RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX 350 with navigation is it worth the extra $$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 12:21 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by teddoro
I don't think the navigation system is worth the extra money. I'm a new owner of a Lexus RX350 and every time I put in a destination I get a route through every back road imaginable. It seems it does every thing possible to avoid any interstates and the fastest route. If I'm on an interstate it wants me to get off and go back to the back roads. And since it comes with a 500 page owners manual that makes it harder to comprehend. If I really want to go somewhere that I'm not familiar with I'll use either my Garmin, or Android phone with Google Maps or WAZE. When I had it on I found it to be a distraction and now travel with it off. I love the car and all the other features. For me, I wish Lexus/Toyota would come up with something more user friendly.
I wish Toyota would stop coming up with their own ideas and leave it to professionals, say Apple, for example. Stock Nav, with its 2D graphics, reminds me of 486 computers. And joystick just completes that image.
Old 04-04-14, 01:14 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe Google Maps and Navigation? I have not heard good things about Apple's Map app. Or, turn the whole thing over to Garmin or Tom Tom? The thing is, the nav system is more than someone's nav system built into the dashboard of the vehicle, especially when you include Enform Safety Connect and Destination Services.

Destination Assist was very important to my wife and I when purchasing our Lexus and something we use often.
Old 04-04-14, 01:20 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I have Google Maps on my iPhone. I can even purchase TomTom app for offline navigation.
However, Apple Maps work absolutely great (they even have some cities in 3D bird's eye view). If I'm going to someone's house, all I need is a text from them. iPhone creates a link automatically. All I have to do is open the text and click on the link. Start navigation. Extremely simple and just perfect.

There is absolutely no value to me in the destination services. Not with a smartphone in my pocket.
Old 04-30-14, 12:54 PM
khark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus navigation

I bought a 2008 RX350 with navigation about a month ago. My experience with the navigation is quite negative. I entered an address in Las Vegas to a house that is at least 20 years old and it couldn't even find the street.

In the area I live in western Wyoming, it tells me that once I leave the main highway it won't provide guidance, not too good for a unit that cost as much as this one does even though it does show the streets and roads on the map. It seems that anyone with a Lexus or Toyota with factory navigation system will not be able to find my house!

.My Tomtom that I paid about $75 for (including lifetime map update) has no problem finding POIs or addresses and guiding me to them.

It is interesting that Navteq provides the maps for most of the GPS units but the Lexus units are this poor.
Old 04-30-14, 04:08 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lexus Navigation

The Lexus Navigation in the RX has to be set up to work properly.

If your system is telling you to cut across back roads. You have selected shortest route in your system. Besides routes it also allows you to select driving around areas. And avoiding toll roads and bridges.

On your 2008 you might want to see if your system has been updated in the past 7 years since the car was built.
Old 04-30-14, 04:57 PM
khark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFWes
The Lexus Navigation in the RX has to be set up to work properly.

If your system is telling you to cut across back roads. You have selected shortest route in your system. Besides routes it also allows you to select driving around areas. And avoiding toll roads and bridges.

On your 2008 you might want to see if your system has been updated in the past 7 years since the car was built.
I have the latest maps (U38) and I know how to set it up. In the part of western Wyoming where I live it tells me that it cannot provide guidance as soon as I leave the main highway even though it has all of the streets in my town on the maps it doesn't provide guidance. I had a cheap off brand GPS that I have had for over 10 years that could navigate everywhere around here but this unit in the Lexus can't.

Last week I tried to program an address in Las Vegas to a house in a subdivision that was built in the 1990s and it didn't even have the street, let alone the address but my TomTom has no problem getting me there.

It is interesting that Navteq provides the maps for the Lexus and the TomTom but the much higher priced Lexus doesn't have anywhere near as good navigation as TomTom plus the TomTom has free lifetime upgrades to the maps and I bought it for about $75.

I really like the car but I am very disappointed with the navigation.