RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Broken Seat mount. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 04:04 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broken Seat mount. Help!

I posted yesterday requesting a parts diagram for the drivers seat, but I think my problem might be bigger than that.

The "hinge" that attaches the seat bracket to the actual seat is sheered in half. I tried to take a picture, its a bit cramped so this is the best I could do.

The issue is that the hinge is welded to the bar that goes along the back of the seat, so I'm not sure if this is something I can just replace or if I have to get a new seat.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening, had it happen to them, or know what I need to do to fix it?

Old 12-04-13, 09:15 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

You could take it to most any machine shop and they could likely weld it back. Wouldn't cost much. 4 bolts and a few electrical connections and the seat comes out easy.
Old 12-05-13, 08:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Good suggestion, however how did it happen? Might happen again if root cause not addressed.
Old 12-05-13, 05:39 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Good suggestion, however how did it happen? Might happen again if root cause not addressed.
Not sure how it happened. I literally bought it 3 days ago. Didn't notice it during the test drive, but only after the purchase. It could have been just a weak point by the weld. I did a search on here and google and could not find anyone that had a similar issue.

The car itself is in immaculate condition. Up to date on all maintenance, new brakes, timing belt just replaced, ect. I just ordered new tires and they will be going on this weekend. I'm going to see if my mechanic could possibly weld the seat while its in the shop for tires.

On a different note, I did notice that the RX interior is particularly noisy at low speeds. Just a lot of creeks and things sounding like they are shifting around. I can't say for sure where these noises are coming from but it just sounds like the interior is shifting. There is also a "thump" sound that comes from the back right tire area when going over bumps at low speed. My 4runner is so quiet inside I guess the little noises just stood out to me a bit more. The RX is for my wife, and she seems happy with it.
Old 12-05-13, 05:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If you just bought it take it to the shop you purchased from and show them the seat as this is a hazardous condition. Should you be in an accident with the seat like that you could be seriously hurt and the dealer could be liable.

As for the noises, for those in the rear check that the tools are all secure in their place underneath the carpet. Check the plastic covers underneath the vehicle as well to make sure they are securely fastened and not flopping around. You can search CL for more info on these.
Old 12-05-13, 06:07 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If you just bought it take it to the shop you purchased from and show them the seat as this is a hazardous condition. Should you be in an accident with the seat like that you could be seriously hurt and the dealer could be liable.

As for the noises, for those in the rear check that the tools are all secure in their place underneath the carpet. Check the plastic covers underneath the vehicle as well to make sure they are securely fastened and not flopping around. You can search CL for more info on these.
It was purchased from an individual, not a dealership. If it can't be welded, I will be in search of a good used seat. Anywhere in particular to look for a good used seat besides ebay and the local junk yard?
Old 12-08-13, 02:02 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

I think I have found the issue. I took the seat out and after looking at it it appear that the front left motor under the seat is no longer working. The only thing I can think of is that this added too much strain to the rear hinge of the seat, causing it to break.

At this point, rather than welding the hinge back and replacing the motor the best option is going to be just to get another seat. However, I have had no luck in finding a used seat for the 330.
Old 12-16-13, 07:41 PM
jwminzen
Rookie

Just wanted to update this thread in case some had the same issue in the future. I was able to take the seat to my mechanic and he was able to weld the hinge back to the seat frame. I'm hoping it will hold.

They only thing we could figure that caused the bracket to break was possibly there was something under the seat and then the user tried to move the seat all the way down whatever was under the seat kept it from moving to its lowest point and ended up sheering the bracket/hinge.

I don't think that the hing was broken because of the previous owner possibly being too heavy because the hing wasn't bent, but broken cleanly.