RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Transmission TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-04, 05:49 PM
Jasper2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX330 Transmission TSB?

I read the TSB on the transmission update. My question is: is this new transmission software now coming as "factory-installed" in the RX330's being delivered?

My RX330 AWD, built in Japan in October 2003, exhibits these problems (transmission "hunting", 2nd/3rd problems, downshifts, etc). When I had it in the dealer for the 5,000 mile service, I discussed this with the Service Writer. When I picked up the car, they told me that my transmission was already "current" - that yes, there was an "update" for the transmission, but that they checked and my RX330 had the most current update already installed. They reset the computer and asked me to "monitor it."

Does this sound correct? From reading the TSB, it seems like this is an "alternate" version of transmission software - not an update that they ALL now come with.

Please advise your thoughts... don't want to argue with the dealer, but the transmission still kinda sucks...

Thanks!!
Old 02-29-04, 03:36 PM
JKIrwin
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy RX 330 transmission and other problems

We are still getting used to our 1st Lexus and 1st SUV. Purchased just before Christmas. Have noticed the same problems with the transmission. Only have 2000 miles, and over heard the service manager, at purchase, indicated that it was the "old" transmission. Also the vehicle has a very noticiable engine ticking. We were told that that is the fuel injector and nothing can be done about it. Very dissatisfied with that answer and have written to Lexus about it. Our Camry was quieter!!. If we get the same results with the transmission as you did, I think that we should find others that are dissatisfied and do everything we can to get Lexus to correct our problem, or try getting the matter fixed thru Lemon Law. If we wanted a crumby transmission and a noisy engine we would have bought a KIA.!!!!
Old 02-29-04, 04:15 PM
nyca
Driver School Candidate

the NY lemon law won't help you, the car basically has to be un-driveable for coverage under that. a ticking fuel injector won't qualify.
Old 02-29-04, 05:10 PM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

the lemon law may not be the answer but if someone was able to start a petition and write a letter to Lexus about the ticking, maybe we can all get some satisfaction. I too was told that this is a "characteristic" of the RX330 and can't be fixed.
Old 03-01-04, 06:58 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

I had the transmission update done at my 5K mile service, and it seems in my case that it hasn't helped the shifting issue much, if at all. If you look at the poll on this forum concerning the TSB, it seems that it helps in most cases, but not all.

I get the ticking too, but it doesn't bother me much, as I tend to keep the stereo loud (not purposely to drown it out) enough that I don't hear it. The shifting, on the other hand, is pretty annoying. During the test drive/purchase process, the salespeople I talked to touted the fact that the transmission was supposed to adapt itself to the driving style of the driver. They also said that it might be noticeable if there were multiple drivers, the shifting might be noticeable after a driver switch as the transmission would be "learning" the driving style of the new driver. If these shfting issues are related to this adaptable transmission, then it's a case of it all sounding very good on paper, but amounting to very bad execution, and I almost wish you could just turn off that feature.
Old 03-01-04, 07:31 AM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

i also had the tsb update done at my 5k service and it made a big difference. it's still not perfect but much better than before.

i agree with the radio doing a good job to mask the noise but when i have other people in the car i typically don't have the radio on and the ticking noise, for a lexus, is embarrassing.