RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The RX 450h and winter weather.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 03:31 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The RX 450h and winter weather.

I am getting closer to purchasing an RX 450 h, but I have some concerns. I had read somewhere that the interior takes a much longer time to heat up compared with the 350 due to the different engines. My commute is only 20 mins with stop and go city traffic. In the winter here in Toronto, it is below freezing most of the time. Will the interior warm up quickly or will I be cold for most of my commute?

Also, is this type of short driving during the winter hard on the battery pack of the 450h?
Old 11-24-10, 04:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Benny, that was probably me making that comment. I'm in the same boat commute-wise. The 450h does not warm up during my 20-25 minute drive with speeds under 40 MPH. When it gets very cold, I give it a boost by using remote start. This isn't ideal because the RX switches back and forth between gas and electric, preventing the engine from warming up. At least the heated seats work quickly. Now I like to have the interior broiling sometimes. It definitely doesn't happen except during long highway trips, like driving to and from the dealer. Another thing is eco mode has to be off which hurts mileage a bit. But that's to be expected with any car during the winter.

I haven't noticed a problem with battery depletion at all. I guess the extra braking helps out. Good luck. Hope I didn't scare you away from getting the 450h
Old 11-24-10, 04:34 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to post these questions in the "Hybrid Technology" forum as well. That is where the 450h folks hang out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-213/
Old 11-24-10, 04:59 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Anita for the information. You did just a little bit. I love the idea of the technology, but I hate being cold. The RX will be mostly used during the winter as I usually ride my Vespa for most of the rest of the year.
Old 11-25-10, 05:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Odd,our Camry is hybrid and the heat seems to be the same as a non hybrid.
Old 11-25-10, 06:44 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
Thanks Anita for the information. You did just a little bit. I love the idea of the technology, but I hate being cold. The RX will be mostly used during the winter as I usually ride my Vespa for most of the rest of the year.
Benny
Do not be overly concerned. The car has the same engine as the 350, it's just got a heap more technology integrated with it.

In the ECO mode, more emphasis is on battery power than gas power. On the really cold days or at least when you 1st start out, just turn off the ECO mode (easy to do) and the gas engine will warm up pretty much as in any other car and work the heaters well. I've learned to drive w/o the ECO mode on and get about the same economy, just using a lighter foot on the throttle.

And as Anita pointed out, the electric seat heaters have three settings from warm to toast .

Also as pointed out, the Hybrid forum for the 450h has a bunch of us hanging out for questions or advice.

Have a great Thanksgiving
Old 11-25-10, 02:26 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Jim for your comments. I hope others who have some experience with driving their 450h in the cold of winter will also give me some feedback. I am going to go for a back to back test ride of the 350 and the 450h on Saturday, but it won't be all that cold yet to test out the heating systems.
Old 11-27-10, 07:45 AM
lukj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Minnesota just purchase 2010 RX450h the heat warm up really quicky w/o eco mode on plus the heated seat warm very quicky.
Old 11-27-10, 11:39 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Another option would be to have the dealer install a block heater. That is, if you have a place to plug it in.

I had a diesel that had to be plugged in or it would not start. The best part was that I had heat the minute I started the engine.

If I remember correctly it was about 100 watts. That would cost you about a dime for electricity every day you would use it.
Old 11-27-10, 03:48 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
Another option would be to have the dealer install a block heater. That is, if you have a place to plug it in.

I had a diesel that had to be plugged in or it would not start. The best part was that I had heat the minute I started the engine.

If I remember correctly it was about 100 watts. That would cost you about a dime for electricity every day you would use it.
Boy, that brought back memories. I had an 80 Olds Cutless that had to be plugged in while on the road with temperatures freezing and below... It was fine and dandy until I drove it about a 1/2 mile to the otherside of the motel when the cooler diesel fuel would reach the fuel pump or ? and die right there. That was in 80 and it didn't take long to trade that sucker off. (Or was I the sucker?)

Good luck on that...

lar
Old 11-27-10, 06:28 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine was an '81 Pontiac Grand Prix. It actually was a decent car for about the first year or two. It smoke so much that I "think" I did the people of Central PA a favor by eliminating bugs! When I went to trade it the dealer actually told me that I would get more for it if I took it to the Philadelphia airport and left the keys in it, than he could give me as a trade!

I also noticed the Vette in your sig. At least you were able to sell yours. I had a '61 that was stolen twice! It took me nine months to restore it after the first time and then it was stolen again about a year later .... never to be seen again.

Last edited by wa3cuj; 11-27-10 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 06:54 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about your Vette. That year Corvette was/is a beautiful vehicle. Almost bought a 61 back in 69. I'll always have a heart for Corvettes. Mine was a hunted 454/365hp (both tops) 50K miles in which a dealer from Tenn got in contact with me while I was vacationing and made a deal over the phone that I have been sorry for ever since. Even after I received top dollar for it. That's why I have 2 SCs now..(-:

As far as the 80 Cutless, eventually blew the motor and I participated in a class action which produced $800+ dollars. It was a car that everyone wanted when I bought it and no body wanted when I got rid of it. (-: So, just about gave it away. Had to really think it over about going with the Hybrid this time. So far so good. Love the 450H and at this point I'm real happy with the car. Probably the best vehicle I've owned and I've owned a few.

Back to the topic........Not sure the block heater would work that well except to keep the oil warm. Personally I've not had the vehicle in the cold long enough to chime in effectively. It's turning cold here now so soon will be able to..

Cheers,

lar