gen was developed and produced truly to be Lexus RX in both USDM & JDM markets, while 2nd gen was rebadged Toyota Harrier (JDM).

3rd gen is pretty much high tech compared to 2nd gen.

We didn't like how 2nd gen drove compared to 3rd gen.
Old 11-09-12, 05:13 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had 2 of each generation and the only thing that is different on the third generation that I really use is the built in USB port. The third generation seems bigger and heavier but both are very enjoyable vehicles. I would look at both and go with the best value based on mileage, service history, and available warranty. A minor point is the 2012 and later no longer require premium gas in the manual.
Old 11-09-12, 11:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The short answer is you can't go wrong with either - go with what you like for the budget you have. For a detailed breakdown, take a few minutes, get a coffee and read this long post

I just traded my '07 RXh for a '13 F-Sport and it was not an easy one for most of the same reasons as BobBass. What made me go for the Gen 3 was for mainly one reason - the F-Sport model came out. This is thanks to its aggressive front end, wheels, tighter handling, and 8-speed auto. I personally didn't find the styling of the 10-'12 or even '13 non-F-Sport enough of a change to replace my Gen 2 for it. In addition to the exterior sportier aggressive look, here are some additional items I like over Gen 2:

1. More modern and sportier, "cockpit-style" driver-oriented interior, although many agree Gen 2 had a more luxurious look. I am male, 37 married with two young kids if you're wondering about demographics and how that plays into it.

2. Better overall fit and finish regarding materials, seams, exterior panel gaps. For instance, on my '07 Gen 2 (and another '04 I owned), I always had slightly misaligned side dash vents especially the passenger's. The gen 3 is not perfect either and the tranny cover is slightly off relative to the rest of the console/dash - I've seen this with a few Gen 3s.

3. Better handling and control, (especially F-Sport). My 07' had a plusher luxurious ride but, felt like it was on jello when it came to braking and cornering and felt noticeable less stable.

4. NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness). This is probably not a fair comparison considering a brand new '13 versus a 6 year-old '07, but the '13 is a little quieter (less tire and wind noise noticed thanks in part to improved tire technology and aerodynamics).

5. Better fuel consumption Gen 3 over Gen 2 (comparing gas non-hybrid powertrains).

6. I do prefer the remote touch over the touch screen and improved graphics and interface. It also avoids the smudgy screen on the Gen 2.

7. Hands-free access and Push Button start. You don't realize how convenient it is to not fumble with a remote especially in the winter with gloves on.

8. Better phone pairing/compatibility. 07' RX would not pair with my wife's Galaxy II, but did with my Blackberry Torch.

9. USB port.

Things I miss from Gen 2:

1. Better visibility. You feel you are sitting higher in Gen 2 giving you a better view of the road ahead and all around.
2. Has more wood/aluminum accents throughout the dash/door arm rests (gave a richer look).
3. Hidden under-floor storage in rear trunk.
4. Less expensive tires (17" or 18" vs 18" or 19").
5. Higher rear seat provides better thigh support.
6. Last but not least, the CASSETTE DECK (yes I still have old tapes)

Good luck.
Old 11-09-12, 12:25 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had an 04, so long ago that I cannot remember much and now have a 2010. It's my wife's, but here's what she likes about it.

She liked the styling of both, but here are the points that made us go newer:
Heated/Cooled seats
Smart Key/ Push to start
USB
Mouse over touchscreen
Newer gen nav
Bluetooth audio
I'm sure I forgot a few things.

Also, 2013's don't have AFS, but you can have it on 10-12. There are some features that I don't believe are available on the earlier 2nd gens also, like the folding mirrors, side monitoring, etc.