RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is the light color interior hard to keep clean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 12:01 PM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the light color interior hard to keep clean?

I am looking at the new RX. I really like the lighter shades interiors, but I am concerned they will be hard to maintain. In my view, I think the lighter color is much sharper looking than the black, but I am really concerned about staining and other problems with the lighter color. Can those of you who have the lighter interior share your experience? Thanks very much... VTHiker
Old 02-18-10, 12:11 PM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to know the answer as well. I've been told by friends that the dye in blue jeans tends to rub off onto the leather and it's impossible to remove.

Guess I'll just have to wash my new jeans a few times before I wear them
Old 02-18-10, 12:16 PM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

I had one salesman tell me his wife worked for Levi's jean company and her normal work attire is blue jeans. He said her jeans did stain the light color interior in her RX, but he used Woolite to clean the seats and had no problem removing the stains.
Old 02-18-10, 12:18 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

We have had the parchment interior for three months and I have not had any staining yet. It still looks as new as when I brought it home.
Old 02-18-10, 01:16 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Personally, I like the contrast with parchment(and grey) interior. I've had mine a little over 6 months, wear jeans 90% of the time and I have seen some dirt/'coloring' on the seat. A quick rub down with Lexol, and it's good as new. Another way to look at it is that if you have black seats, the dirt is still there, but you don't see it so you won't clean your seats as often and before you know it, your filthy seats will be soiling your pants and dresses!!
Old 02-18-10, 01:36 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Parchment interior and I have not had a problem with it. I do have the semi-aniline leather which is supposed to be more delicate but so far it is doing fine. I have even had black Levis' leave a mark but it wiped right off. Neutral cleaners designed for leather work great. Scuff marks wipe right off the plastic pieces around the footwells. This was not the case with my 4Runner.

I can see why Lexus but the dark floor mats in. I was going to order the lighter matts but after living with these and seeing what happens to the light colored carpet. I like the dark.
Old 02-18-10, 01:53 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
Personally, I like the contrast with parchment(and grey) interior. I've had mine a little over 6 months, wear jeans 90% of the time and I have seen some dirt/'coloring' on the seat. A quick rub down with Lexol, and it's good as new. Another way to look at it is that if you have black seats, the dirt is still there, but you don't see it so you won't clean your seats as often and before you know it, your filthy seats will be soiling your pants and dresses!!
Never happened to me. The leather gets cleaned every two months regardless of how 'clean' it looks. I thought about getting gray in my 450h for about two seconds. Now if it was as dark as the gray interior in my '99 300, I would have said yes.
Old 02-18-10, 02:23 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Never happened to me. The leather gets cleaned every two months regardless of how 'clean' it looks. I thought about getting gray in my 450h for about two seconds. Now if it was as dark as the gray interior in my '99 300, I would have said yes.
WOW!! If it gets cleaned that often, why do you even worry about light or dark?! (BTW, I'm not criticizing, I'm jealous)
Old 02-18-10, 03:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
WOW!! If it gets cleaned that often, why do you even worry about light or dark?! (BTW, I'm not criticizing, I'm jealous)
I'm **** And I have seen enough filthy light interiors in loaners to keep me away. Case in point, the HS250h I was given two weeks ago. I wanted to wash it so bad!
Attached Thumbnails Is the light color interior hard to keep clean?-get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg  
Old 02-18-10, 05:54 PM
euroja153
Driver

Originally Posted by ChitChat
I'm curious to know the answer as well. I've been told by friends that the dye in blue jeans tends to rub off onto the leather and it's impossible to remove.

Guess I'll just have to wash my new jeans a few times before I wear them
my beige seats have a lot of blue from jeans. i used armour all leather cleaning lotion, but its still very noticable
Old 02-18-10, 06:06 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by euroja153
my beige seats have a lot of blue from jeans. i used armour all leather cleaning lotion, but its still very noticable
In the winter, except for Sunday's I only wear jeans. Either Lee's or Levi's. No staining whatsoever and my Parchment interior remains as new looking as when I received it last June.
Old 02-19-10, 07:06 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VTHiker
I am looking at the new RX. I really like the lighter shades interiors, but I am concerned they will be hard to maintain. In my view, I think the lighter color is much sharper looking than the black, but I am really concerned about staining and other problems with the lighter color. Can those of you who have the lighter interior share your experience? Thanks very much... VTHiker
I had both dark and lighter color leather/fabric but what ever the color, owner has to maintain it regularly to preserve and extend the life. I have Parchment in current RX and previous SC and LS were of similar color but previous 05RX was black but I don't/didn’t have any issues with dirt and other discoloring with lighter color leather. For me, black color leather is more difficult to maintain because “imperfect” area is more visible [just like darker color body] compare to lighter color. With perforated surface, it does even better job in disguising dirty spot. Only downside is headliner, which can’t be cleaned except for gently vacuum to get off the dirt that gets collected. Currently I use Meguiars leather cleaner follow by Turtle wax 2001 protestant which is rated with both UVA/UVB. I have used others before 2001 was available but the combination worked for me for the past 30 plus years taking care of family and my vehicles. You should buy what you like but maintain it.
Old 02-19-10, 07:30 AM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel much better about the lighter shade interior. In my view, the lighter shade is much more attractive.

VTHiker...