RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

400h Electric steering and other 330:400 comparison ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 09:12 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400h Electric steering and other 330:400 comparison ??'s

I am looking at 06 400H's and 330's on Wednesday - contemplating between them, and I watched the online 400h videos tonight and was curious about the electric steering. Is this just an electrically assisted steering system, much like hydraulic assist, or is it totally steer by wire? If the computer were to fry while driving down the road at 75mph, would I be able to safely steer the vehicle to the side of the road or would I have essentially a non-working computer joystick in my hands?

I have read reviews about the mileage being poor on the 400h, even worse than the 330, and with fuel inching closer to $3 per gallon this is becoming more important. Is the mpg really that bad - I drive 30 miles each way to work on the interstate, so I would not benefit from the electric motors as much. Would I be better off with the 330 given that almost all my driving is highway? The tax-break this year for buying hybrid would just about offset the difference in comparably loaded 400h and 330's, but I want something that gets mid to high 20's or low 30's on the interstate. I do like the niftyness of the 400h and the power boost sounds nice, but I am reading lots of stuff about engine noise and ride oddities of the 400h so I am at a loss on which would be best. Anyone have any input they could share? Thanks!
Old 08-14-05, 10:03 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rcltrh
I am looking at 06 400H's and 330's on Wednesday - contemplating between them, and I watched the online 400h videos tonight and was curious about the electric steering. Is this just an electrically assisted steering system, much like hydraulic assist, or is it totally steer by wire? If the computer were to fry while driving down the road at 75mph, would I be able to safely steer the vehicle to the side of the road or would I have essentially a non-working computer joystick in my hands?

I have read reviews about the mileage being poor on the 400h, even worse than the 330, and with fuel inching closer to $3 per gallon this is becoming more important. Is the mpg really that bad - I drive 30 miles each way to work on the interstate, so I would not benefit from the electric motors as much. Would I be better off with the 330 given that almost all my driving is highway? The tax-break this year for buying hybrid would just about offset the difference in comparably loaded 400h and 330's, but I want something that gets mid to high 20's or low 30's on the interstate. I do like the niftyness of the 400h and the power boost sounds nice, but I am reading lots of stuff about engine noise and ride oddities of the 400h so I am at a loss on which would be best. Anyone have any input they could share? Thanks!
Not to offend anybody, but imo the electric motor, and streering is not for me maybe in 5 to ten years from now especially the electric motor. The 330 maybe not be as advance as the 400, but it does really well for cheaper fully loaded.
Old 08-15-05, 05:27 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, it's not drive-by-wire. The Lexus web site says it's "progressive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering. Additionally, electronic power steering (EPS) makes the 400h that much easier to manuever in tight spaces."

As for the mileage reports, there are a couple of reviews posted here that are criticizing the mileage rating mainly because the reviewers' tests are mostly highway driving. The hybrid drivetrain really isn't meant to improve highway mileage - it's for stop-and-go city driving. Although the hybrid's EPA highway rating is a bit higher than the RX330 (27 vs. 24 mpg), the extra cost of the hybrid can't possibly be worth that slight improvement if you're doing mostly highway driving. Also, the RX400h weighs a little more than the RX330 and has a smaller gas tank (both due to the batteries). I'd see the smaller tank as a definite inconvenience if I were racking up lots of highway miles.

The RX330 would probably be more appropriate for you, although you're looking at mid-20's for highway mileage - not 30.
Old 08-15-05, 07:28 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are looking mostly for better mileage and you drive mostly on the interstate/freeways, I would say the 400H is probably not the best bet for you at this time. Yes, you do get the added power and toque from the electric motors when used, but the hybrid system works at its best in slower speed city and stop and go traffc. I don't think you will see 30 MPG from the 330 though. I get a combined average of 21-22 MPG with my 04 RX330. I drive mostly on the freeways (65-70%), but my wife does drive it in morning and afternoon traffic when she takes it to work and also in city for a few miles when we get into town near work. For me, I work the night shift so I am rarely in traffic and spend most of my commute at freeway speeds, so I think 21-22 MPG is pretty good.
Old 08-15-05, 09:03 AM
LCB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if price is nearly the same with the tax deduction for fully loaded cars, you mind as well just get the 400h. More power, 2006 model with new front bumper and grille, better city gas mileage for when you are in city traffic. Plus, I think resale value will hold much higer for the 400h's.
Old 08-15-05, 01:48 PM
mmahamm
Driver

