RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: What gas do you put into your 2RX?
Premium
0%
Medium
0%
Regular Unleaded
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Do you need Premium Gas in the 2RX (merged discussion threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 12:31 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this forum is for people to help each other out. all i see is people all taking cheap shots at each other. the lexus manual SUGGESTS using higher octane but does not make it mandatory, like some of the other models for instance the LS, and GS where it is mandatory to have higher octane. If you feel that putting higher octane fuel is always better and are willing to part with the necessary $$ to do so then by all means do it. But under no circumstance should you put other owners down just because they do not feel the same way you do. And stooping low to use terms like trailer park and such is really pointless, heck there are trailer parks here in malibu here in southern california where spaces and the trailers are worth in the millions. if you people feel that ocatne is so good hell why dont you go and put jet fuel in your car then???? that's over 100 octaneand since you guys are all rich cuz you own lexuses you should be able to afford it. GROW UP people.
Old 04-17-07, 05:36 AM
pkat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the input..

I see you all have your opinions...but I really didn't mean to start a culture war. It's not about the extra $$ it costs for higher octane, but I certainly don't want to throw money at the oil companies either.
Think I'll just continue to alternate the grades, because now I'm really confused!
Old 04-17-07, 07:59 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by pkat
I see you all have your opinions...but I really didn't mean to start a culture war. It's not about the extra $$ it costs for higher octane, but I certainly don't want to throw money at the oil companies either.
Think I'll just continue to alternate the grades, because now I'm really confused!
Good for you. The owner's manual covers everything you need to know.

If you seek opinions, well, ... mankind is nearing 7 billion inhabitants ..
Old 04-17-07, 09:48 AM
RC_Av8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jednav
Read the owner's manual - Lexus knows better than anyone else.

Now, how did the valuation of your house and your meager salary got into play?

My home and salary were in response to a "Trailer Park" comment and how it relates to being able to afford the extra cost of higher octane fuel vs. regular. You did read the previous posts right?

And yes, to some it may be considered meager but I did not use it or words like "meager" to put anyone down. Why do you feel such a need to attack me & others here? If you have any intelligent comments about octane I would like to hear them.

Dave

Last edited by RC_Av8r; 04-17-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-17-07, 09:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You you own your car for 5 years thats over a thousand dollars in extra cost to put in high octane. Let me ask you guys, who on earth would pay over a thousand dollars to gain one horsepower?
Old 04-17-07, 11:19 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
You you own your car for 5 years thats over a thousand dollars in extra cost to put in high octane. Let me ask you guys, who on earth would pay over a thousand dollars to gain one horsepower?
evidently a lot of people. and since the engine in the rx is so high performance it HAS to have it. dont forget a lot of people have a lot of $$$$ and since they can afford a lexus to begin with this is a non issue, right? like i said before if higher octane is so important to you why dont you put racing or jet fuel in your car????? i know a station around here that sells racing gas that has 98 octane, hell maybe thatll get 3 hp more.
Old 04-18-07, 06:26 PM
herky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jamesfabin

I would strongly recommend to those who think paying an extra $20 a month for a Luxury vehicle should really consider going with something from Hyundai or Kia - they are good vehicles that offer an outstanding value. You'll save a lot more and be able to afford some extra pink flamingos for outside your home.
Hey now.....
I paid cash for my 08 350...and have 16 pink flamingos in my backyard.
Old 04-19-07, 06:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Members,

I ask you to please use the report a post button when you see a with sensless insults such as this one to quickly draw a moderators attention to it.

Please keep this thead on the original topic and cease the community-destroying commentary and insults.
Old 04-19-07, 08:16 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Members,

I ask you to please use the report a post button when you see a with sensless insults such as this one to quickly draw a moderators attention to it.

Please keep this thead on the original topic and cease the community-destroying commentary and insults.
Thank you for jumping in. I am new here and was beginning to wonder if personal attacks would be allowed to continue.

I don't know where the number of one horsepower came from but I suspect it was just pulled out of the air. We can debate the performance issue forever but until someone puts a car on a dynamometer it is pure speculation. I suspect that the higher grade gas also contains additives and cleaners to keep the fuel injectors clean. There are probably long term benefits to using a higher grade gas but I probably will never see any long term benefit from using the better grade gas and synthetic oil because I usually sell or trade a car before it is time to replace the tires or battery.

I am cheap when it comes to buying gas and although I use premium as exclusively I do take the time to take note of where the stations are that sell at the lowest price and I buy my gas on 6 cents off for premium days.
Old 04-19-07, 08:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I didn't have a chance to post this earlier, but the 'which gas" question is very frequently asked and i'd advise folks to use the search feature of the forum for previous discussion on the same topic.

Here are a few I found by looking for keyword 'octane' in the threads in this forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=octane

And in that last thread I had done something similar to the above searching for 'regular' and 'premium'

RX Moderators - it may make sense once this thread has run its course to merge many of these together into one large RXFAQ thread we can sticky.
Old 04-19-07, 08:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The 1 horsepower was not pulled out of the air. It is from the Toyota / Lexus website and their horsepower rating for the RX350 and the RAV4 V6. Both SUV have the same V6 engine, same bore size, same stroke and same compression ratio. The RAV was tested with 87 octane obtaining 269hp while the RX350 using 91 octane got 270 hp. The noticable diff. was in the ft/lb torque. The RX got 5 more ft/lb of torque while using 91 ocatne. That torque increase might be slighly noticable if you are towing and no you do not get better additives and cleaners in high octane gas.
Old 04-19-07, 11:54 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

^^ true but the messed up shifiting programming by the cars computer probably erases that torque gain.
Old 04-19-07, 11:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You need to use high octane transmission fluid lol.
Old 04-19-07, 04:12 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

By the ay I can't buy 91 where I live, the stations only sell 93, and as I said before if I buy on sale days (Sun, Tue & Wed) the 6 cents off on the 93 caqme out to the same price as the 87. I just did a fill up today the price of 93 in my area is $3.29 but one of the stations I found that sells for cheaper than the rest of the stations that I go to was selling for $3.13. If I didn't shp around and know what stations sell at the lowest price I would have paid more for regular than I paid for 93.
Old 05-15-07, 01:11 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Horsepower isn't the issue with gas quality. The issue is what difference the detergent package in the fuel makes to the life of the engine. Higher Octane fuels typically have a better detergent package which helps reduce carbon etc. Try checking the websites for the various fuel companies and check what they say about this aspect.

Quick Reply: Do you need Premium Gas in the 2RX (merged discussion threads)