RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Shocks with H&R springs = rough

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 02:14 AM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shocks with H&R springs = rough

Hi Guys,

I wonder is anyone have change an aftermarket shocks or springs for your ride? The reason i'm asking that is recently I've changed 4 new KYB shocks with H&R springs with 4 new strut mounts.

The feeling of the car now is very sporty , the car now handle pretty much like a sedan car but the downside is very pumpy~ I could now hear the rattles whenever going over the speed bump and got more road nosie.

And most important, my wife is complaint about that, so i wonder is there any more comfort setting for RX330?

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-09-11, 09:33 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard the combination of KYBs and lowering springs is harsher than OEM struts and springs. Apparently, all your options will cost additional money.

OEM struts with OEM springs: Mama happy
OEM struts with HR: Maybe mama happy
Current set up: Mama not happy + diamond ring=mama happy.
Old 05-09-11, 09:39 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the price for OEM shocks/sprints/mounts?
Old 05-09-11, 10:06 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had H&R springs on my IS and they rode good until I hit a bump....then it jarred the entire car because the shocks couldn't handle the drop in suspension. I switched to BCR coilovers where I can adjust the height and dampening and it made a huge difference. It now rides better than OEM with the ride height I wanted.
There are no more comfort suspension settings for the RX. Adjustable coilovers are your best option if you are looking for a drop and ride comfort.
Old 05-09-11, 01:52 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had H&R springs on my RX before the bags. My experience was this. On the stock wheels it was a bit rough yes. I really kind of lost that luxury feeling in the ride but it was a good drop and looked good on the outside. When I changed my stock wheels to my current MUCH wider wheels I got allot of that smooth ride back but never that original cushy bounce from the stock suspension.
Old 05-11-11, 02:07 AM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys~ I wonder has anyone has installed an TRD shocks + springs? Any commet on that?

BTW, i wonder is BCR coilovers made for RX? And how much are they?

Cheers
Steven
Old 05-11-11, 02:52 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Stevengtt, hmm...i thought if i change the spring and shocks it might lower the ride height of the car..and i can't get the MOT. Did somebody give me the wrong info?
Old 05-11-11, 08:24 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevengtt
BTW, i wonder is BCR coilovers made for RX? And how much are they?
BC racing doesn't have an application for the RX. KIDO racing makes an adjustable coilover for the RX for about $750 but I don't anyone who has them.
Old 05-11-11, 10:08 AM
koric
Driver

I'm not very familiar with RX suspensions and may not have a say in this topic but I've lowered a lot of other cars with all different brands of shocks and springs. The most important thing is to valve the shocks to match the spring rate of the coils. In your case, what kind of H&R springs did you get? Race? Sport? Shocks make a big difference also. If you like your ride height, I would replace the KYB with an adjustable shock to accommodate the H&R's spring rate. If you want to ditch your whole setup completely and get something else, I'd recommend a fully threaded adjustable coilover with a REPUTABLE brand, not ebay ones or knockoffs. With a reputable company, the springs and shocks will match and rebound properly. With the knockoffs, there's no R&D and you can die if it fails while you are driving.
Old 05-11-11, 11:14 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far that I know of in all my searching there is NO reputable coil set up for the RX330 in the USA. I do not know Kido however and do NOT recommend racing coils. There is an ebay brand. I have declined to be a guinea pig lol!

Right now I am waiting to hear back from Megan to see if they can come up with a solution. I think we desperately need a good coil set up. I certainly do for my Air system lol!
Old 05-11-11, 03:32 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

watching to see the development. I too would love to see coil setup for the RX. I want to lower the ride but don't want to loose the ride comfort either....
Old 05-15-11, 11:52 PM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

I've been doing some searching on the net, it doens't come up with much adjustable shock for RX? I'm so regret that i've throw the factory spring away, otherwise i would installed back the old springs!

I don't wanna to spend too much money on that, I've an idea now, i wonder would that be ok to install a TRD shock with HR springs? (My HR spring is sport springs)

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-04-11, 01:08 AM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

Updated news for the shocks.

Today i've just installed a set of TRD sportivo suspension on my RX330. The ride is very close to stock but fimer and better than stock. Now the car is not so rough as before and the ride is much better!!

If compared to H&R springs, TRD is softer and better. It's worth it if anyone wanna to change their shocks.

Cheers
Steven
Old 07-05-11, 01:08 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome steve. I've got the trd springs and it's almost stock like ride, can only imagine how good the trd coilovers would be.
Old 07-06-11, 12:08 AM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

I've talked with TRD and Tom's staff in HK, and they said there is no coils set for RX300. And from my research there is no company producing coils set for our car too................

Please share some info, if any RX300 owner has installed the coils set for their car.

cheers