...I have read reviews about the mileage being poor on the 400h, even worse than the 330, and with fuel inching closer to $3 per gallon this is becoming more important. Is the mpg really that bad - I drive 30 miles each way to work on the interstate, so I would not benefit from the electric motors as much. Would I be better off with the 330 given that almost all my driving is highway? The tax-break this year for buying hybrid would just about offset the difference in comparably loaded 400h and 330's, but I want something that gets mid to high 20's or low 30's on the interstate. I do like the niftyness of the 400h and the power boost sounds nice, but I am reading lots of stuff about engine noise and ride oddities of the 400h so I am at a loss on which would be best. Anyone have any input they could share? Thanks!
If you are extremely concerned about the cost of gas from week to week, then why are you buying a Lexus? Seems to me if you are buying a Lexus, you have enough money you should not be concerned about a few miles per gallon.

You could save money now AND weekly if you buy a 4-cylinder FWD Highlander. Better yet, buy a Certified Pre-owned 4-cylinder FWD Highlander and save even more.
Old 08-15-05, 02:56 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmahamm
If you are extremely concerned about the cost of gas from week to week, then why are you buying a Lexus? Seems to me if you are buying a Lexus, you have enough money you should not be concerned about a few miles per gallon.

You could save money now AND weekly if you buy a 4-cylinder FWD Highlander. Better yet, buy a Certified Pre-owned 4-cylinder FWD Highlander and save even more.
Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. It is not necessarily the money being spent that bugs me, it's more who it is going to and the why's behind it. I have a C class Mercedes that gets about 37 mpg that is my daily work driver, but would like the Lexus for when we go on longer trips, which is pretty often, plus I would drive it to work as well off and on. My current SUV is an '04 Sequoya and it gets about 10 mpg on good days, and it just ticks me off that we are getting raped by the oil men as a result of idiot politicians. Not even going to go there I like the dependability of Lexus as I once had an LS400 that was a very good car, so would like to get another Lexus in SUV form since I really like them, but dont want something buggy or something that will end up being a money pit once the warranty expires. I am glad to know it is not drive-by-wire as I think that and the equally new and improved brake-by-wire have to be the most unsafe ideas anyone has ever had.

On another note, I did find out today that there is no OEM XM radio, and no way to add it, so I think I am leaning away from the RX's and looking towards something else - not sure what. I added XM to both my Sequoya and my Tundra Doublecab just by buying the module/antenna and plugging it in to the existing Toyota Nav systems. Unbelieveable that Toyota would not allow the same in the RX. The dealer said the Nav's in the RX's are not connected to the radios, and there there is no OEM XM module or functionality that can be added. They said they can just add one of the aftermarket types and hide it in the sunglass holder. Give me a break. I am not paying 50K+ for a vehicle to have to have some XM Roady with FM modulation added to the sunglasses holder. Does anyone know if this is true about not being able to add the Toyota/Lexus XM module? The Lexus sedans have it available, so why not the RX?

Anyway, I am still going to go drive the RX's on Wednesday, but after talking to the dealer today I am not so sure. I really like my XM radios.
Old 08-15-05, 03:04 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Befoer you dismiss the RX330 because of the XM radio, take a look at this company http://www.vaistech.com/home.html They make an OEM interface that allows you to hook up iPods, XM radio, DVD systems though the OEM navigation screen and what not. It might be a perfect product for what you need. With this product you can add any aftermarket XM and it will run though your sock system and NOT using FM modulation.
Old 08-15-05, 05:15 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

