RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Vaistech SLI installation instructions w/ pics for 04-07 RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 08:07 PM
smacker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great writeup; i just installed a SL2Vi in my RX330 with ML and rear DVD.
I lost a bolt spent a few minutes looking for it but no luck ...as long as i doesn't make any noise no worries. and i had to take out the Navi screen as well to plug in the video harness.

My question is regarding the different modes; what's the difference between MD and CD mode. On MD i get no text; but on CD it works fine.

Also I don't see anything in the instructions about a Simple Mode where I can just control the ipod from the ipod itself. Any ideas how I can switch to this mode?
Old 02-15-09, 12:40 PM
gpolci
Driver School Candidate

Default Dension Icelink

I just thought I'd say a big thank you for the directions...

yesterday I installed a Dension Icelink Plus in my 2007 RX350 (No navigation).

Just a little tip that worked for me: when removing the two more difficult bolts, I rolled up a piece of cardboard to form a cylinder around the ratchet extension to "catch" the bolt, so it had nowhere to go except in the cardboard cylinder.

The ipod adaptor works great so far... well worth the $55 i paid on ebay for it.

Update - I had to upgrade the firmware, which took some effort, to get this to work with my wife's (newer) ipod video. I'm not sure the icelink was worth the effort to save about $80 versus a newer ipod adaptor.

Last edited by gpolci; 02-20-09 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 04:32 PM
Flyrockies
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a different device in my 2001 RX w/ Nav. It is a USA Spec Ipod Interface that allows me to charge my 3G iPhone and play my ipod through the factory Nav. Very easy install, except you don't need to remove the shifter, you just remove the trim and then pop the 4 bolts. Thanks to everyone for your posts.
Old 03-15-09, 11:15 AM
tjain
Driver

Excellent writeup LexusLover , I just installed a Peripheral Ipod gateway PXAMG, it allows to browse your music, by Artist, Album, Genre, and Playlist from the radio controls & displays info on the Nav screen.

More details about his product here:
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/?ProductId=276
Old 03-16-09, 11:44 AM
flnsx
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

So what is the consensus? DICE or vais?

Can they both do the same things on a non Nav RX?
Old 03-16-09, 12:54 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by flnsx
So what is the consensus? DICE or vais?

Can they both do the same things on a non Nav RX?
Dice has freezing issues.

For me it was Vais or Peripheral's iSimple

Vais: Pros: Integrates seamlessly , has more models and video on Nav capability on a certain model Cons: Expensive than iSimple ($200 + vs $169)
ISimple: Pros: integrates Seamlessly, HDRadio module(can be attched to the gateway), Not expensive No Cons So far if you have the latest fimware.

Lot of iSimple kits available on ebay as low as $60.Just buy the isimple on ebay even if it says Ford or anyother brand (PXAMG gateway is common for all car models) and just buy a Lexus/Toyota specific PGHTY1 harness. That's what I did bought a ford iSimple which included gateway PXAMG for $30 at Circuit City & a harness on ebay for $5 incl. shipping for a total of $35. Note that the cable for Ipod does not charge IPhone 3G

ISimple is available on a Acura forum for $139 in a group buy.

PXAMG is a recipient of a 2008 CES Innovations Award, the PXAMG is the first interface to bring the iPod,HD Radio broadcasting, and many other portable media products into a vehicle.

Last edited by tjain; 03-16-09 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 03:03 PM
flnsx
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Info tjain thanks! I don't' see a 2006 RX400h with no nav on the list of compatible vehicles for the isimple or the PGHTY1 connector.....

Anyone use this on their 06 RX400h with no nav?

Last edited by flnsx; 03-16-09 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 05:44 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by flnsx
Great Info tjain thanks! I don't' see a 2006 RX400h with no nav on the list of compatible vehicles for the isimple or the PGHTY1 connector.....

Anyone use this on their 06 RX400h with no nav?
I just sent you a PM, my friend installed it on a non-nav RX350, no issues, so you should be OK.
Old 04-21-09, 02:15 AM
CLHarrier
Driver School Candidate

Battery Disconnnect?

Is is necessary to disconnect the automobile's battery before trying to connect the VAIS unit?

Thanks for the very informative post!
Old 11-08-09, 02:43 PM
Teletubbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks LexusLover for the great detailed instruction with pictures. Following your instructions, I was able to install the USA-Spec PA15-TOY ipod car kit on my 2009 RX350 (with no Nav, no Sat.)

I found an easy way to avoid the two upper bolts falling off. I used these Super Strong Rare-Earth Magnets (got it for $0.25 shipped on a sale.) These magnets are the right size and you can put a couple of these inside the wrench socket. You first loosen the bolt to half-way without the magnet, and then insert the magnet in the socket and remove it fully. The loose bolt nicely sticks to the magnet without falling off.

I was able to fish the ipod cable from the back of the radio to the glove box. I can now safely store the ipod inside the glove box when the car is parked.
Old 11-09-09, 03:18 PM
Chazzman
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue with sound quality, but mine creates a noticable hiss when playing music from the iPod. The song starts somewhat clear, then the hiss gets much louder after about 5-6 seconds into the song. I am not terribly impressed.
Old 11-10-09, 01:41 PM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do get some background noise on mine. Not really a hiss but more of a low level warble. As soon as I play a podcast or music, the noise is masked.
Old 11-22-09, 11:21 PM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Default locating IPOD in glove compartment?

Hi, those are great instructions for installing an IPOD adapter. My wife's been wanting an adapter for her 2006 RX400h since we bought it four years ago. I finally purchased a DICE (two years ago, I wanted to buy a VAIS, but now the DICE looks better), but I still have to install it. Your instructions look great, but my wife wants her IPOD in the glove compartment. I read in another post that you just push some tabs to release the compartment, but I'll be darn if I can find any "tabs." So do you (or anyone) have some hints about how to get the glove compartment out? Pictures would be especially good. Thanks.
Old 12-25-09, 11:52 PM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great instructions - my stealership wanted AU$980 to supply and install the Ipod interface. Thanks to this thread I saved a fortune.

To release the glove box, open it and look in the top right and left corners, where the top of the box rests against the inside of the dash moulding. On each side there is a black plastic plug with a flat tab (like a little handle). Rotate it 90 degrees and it should pull straight out. One of mine was very stiff and I had to ease it out with pliers. As you take each one out, note its orientation to make reassembly easier. Once they're out the glove box will just flop down.

I installed my Soundlinq as per the original post but with the Ipod in the glove box. Use a Stanley knife to cut a slot in the top of the box just big enough for the Ipod plug to go through. Allow enough slack inside the glove box then tape the cable to the outside so it doesn't flop around.

To hold the Ipod in place I routed a groove just slightly bigger than the Ipod in a piece of pine, covered it in adhesive black felt and glued it to the top of the glove box. The Ipod just slots in there, and the felt protects it. Be careful not to put the holder too close to the securing tabs discussed above, otherwise you won't get them back in. You can also use a bit of the black felt to trim up the hole where the cable pokes through.
Old 12-28-09, 05:29 AM
titine54
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjain
Excellent writeup LexusLover , I just installed a Peripheral Ipod gateway PXAMG, it allows to browse your music, by Artist, Album, Genre, and Playlist from the radio controls & displays info on the Nav screen.

More details about his product here:
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/?ProductId=276

Hi,

In, what RX have you got?
Cause I want buy it but want to be sure that it will work in my car...
And as I'm french, it's hard for me to find information about it...

Sorry for my poor english.

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI installation instructions w/ pics for 04-07 RX