RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Power liftgate button question (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 02:11 PM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex Lex
I open the power rear door all the time via the button under the chrome strip.. Works everytime since day one...

--Nate
Sure it opens. But I have to press the button and lift is with force for a bit until its about half way, then it opens itself for the remainder. We want to be able to press the button under the chrome strip and for the door to open by itself. Cant be done in Canada but probably can be done in USA, sounds ridiculous but its true.
Old 12-21-09, 04:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i have never wanted the rear gate to be opened automatically. If you are not carrying anything in your hands, how hard is it to lift it up yourself or access it through the remote?
Old 12-21-09, 04:33 PM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by nyranger74
The whole point is to be able to open the rear lift gate automatically. Every other vehicle that opens automatically can be done on the exterior. To be able to only do it on the remote doesn't make sense. Lexus has gotten many things wrong with this generation of the RX. I should've gotten another X5.
Agree - well put.
Joe G
Old 12-21-09, 05:04 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
i have never wanted the rear gate to be opened automatically. If you are not carrying anything in your hands, how hard is it to lift it up yourself or access it through the remote?

IMHO. It's just the way how you handle to do things. For example, in this case, when your hands are full, it could be much easier to spare a hand to touch the door/handle rather than to reach the deep pocket, find the key fob, then press it.

On the other hand, more cars come with the smart-access system, including RX, ppl would love to touch handles to open everything when they used to touch doors to open the fronts. Don't forgot some ppl here are also asking why they cannot touch the rear door handles in order to open them.

In the past, only small portion of ppl would think about why they couldn't touch the doors to open them; now, since this technology is real, ppl start to complain why the car makers don't apply this to everything/everywhere.
Old 12-21-09, 08:29 PM
RXSF

usually when i have my hands full, i have the key in hand with a finger at the ready before i grab stuff and pile it on on hands/chest. lol. I guess its different for everyone.
Old 12-21-09, 09:39 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Default Automatic opening with rear button can be dangerous

If you were to have the rear door open automatically when pressing the button, then you could get hit by the door after pressing the button. Is this a safety feature Lexus determined to not have a liability problem?
Old 12-21-09, 10:40 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rftuck
If you were to have the rear door open automatically when pressing the button, then you could get hit by the door after pressing the button. Is this a safety feature Lexus determined to not have a liability problem?
I agree what you said; not pay attention to this, insouciance seems impossible. But ppl had the same concerns when the car marker first equiped with back-door-remote-opener. Lots of ppl worried the door would hit/hurt others.
Old 12-21-09, 10:50 PM
RXSF

plus are you really gonna wait 10 seconds for the darn thing to open when you are right in front of it? with the remote, at least you can push it when you are a few steps away and have it already open when you get there
Old 12-29-09, 11:33 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

I went to the dealership today, they told me you can't program the power lift gate to open automatically when pressing the button under the liftgate.

Did anyone get this to work on their 2010 RX without using the remote? I know my last 04 RX has this option.
Old 12-29-09, 01:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wyau01
I went to the dealership today, they told me you can't program the power lift gate to open automatically when pressing the button under the liftgate.

Did anyone get this to work on their 2010 RX without using the remote? I know my last 04 RX has this option.
i don't think this is possible right now. maybe future models will have this feature.
Old 01-29-14, 06:11 PM
Maertens
Rookie

Today I asked the dealer if they can re-program the tailgate of my 2010 RX 350 Ultra Premium so that it would automatically open after pressing the unlock button on the tailgate. The technician tried something with his computer, and said he needs to research further, and I have to come again after tomorrow. However, after his manipulations, the remote no longer opens it either (surprise).

Question: if you own a 2010 - do you have the tailgate that automatically opens by pressing the button on the outside?
Thanks
Old 01-29-14, 06:22 PM
Al575
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Some 2010+ RXs have the option. Normally the ones that have navi/HIDs/perforated seats have the option but the ones without navi/HIDs don't. That's how RXs are equipped in this area and it may differ in different parts of the country. The option has to be set using the Techstream (Toyota/Lexus scantool).
Old 01-29-14, 06:33 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Maertens, the tailgate on my '10 will open with a two second press of the long button. The dealer programmed it for me back in July 2010. There's another thread on this topic that goes into more detail. Not everyone was able to find a dealer to do it. Part of the problem probably had to do with the fact it wasn't listed as an option on the '10. But a few of us were successful just goes to show it could be done. Now I'm not sure if it's different for you since you're in Canada. I don't see why. I hope they can figure it out or at least get your tailgate working again. Good luck.
Old 01-30-14, 01:33 PM
mswilsonuk
Driver School Candidate

At first I too thought this design was odd, but quickly saw the value. Living in Boston, when my car is covered in snow or ice I am glad I can manually open at the back - otherwise I am sure the motor would break if it was on auto.
Old 01-30-14, 04:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I know what you mean. Open the tailgate when there's snow or ice caught in the gap and the noise can be downright scary. I hit the button on the tailgate to close it immediately. The convenience outweighs the few times this is an issue. And I can still open the tailgate manually. All it takes is a button dance.

Quick Reply: Power liftgate button question (merged threads)