RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Annoying Beeps

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 06:34 PM
srashid
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Beeps

Anybody know how to turn off the 2 beeps when the tailgate is opening/closing? When I had my LPS settings done they said there isn't but I know forum members here usually know a way.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-06, 07:48 PM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

If your car is an '04, it cannot be done. You can add more beeps, but 2 is the lowest limit. I find it annoying but tolerable.

I understand from previous posts that '06 and maybe '05 models can be set for no beeps, but this has to be done by the dealer's computer using what we used to call the C-Best settings but now its some other name. Anyway, all those options are posted elsewhere here, and I have found that if I have the car in for service and ask nicely, they will change something in there for me without charge, although many here report that dealers will charge for this service (especially if it's the only thing you are there for), even though it only takes a few minutes.

When I picked up my '04 as a CPO, I had them make some changes to the defaults, and it's a very quick and easy process, but it can only be done by using the special Lexus computer. We messed around with it a while to see if the beeps could be turned off completely, but it could not, which is what the documentation indicates.

On a related note, the manner of door locking and unlocking can be changed by you, but this is described in the manual. As far as I know, that is the only such setting that is user adjustable.
Old 07-12-06, 10:30 PM
srashid
Driver

Default Annoying beeps

Thanks tfischer, I have a 2005 RX330. THe C-BEST is now called LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) I believe, but when I had those set they said 2 beeps minimum. I'll try again next time with the service rep. Any links to the posts covering this? I did a search but couldn't find the info.
Old 07-13-06, 05:08 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the 2004, I don't see anything in the service manual about changing the number of beeps, but I see a setting for the volume of the beeps.

Setting: PDB BUZZ VOL
Choices: Large (default), Small, Off
Change the volume of tbe buzzer during the operation of the power back door.

At least in 2004, the service manual listed more settings for the C-BEST settings than the brochure that Lexus later released when they changed the name to LPS.. Maybe the LPS program is centered around the most popular settings, but the computers are capable of more.
Old 07-14-06, 11:10 AM
srashid
Driver

Default annoying beeps

Thanks rxdriver, I'll try and get these switched off by the dealer soon.

I have to go back anyway because I had them do the setting which means the power door always operates even when you use the liftgate handle, and now I find that's a bit of a pain sometimes so I want it reversed.
Old 07-14-06, 11:25 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by srashid
I had them do the setting which means the power door always operates even when you use the liftgate handle, and now I find that's a bit of a pain sometimes so I want it reversed.
Is that what "assistance of opening with door opener" does? You lift the handle and the power door operates? That function is off as default and I never knew exactly what that does.
Old 07-14-06, 11:39 AM
tfischer

That sounds dangerous to me.

Sometimes in close quarters or in a garage with a low ceiling I will carefully lift the rear door manually to be sure it does not hit anything.

Actually, I was surprised to find out how well balanced it is and how easy and effortless it is to open and close it by hand (and no beeping). The power opening and closing is way over the top, but I just love having it available.
Old 07-14-06, 04:30 PM
srashid
Driver

I find the power liftgate really useful, in fact it's one of the best features on the RX, and now most luxury SUVs offer this, but I agree it's a pain in the parking garage sometimes and also sometimes it's quicker to do it manually so that's why I will have this feature reversed (the one where if you touch the rear handle catch it opens electrically).

I'm going to try and get this done without paying the $50 again though!

PS these 'personalized settings needing to be done by the dealer is a con in my opinion. I had a 99 Jeep which you could do a lot of this stuff on yourself via the trip computer
Old 07-15-06, 06:55 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago, changing the C-BEST settings was a courtesy. Many dealers will still make changes for free if you're bringing the car in for some other kind of service and you ask them to do it at the same time. The dealers must have gotten tired of people coming in only for that reason, so that's when Lexus changed the program into LPS, producing a menu of choices and putting a price tag on it.
Old 07-15-06, 06:59 AM
tfischer

On the 3 Lexus cars that I have owned over the past 15 years, I have not had to pay for any of these changes that I requested, although I have not requested many. The above post reflects my experiences: ask nicely when you have the car in for something else, and most dealers, I would think, will do it.

I have seen it done, and it takes 60 seconds.

Well, maybe 90.