RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Yak's Double Din / amp / Sub box install

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 09:14 AM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yak's Double Din / amp / Sub box install

this is a work in progress. Pictures are pretty much self explanatory. Its not a step by step, just sharing as someone may find them useful if doing their own work.

What Ive used:

1. Pioneer avh-p4400bh double din
2. Beatsonic rx-82a dash kit
3. memphis street edge 250.1 monoblock amp
4. 2012 Rockford Fosgate punch P1 8 inch subs (2)
5. Custom box
6. Ebrake relay to bypass dvd playback.

Please dont preach about how unsafe it is to have dvd bypassed. Its your opinion. I dont recommend for everyone, but honestly it is not a distraction to me. Its purpose is for my passenger on a road trip. She would hook her tablet up and stream netflix / movies even if I didnt bypass. My personal opinion is who actually parks with ebrake on to watch a dvd? NOBODY...why make a head unit with DVD capability and not be able to use it? Now that this is out of way . lol

Car toys quoted me over 700 for labor on just the double din install, and the amp/sub install (no custom box). No way was I going to pay that. I decided to do it myself.

Beatsonic kit is pretty easy to connect to the radio harness. My only gripe about the beatsonic kit is 1. Its NOT a perfect match regardless of what their advertisement says. 2. It only has Front right and Front left inputs to factory amp...meaning no fade adjustments afterward. (this is because of the toyota amp.)

also, my fiberboard box does not fit under the decking...so Im considering fiberglassing or modifying my box so it will fit. I will probably try to modify first as that will be the cheapest...least time consuming option.

Also this is work in progress. More pics will be added as work gets done.

Old 05-29-12, 09:16 AM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

went through firewall fitting on drivers side...kinda hard to get to. See the blue power cable poking out just barely at the top of the pic?

Old 05-29-12, 09:19 AM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

ankle socks ftmfw

Cubic FT on this enclosure is 0.278 ft3. The recommended enclosure sealed is 0.280. And it still doesnt fit under my cargo floor deck lid.

Old 05-29-12, 09:20 AM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

I still need to carpet my box. Im undecided on where Im going to put it. I wanted it under my cargo deck lid...as to be all stealth...but it didnt fit. Looks like I will probably have to end up building a custom fiberglass enclosure...sigh. Or just leave it out.
Old 05-29-12, 10:12 AM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you end up hooking up your car's antenna connection? I wish I could get the 4400bh but it seems like you have your ipod connection coming out from somewhere in the back..

Last edited by JForce; 05-29-12 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-29-12, 11:26 AM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks nice, too bad it won't fit where the 2 storage spots are under the carpet or where the 'tool' kit is.
Overall it's a real easy radio install.

(I used the BeatSonic dash kit, minus the wiring, a standard Metra harness and steering wheel control)

Most difficult was rearview camera wiring...........taking panels off just to get it to the door sill area.
Old 05-29-12, 07:59 PM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

Antenna wire...blue DVD bypass relay wire...remote wire to amp and the 2 blue wires with white stripe and Japanese tag on it all hooked together.

Hope that helps.

I have decided against installing in floor. My box is perfect spec for my subs and it sounds awesome for 2 8s.
I wrapped my box in carpet felt. Also cut lip off the box so it sits flat. The angle on the back of the box is perfect against rear seats.

I'm done with it at the moment.
I'm satisfied with the install and sound is nicely balanced.

Old 05-29-12, 08:06 PM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

IPod connector is in the back yes. I would actually prefer this as I dont like lose wires sticking out of my dash. I can route the wire down the dash and under the console and have it come out in between the seats. Its cleaner. That being said, I personally don't own nor do I like apple products so I'm not worried about it. I have been hacking Pandora radio apk for a while to allow unlimited skips and no Ads. I stream Bluetooth using my phone and have nav on it as well. I wish these head units started coming with HDMI ports. Then I could watch Netflix or rent movies from market...nav output etc from my phone. Its a galaxy nexus tw

Last edited by yakitori; 05-31-12 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 01:30 PM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

8s were not enough power. I pulled them out and stuck my single kicker 12 cvr in there. Now Im planning to build a custom box similar to this one...but for my 12. I prefer ported due to the fact that my amp is underpowering my sub. Just thought I would update.

Also, I must say...the RX has awesome acoustics for a hatch sub. The design of it is like a cone toward the front of the vehicle...great amplification
Old 06-05-12, 09:51 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

nice socks
Old 06-06-12, 11:41 PM
JForce
Rookie

Hey yakitori just got around to installing my p3400bh with the beatsonic rx-82. Everything seems butter smooth right now except with bluetooth. Bluetooth audio streaming works however during calls I cannot hear the other party but they can hear me through the mic. Is this a problem for you? Also, since you used the same kit as me what did you do with the brake connections (green) and the reverse connections (purple I think), the rx-82 has no input for these and neither does the rx330. I just left them hanging... is that ok (or were you able to bypass and if so how? Thanks.

Last edited by JForce; 06-07-12 at 01:54 AM.