RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-09-15, 03:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Interior mods for RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 05:30 AM
Elahkinh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior mods for RX400h

Hello! I am completly new to the whole Lexus brand of cars. I am currently looking at buying a RX400h year 2008 model.
However I am changing from an Audi Q7, and my wife has a hard time liking the feel of the back seat and I understand where she´s coming from. The backseat of the Q7 features the climate control LEDs and overall better looking interior around the centre console. The RX400 looks like a 90´s volvo or some other bland brand of car with two plastic vents and nothing else.

Ive tried looking around the net for interior mods for the centre console to try and liven up the feel of the backseat but found nothing of value.

Anyone know of a tuning or styling brand that has done anything with above parts of the car?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-12, 06:33 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Few buyers make their buying decisions on the number of cute LEDs on the console in the back seat, so I don't think you will find any such "mods" on the market. Your best bet there would be a trip to Radio Shack and then to Michael's.
I always thought the rear seat of the RX cars was roomy, comfortable and well appointed, and, as back seats go, was perhaps even elegant, but certainly way above adequate.
Adding a few little lights for the little lady should not be too much trouble, however.
Old 11-22-12, 07:02 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, Elahkinh.

Offhand, the most comprehensive showing of mods made to 2nd Generation RX can probably be found here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ay-thread.html

There is much more scattered throughout the forums. If you use the search features of the forum you can have a look around to see if there is anything in line with what you are looking to accomplish. Personally, I do not remember any modifications for the areas which concern you. The 2008 RX 400h is pretty much the same vehicle sold here in the US starting in late 2003 as a 2004 model year. So, things were getting a bit dated by the time of the 2008 model year. The newer 3rd Generation RX begins with the 2010 model year. Was your Q7 a recently redesigned, at that time, model?

If you have a chance you might try to find a 2010 or newer RX just to see what the interior upgrades/changes look like and if the changes meet your requirements.

You do not mention the year of the Audi Q7 you are using as a comparison. Might be helpful to know for others to jump in with their comparisons. I am also wondering if this is actually a fair comparison even if both the RX 400h and Q7 were both 2008 model year vehicles. The hybrid system on the RX adds quite a bit to the price and yet it still comes in at around the bottom range of the Q7 pricing. A base AWD RX 350 is somewhat cheaper than a base Q7 from what I remember.
Old 11-22-12, 07:06 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
Your best bet there would be a trip to Radio Shack and then to Michael's.
No Radio Shacks nor Michael's in Sweden, FWIW.
Old 11-22-12, 07:31 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Was your Q7 a recently redesigned, at that time, model?
From what I could see, Elahkinh, it looks like you have a 2007 Audi Q7 which was the first production year for the US. Not sure if they made any changes for that model year when compared to those sold in previous years there in Europe. Was the 2005 the same as the 2007 there?

Probably a better comparison for the Q7 would be either the BMW X5 or the Mercedes-Benz M-Class in that price range.
Old 11-22-12, 08:01 AM
Elahkinh
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies!

I currently own a 2008 model Q7 wich is the same as the 2005-2009 model. The reason we are changing cars is the horrendous(spelling?) tax on diesel cars i Sweden. So the RX400h seems like a good choice even though the overall luxurious feel might be lower. I don´t really know yet since i´ve just seen the car for about 10 minutes in a showroom here at our local Lexus dealer.

I´ve been thinking some more and the car we looked at had fugly plastic cover mats on the floors wich probobly added to the plastic feeling of the rear. If we buy the car that will be the first thing to get replaced.

For you modders out there, is it hard to get into the middle console and leech a little power for some decorative lighting for the back seat area? Or where do you usually take it from to be as little invasive as possible?

And if I should continue my queries into this matter in another thread, please feel free to tell me so Nobody likes a forum clutterer.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-12, 08:16 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

E:
First, don't worry about spelling "horrendous" correctly because it is not a real word anyway, just like "fugly," which is really just a contraction looking for an apostrophe.
Secondly, getting power from the center console should not be a problem. After several failed attempts to find a source for switched power from the center overhead lights for my radar detector, I finally just tapped into the lighter power in the center console, and ran the wire through the glove box and up to the front right visor location. None of that was much of a problem, as there are at least two sources of switched power in the console.
There are several posts here (and elsewhere) showing how to take apart the center console to get at the wiring, and I've done it, so it can't be all that difficult.
Old 12-02-12, 09:25 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember you're comparing the design of a fairly funky newish Audi with a rather conservative (some would say 'bland') design of the RX which dates back to 2004 or so. Even in 2004 it was fairly sedate!

The centre rear console hasn't worried me too much. MIght start getting tacky if you add in LEDs. I've thought about underseat LEDs in the rear. That might be nice...similar to what the Q7 has...

good luck..
Old 12-08-12, 10:42 AM
gsfent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Elahkinh
Hi everyone and thanks for your replies!

I currently own a 2008 model Q7 wich is the same as the 2005-2009 model. The reason we are changing cars is the horrendous(spelling?) tax on diesel cars i Sweden. So the RX400h seems like a good choice even though the overall luxurious feel might be lower. I don´t really know yet since i´ve just seen the car for about 10 minutes in a showroom here at our local Lexus dealer.

I´ve been thinking some more and the car we looked at had fugly plastic cover mats on the floors wich probobly added to the plastic feeling of the rear. If we buy the car that will be the first thing to get replaced.

Thanks!
I have been in my wife's 2007 RX400h for trips, front seat and back.

Remember, these 2 SUV's have very different price points and different weights.

The Q7 is at least 500-600 kg's heavier. it is bigger and a little plusher. That is some of what you are noticing, the Lexus is a little lighter, or perhaps a little more "delicate"?

But it has very nice leather, nice faux wood, and I find the plastic to be high quality. The front and rear seats get about a b+ for comfort, could use a little more lateral and lumbar support, but that is only compared the tyically better German style seats. The interior layout is well thought out.

Unless you are driving on unlimted speed roads, the RX400h feels very nice up to 95 or 100 mph. After that it does feel a little light in the front end, (and will drink fuel prodigiously at those speeds) but I am rarely in that speed range in that vehicle. If you normally drive the Q7 over those speeds, you may not be as happy in the Lexus. If you are in the 65 -75 mph range, it is comfortable and economical.

Fewer mods for Lexus than the German brands.

Just IMHO.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 10-13-13, 01:39 AM
leonetti1
Driver School Candidate

Default Scuffs on Dash/ Chipped up aluminum cupholder cover

HI , I just purchased a 2006 RX-400H and love the way it drives. There were several cosmetic issues but I have been able to resolve all but two of them .

First there are several scuffs on the passenger side of the dash and everyone tells me that there is no way to make them look better; any suggestions? Also the color appears to be dark Grey/Blue not black.

Secondly, the aluminum cupholder cover is badly scratched and on the edge has large chips on it . I have no idea how anyone could have chipped this up.

Lexus in Seattlle wants $385 for the part and installation looks very difficult. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 10-13-13, 10:45 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leonetti1
HI , I just purchased a 2006 RX-400H and love the way it drives. There were several cosmetic issues but I have been able to resolve all but two of them .

First there are several scuffs on the passenger side of the dash and everyone tells me that there is no way to make them look better; any suggestions? Also the color appears to be dark Grey/Blue not black.

Secondly, the aluminum cupholder cover is badly scratched and on the edge has large chips on it . I have no idea how anyone could have chipped this up.

Lexus in Seattlle wants $385 for the part and installation looks very difficult. Any ideas?
Thanks
I would suggest making a new and dedicated thread for your questions.