RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

why buy an RX instead of the new Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 12:58 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why buy an RX instead of the new Highlander?

The new 2008 Highlander Hybrid is a thorough redesign and has some features that are not available on the RX.

See http://reviews.cnet.com/suv/2008-toy...?tag=pdtl-list

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121374

For example, the smart key and the mp3 inputs are big things for me. I love the smart key in my prius and hate the half baked solutions for adding an ipod to a car that doesn't have it ready to be plugged in. I haven't bought the RX up until now because I"ve been waiting for it to get the smart key like other Lexi and Toyotas, but am thinking of getting the Highlander now instead of waiting.

The Highlander is pretty cool looking

and has a pretty nice interior:

The Highlander (but not the RX) has:

Smartkey
third row (can delete if you don't want it)
mp3 input
more cargo space
19" wheels
driver's seat cushion extension
dual dash LCDs (main one is really large)
cheaper

RX (but not Highlander) has:

faster (at least hybrid Lexus is faster than hybrid toyota, and maybe non-hybrid also?)
laser cruise
turning headlights
rain sensing wipers
ML stereo
better warranty
better dealers

are there any other things that the RX has that the new Highlander doesn't? Why shouldn't I buy the Highlander?

Last edited by zmisst; 09-11-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 01:20 PM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

resale value
better fit and finish
Old 09-11-07, 01:34 PM
jednav
Driver

you are in the wrong forum. people here are obviously biased towards lexus.

tons of material over the internet.
Old 09-11-07, 01:38 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

have fun with your highlander.
Old 09-11-07, 01:50 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You cannot just compare features in both cars. Lexus are better in a lot areas that are not listed on the option list.
Old 09-11-07, 02:00 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

ZMISST, I think it is understandable if you cross shop the RX350 and the new highlander. Yes, it is not apple to apple (lexus vs toyota) but then I can relate to the idea of 'cross shopping' based on functionality and what you get for your money. Just want to add some points to consider:

1) The highlander you mentioned in comparison with RX350 is the top of the line LIMITED highlander equiped with leather seat, nav, 3.5L V6, startbutton and keyless entry, etc. A quote from my local Toyota dealer about a month ago for such Highlander is, brace you self, $41K MSRP! No negotiations were allowed they told me. Take it or leave it since they literally sell one off the lot the same day they arrive. I got a new LEXUS RX350 for less, comparably equiped minus some of the gadgets you mentioned exist in 08 Highlander.

2) A highlander LIMITED with nav and options are still difficult to get at this point. Most of them are buid in Base and Sports model. This is based on the info from my toyota dealership. If you have to factory order one, it will take you a couple months to get the vehicle. I could not wait that long hence I went for the RX350 at the time.

3) The rx350 and 08 highlander have the same engine and the same AWD technology. I dont see how one can be significantly faster than the other. So dont use the 'faster' fact to make your choices .

4) The 08 highlander is a bit too big (long,wide) for me. THe Rx is perfect.

5) The all new 09 LExus RX is coming out soon and I am sure it will be a better (more luxurious) vehicle compare to the 08 highlander. The price will also be significantly more than the highlander to differentiate itself from its sibling.

Neither is a bad choice....

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-11-07 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 02:04 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new Highlander does look big from the outside, but inside is not that much more roomy than the old one.
Old 09-11-07, 02:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

or (gasp) wait for new RX to come out less than 6 months from now :-)
Old 09-11-07, 02:07 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

i think the new highlander looks great. infact, i was thinking about buying one next year and then buying myself a nice lexus sedan since i need an suv to haul stuff.

however, keep in mind that the RX is in for a redesign next year, and chances are those things that are currently available in that highalnder will be available in the RX with more features and innovations.
Old 09-11-07, 02:09 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The G Man
The new Highlander does look big from the outside, but inside is not that much more roomy than the old one.
INteresting, make me wonder what make the in-between (outside and inside) grow bigger ?
Old 09-11-07, 02:11 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

We bought a new 2002 Highlander V6 instead of a 2002 RX300. I'm glad we did because the highlander is bascially a RX anyways (minus all the luxury). We saved over $10,000 getting the Highlander instead of the RX. I'm glad we made that decision.
Old 09-11-07, 02:35 PM
zmisst
Rookie

ok, ten messages later and still little helpful information giving additional specific things that make the RX better than the new Highlander.

Yes, of course I'd get a loaded Highlander, and yes it will cost nearly as much as a Lexus -- but it will still be cheaper, for me anyway, as dealers around me don't discount Lexus much if at all.

I'm sceptical that the RX has better resale value (as a percentage of price paid) than the Highlander -- all Toyota products (lexus, toyota, scion) have great resale values.

agreed: fit and finish is probably better on the Lexus. But it's pretty good on my Prius too. Again, all Toyota products have great fit and finish.

Here are a couple other things I thought of that go in to the which-one-should-buy calculus:

* Rx has Lexus personalized settings.

I'm trying to figure out if the new Highlander has memory seats -- I can't confirm that it does. If it doesn't, that would be an additional feature that the RX has that the Highlander doesn't.

any other additional features? or other reasons to get the Lexus instead?

I haven't found much info on the new 2009 RX but this site below seems to have most info.

http://community.myride.com/kickapps...BLOG&as=3898&b

It seems nice, but I don't know if I can wait that long -- this site says it won't be out until SPRING 2009 ((gasp) 16, not 6, months from now)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...78.A13214.html

Last edited by zmisst; 09-11-07 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 02:46 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

this site says it won't be out until SPRING 2009
make that spring 2008. that sounds more like it.

there is also one other thing that you are overlooking, though im not sure if you really care for having it or not. there is also the class and prestige of driving a luxury car. going out to fancy parties at a hotel in the lexus will give you a better image than the toyota. no matter what anyone says, everyone will judge you on some level on the car you drive. i guarantee that when you step out of the lexus, somebody will be somewhat impressed. just my little addition. if thats worth 5K...then go for the lexus.
Old 09-11-07, 03:15 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
there is also one other thing that you are overlooking, though im not sure if you really care for having it or not. there is also the class and prestige of driving a luxury car. going out to fancy parties at a hotel in the lexus will give you a better image than the toyota. no matter what anyone says, everyone will judge you on some level on the car you drive. i guarantee that when you step out of the lexus, somebody will be somewhat impressed. just my little addition. if thats worth 5K...then go for the lexus.
Well, can't blame you when there are thousands of MB owners willing to shell out major $ for three pointed star on the hood and actually getting a Chrysler in return.
If I were Hyundai, I would come up with a luxury brand and completely shred the image of cheap but reliable car. How about repackage the Sonata V6 with a luxury brand "XXX", adds minor incremental feature enhancements, and call it "XXX 330" and makes tons of $ off the same car.
Wait, Toyota is already doing this with Highlander and Camry V6, as people want snob appeal and willing to pay for "L" on the hood, the same way MB owners do.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-11-07 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 04:45 PM
steiner
Driver

13 messages later and nobody gave the correct answer!

Question: Why buy a RX instead of a Highlander?

Answer: Because you want to be seen in a Lexus, not a Toyota.

Nobody buying a Lexus is that dumb to pay an extra 10K (or whatever it might be) on a car for the things they don't need. We do need it, that is the image, and obviously everyone who bought a Lexus thinks it's worth the money.

Others might disagree and say they buy the quality, the reliability, the resale value, etc. But nobody would buy any of that if it wasn't a Lexus. Just look at your car parked on the driveway and be honest: you are proud of the car and wouldn't want a Toyota there.

Quick Reply: why buy an RX instead of the new Highlander?