RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Volant Cold Air Intake installs on the RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 12:53 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volant Cold Air Intake installs on the RX

Has anyone tried to install this intake in their RX? Heard it improved at least 2-4 mpg and +15 HP on the newer vehicles!
Old 08-31-11, 01:30 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhh! man your opening Pandora's box here. Lots of discussions about Intakes here and arguments. I won't even start. I would however take some time and do a search of this forum for info as there is plenty.
Old 08-31-11, 01:13 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a cold air intake and some mugen power decals on my honda years ago and easily got around 150 hp. I had to switch to Y rated tires because my factory tires couldnt handle the extra hp. I also got around a 50% increase in mileage (thanks to the K and N decal).

Disclaimer: These results are based on me being very naive and intoxicated so individual results will vary. I'm also bored today.
Old 08-31-11, 04:32 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Of course here it starts..... Like I said do a search please
Old 08-31-11, 06:24 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

if you compare a completely clogged aftermarket air filter to a brand new intake, then you might see those gains.

think of it this way, if it were that easy, wouldnt lexus (and all the other manufacturers) have thought of this and incorporated it into the design?

second, you will not feel any gains from an intake.

third, if you install a high flow air filter, by default it will also let more dirt in aswell, last time i checked, dirty air in the engine isnt advised.

take the money you would spend and invest in low rolling resistance tires (thats proven), check your tire pressure monthly (or more often), and check engine airfilter regularly as well.

there is no cheap way to get hp.
Old 09-01-11, 03:02 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Ok well I guess the argument continues. I noticed some gains with my intake and every car I have had with an intake. I also noticed some small gains from my Magnaflow exhaust. No sound difference but just a tad more low end. I don't care what anyone says here as they will continue to post advice. Each car has it's own possible benefits to these mods based on how the engine was designed and how well the intake was designed (does not take much). Get it for yourself and then comment and say Nay cause if you don't have it your just typing perception and assumption.

Lexus has every bit of knowledge on the "how to" make it faster. They inhibit the intakes for allot of reasons. Some we will new know but some are based on efficiency on what ever "spec" they seem to have at the time and especially on the USDM specs of what is "required". Do you know just how many Nissans in Japan are OEM Turbo!? We never see those versions here, Ever. Put the right intake on a 350Z and your gonna have some fun.

My lat car had an intake and exhaust cause the car was just too slow on acceleration, I could hardly navigate aggressive traffic! I would put my foot all the way down and go no where fast! Wow really helped. I mean not a turbo but it gave me some torque! Then I installed a header and even a pulley later. Each time I noticed something different in how the car responded. The only thing I was not happy with was the CIA until I make it into a short ram and then I got more on the low gear.

Say what you will. My experience is what it is. Not claiming a ridiculous 15hp, maybe 3-5max! on each mod if your super lucky! but the cars responses after the mods are pretty obvious. So far it's not as much with the RX as my last car but my last car had allot more performance mods available.

Intakes are a bit on the cheap end but a good exhausts will NOT be cheap.

Done with this. Most of this has been said already in other words.
Old 09-01-11, 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Intakes (like all other modifications) are trial and error. Even modifications that are 'custom-done) for a specific vehicle still need trial and error by the specific owner. I probably have some kind of world record for most times someone has screwed with their exhaust and intake (see pages 3 and 6 of my car domain page) according to some people who emailed me on car domain. It did not help going from high altitude to low altitude now.

Ideally, the intake needs to take some cold air from somewhere and as little hot air as possible. I haven't had much time to tinker as much as I would like with my intake over these years because my work takes me on the road a lot. In fact, right now I am using a splashtop app on my laptop to get to my home computer to get some photos I need for an intake I am designing for my RX when I get some spare time tonight.
Old 09-01-11, 05:45 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know for sure I burned more gas when I had mine but thats because I was always shifting above 4k rpms(My honda had an 8200 redline which produced some deadly CAI sound). I've always used CAI on my previous cars because of the sound but stopped on mine and my wifes last new cars because we both drive like snails now. CAI intakes are like the pull out method for birth control, some say it works and some say it don't.