On another note, I did find out today that there is no OEM XM radio, and no way to add it...The Lexus sedans have it available, so why not the RX?
Somebody heard you - the 2006 RX330 will have satellite radio capability in the second half of the model year. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172599
Old 08-15-05, 05:18 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Befoer you dismiss the RX330 because of the XM radio, take a look at this company http://www.vaistech.com/home.html They make an OEM interface that allows you to hook up iPods, XM radio, DVD systems though the OEM navigation screen and what not. It might be a perfect product for what you need. With this product you can add any aftermarket XM and it will run though your sock system and NOT using FM modulation.
Hey. Thanks a ton. That's looks like just the solution I would need. Does the 06 have cd text so that this interface would show the names of the songs and artists and such? I still cannot seriously believe that this is not an option. It is nice to know you can get factory installed XM in the Camry, the Chevy Cavalier, and Pontiac Sunfire (and about 50 other vehicles) but not in a $50K Lexus. Geez, Toyota, get a clue. Thanks again for the info!
Old 08-15-05, 05:20 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Somebody heard you - the 2006 RX330 will have satellite radio capability in the second half of the model year. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172599
Cool. Our posts must have crossed. So maybe I should wait until February.... Hmm. Interesting. Thanks again!
Old 08-18-05, 03:27 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

Well I bought the RX330. Got the last 2005 with navigation the dealer had left on the lot. Already ordered the vaistech xm satellite emulator device, so I should have my xm again shortly. Thanks again CK6 for tipping me off to that (actually the Lexus place should thank you since if you hadn't posted that I was really not even going to go there, and would have had something else instead). I wasn't really all that wowed by the 400h, especially not enough to justify the extra $7K it would have cost me since most driving this vehicle will see will be interstate driving. Still relying on the mercedes for daily work driving anyway with its better mileage.

The 400h was peppy and seemed ok inside, but I really like the wood trim and all that painted silver plastic just didn't make me feel as classy as real wood does It was nice though. Kind of reminded me of the IS300 -more sporty than snooty, but I tend to be more snooty that sporty so the wood does more for me haha! I also worry about future maintenance costs when the warranty runs out and you have all those motors and generators everywhere (drive motor, steering motors, a/c motors, 4 wheel brake generators, etc.). The gas cap vapor lock problem also worried me as did the cvt issues that people have been talking about. In a couple years I am moving to NYC and all that salt, snow, and salty damp air is bound to do numbers on all those motors. Currently I live 80 miles from the nearest dealership, so even if the warranty were to cover things for a while, it's still a hassle to make that long trip which always lasts all day and having to miss work and such. I know I can run into the same thing with the 330, I just feel more secure with something tried and true than a new release. Maybe my next new Lexus in a few years will be a hybrid.

The 400h was tempting just for the novelty, and it did ride and drive fine. It seemed heavier on the road than the 330, but truly I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two. I do love my 330 so far though. It gets MUCH better mileage than the '04 Sequoia and '04 Tundra DC, both of which I traded in on it. They were the worst GAS HOGS I have ever had, and I have had over 30 cars in my lifetime. When gas was $1.20 a gallon, it wasn't as much of an annoyance as it is now. Even if I do have the money to pay it and not worry about it, it still really bothers me to drive up to the pump and put in $65 and then have it only last 3 days of driving if I drove either one of them back and forth to work for a week or two.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited by rcltrh; 08-18-05 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 09:20 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

330 and the 400 are one in the same. only difference is the hybrid stuff. imo gettin a hybrid is more for the city ppl. stop and go traffic. ive ask a couple coustomers about their gas milage and they said they average about 25 mpg in the city. a lot less on the high way. hybrids are designed for stop and go type areas. if u live in a place where u have to drive long trips to get to where you need to go. hybrid is not the way to go. toyota/lexus designed their primary drive from the electrick motor. driving on the highway or long stretch roads. you going to find ur foot more on the accelerator than the brake. when u brake you recharge the main battery. if ur on the highway most of the time. the engine will need to turn on and recharge the main battery thus loading the engine just to recharge the battery. so for those ppl who drive long distance. i suggest not getting a hybrid. but for those who live in a heavy populated area where gas is 300 a gallon and with lots of stop and go traffic. its ideal to have a hybrid. so i hope this helps
Old 08-25-05, 10:20 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

The main difference in steering between the 330 and the 400 is the steering pumps. The 330's is powered by a belt off the engine while the 400 is electric uses electricity from the main system.

This is done to save energy. The other area Lexus/Toyota has done this is with the AC Condensor, it is also electric rather than stealing power through a belt off the engine.