RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

18 or 19 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 06:57 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I am very happy with the ride and handling of my 2013 RXh with 19" Pirellis. I run the tires at the prescribed 33 PSIG (cold) - which usually means that they warm to 35~36 around town - and reach 38~40 when the car is loaded and cruising on the highway.

The car rides Much (thankfully) smoother than my Bimmer Z4 and our VW Beedle (with Sport Suspension) and not too different from our Dodge Pickup.
The following users liked this post:
tonyro56 (03-01-22)
Old 09-02-16, 05:35 PM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Running a "Cheapo" Toyo Spectrum

Originally Posted by NateJG
I am very happy with the ride and handling of my 2013 RXh with 19" Pirellis. I run the tires at the prescribed 33 PSIG (cold) - which usually means that they warm to 35~36 around town - and reach 38~40 when the car is loaded and cruising on the highway.

The car rides Much (thankfully) smoother than my Bimmer Z4 and our VW Beedle (with Sport Suspension) and not too different from our Dodge Pickup.
When I purchased the 2013 RX CPO, it had just had the tires replaced (all 4) with Toyo Spectrum All weather Spectrum tires. I had never herd of them so I looked em up and found that they are a low end tire and retailed for under $120 each. This is the lowest model Toyo, that I had ever heard of, and considered replacing them until I realized that they were actually pretty well heard of among wholesalers! (ie:those that needed a brand name, decent, all weather, with decent ride characteristics and pretty well priced. The "Spectrums" seemed to foot the bill, but for some reason they are no longer offered for sale ...not a recall at least...were eliminated from the Toyo line. AFTER A FEW WEEKS , of DRY, HOT weather driving in the desert hwy/city climate roads, I personally found them adequate for what I needed. (That is an all weather City/Hwy "V" rated quiet tire") Granted, I only have a couple of thousand combined miles on them, mostly 65-75mph hwy mph, with low demand SUV service.) So far, I have not demanded much and needless to say, no snow/ice performance requirements. They are are also pretty quiet on our well traveled highways and around town.

We COULD begin seeing a little snow in a couple of months with heavier stuff beginning in 90 days or so. we shall see just how "well" the Toyo Spectrums do as it gets cold and the snows begin. That will determine whether or not they remain on the RX! So Far, So good.
Old 09-02-16, 05:37 PM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Running a "Cheapo" Toyo Spectrum

Originally Posted by NateJG

When I purchased the 2013 CPO, it had just had the tires replaced (all 4 by the dealer) with Toyo Spectrum All weather Spectrum tires. I had never herd of them /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj so I looked em up and found that they are a low end tire, and retailed for under $120 each. This is the lowest model Toyo, that I had ever heard of, and considered replacing them until I realized that they were actually pretty well heard of among wholesalers! (ie:those that needed a brand name, decent, all weather, with decent ride characteristics and pretty well priced. The "Spectrums" seemed to foot the bill, but for some reason they are no longer offered for sale ...not a recall at least...were eliminated from the Toyo line. AFTER A FEW WEEKS , of DRY, HOT weather driving in the desert hwy/city climate roads, I personally found them adequate for what I needed. (That is an all weather City/Hwy "V" rated quiet tire") Granted, I only have a couple of thousand combined miles on them, mostly 65-75mph hwy mph, with low demand SUV service.) So far, I have not demanded much and needless to say, no snow/ice performance requirements. They are are also pretty quiet on our well traveled highways and around town.

We COULD begin seeing a little snow in a couple of months with heavier stuff beginning in 90 days or so. we shall see just how "well" the Toyo Spectrums do as it gets cold and the snows begin. That will determine whether or not they remain on the RX! So Far, So good.
Old 04-07-18, 07:54 AM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have 2 Rx's in the family that are same generation and same Michelin Premier LTX tires. One is 18, the other 19. I notice the 19s make that Rx a bit firmer and when I drive the 18 RX it feels softer. The 19 do look better... but 18 feel softer.
Old 02-24-22, 05:50 PM
Merninater
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lili43
We have 2 Rx's in the family that are same generation and same Michelin Premier LTX tires. One is 18, the other 19. I notice the 19s make that Rx a bit firmer and when I drive the 18 RX it feels softer. The 19 do look better... but 18 feel softer.
When you say "firmer" do you simply mean how it handles rough roads/potholes/etc? Or by chance does the steering feel slightly firmer? I have a 10' RX with 18" stock wheels and I was considering purchasing some used 19" wheels from either a RX450 or FSport. I imagine the difference will be minimal... but I am somewhat desperate to try and improve the steering weight of this car. I did not notice how slushy it was when I purchased 2 years ago.
Old 02-24-22, 06:33 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Mern,

First thing to consider is what may have occurred in your suspension over the two years. Is it possible your shocks are worn, which is most often the cause of a "slushy" feel? Worn out shocks can feel much the same as driving on tires that are quite a bit under inflated. If the shocks are not a concern, it could be badly worn, or under inflated tires, or worn steering components.

Just going to a taller wheel, one size up, will not eliminate poor handling issues. If you go to a taller wheel, and use the correct size tire for your app, the ride will be virtually the same. If you change the TYPE of tire you are using, it might result in a firmer ride, but will not affect slushy handling.
Old 02-24-22, 06:43 PM
Rence
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdlierle
Looking at a used RX, and found one I kinda liked, but it has f sport apperance with 19" wheels. I thought I read somewhere, the 18" wheels are much smoother?

Beside being a lexus and being reliable, one of the reasons for getting a RX is for the smooth ride.

Any comments/feedback?

cheers
its not smoother its very bumpy on low speed specially when u have no passenger, i have 2013 rx350 and cant even come close to a smoother ride of my 05 Honda Osyssey,, and my 11 Sienna,
Old 02-25-22, 11:16 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rence
its not smoother its very bumpy on low speed specially when u have no passenger, i have 2013 rx350 and cant even come close to a smoother ride of my 05 Honda Osyssey,, and my 11 Sienna,
The "wheel" on a vehicle does not affect how firm or smooth the ride is. The tire has great affect on ride quality. If you are running tires with a low aspect ratio, they have thinner sidewalls, and make the ride firmer. Also, if you have RUN FLAT TIRES, you will have a harder ride.

My wife's 2013 rx350 has the Michelin 60-series, 18" tires. It is 2wd, and the ride is quite smooth. If you have the 19" tires, they are likely a 55-series, which has a narrower sidewall, and may ride more firmly. If you have the 4WD model, I believe you have a stiffer suspension, plus more aggressive (stiffer sidewall) tires, which will make the ride even rougher.

When you are only talking about 18" vs 19" wheels, there is no difference at all in ride quality. It is the tire that makes the ride stiffer/firmer.