RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

[need help] Should I replace "shaft", if axle nut lost for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 01:46 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default [need help] Should I replace "shaft", if axle nut lost for a long time

Sorry to bother again, but I feel no better place can educate me than here.

It is a follow up question from my last post, where I mentioned my rear wheel bearing is falling.

Today, I bring my OEM wheel bearings to the repair shop (Sears auto), and let them replace. After 2 hours, they called me. They told me that I lost my axle nut (rear, passenger side, see photo) for a long time. That is the reason why my wheel bearing is damaged. They said because of this, they must replace "half shaft" together, because it is probably damaged too. At meanwhile, they must replace the hubs too.

Now, my bill get increased to over $1000. It is a big amount. I wanted to be educated before next move.

1. What is "half shaft" in the context? Part number? Should I really need to replace it? Replace both sides or just the damaged side?
2. Should I replace the hubs? I think it can be reused, right? If I do need to replace them, can I use non-OEM parts?
3. If I replace all of them, the labor should be the same as I just replace the bearing, is it true?

I love this car, and already put much money into it this two years (new tires, rotors, brakes, sensors, timing belts, water pumps, drive belts), and I really want to keep it for more years. Now, it is another big bill, so I have to make decision wisely......

Last edited by lserlohn; 07-07-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-07-16, 04:35 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Well that would explain why the bearing was ruinied. That nut keeps the bearing together. But how did it go missing? Have you had previous work done on that wheel? Take it back to the shop and ask them why they didnt replace the axle nut. Make them fix the problem. That nut is set to 130 lbs/ft and is staked in place. It doesnt just fall off. Someone forgot to put it back on.

I dont see how the half shaft could be damaged. The rear wheels hardly ever drive the vehicle unless there is slippage. I'm almost certain the hub is just fine as well. Unless the splines are damaged, the hub is useable. I think you are being hosed. Im not sure I would let them fix it. Something sounds fishy to me. Unless the axle popped out of the hub which is nearly impossible, its not damaged from the nut being gone. The bearing is trashed as the races were allowed to shift. I would replace the bearing and nut and be done with it. Looking at the axle threads, its very rusted. Its been gone a long time.

Last edited by Drcoffee; 07-07-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-07-16, 04:57 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Thanks for your great input. You know, that is why I trust people here but be conservative to the mechanican in the shop.

They quoted me a pretty low price, so I went there. But after one hour, they called me, pushing me to do this and do that. I was suspicious about their new requirements, so I came back and asked here. It is always a smart decision.

I took one day off my job today, but it turned out to be totally waste time.

I have no idea why that nut is missing. But I am sure it is long time ago...

I came from Milwaukee, so it is so rusty.
Old 07-07-16, 06:31 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I will add on to what was already suggested by DrCoffee.

Clearly the fault is who ever did the last disassembly and improper assembly.

Other than spline, the threads (that look rusted .. which is not a big issue), but the threads may be ruined near the far end.

Check the spline on the shaft and the hub and the threads. If all three are good then simply put on a new nut and lock mechanism.

During disassembly, novice (I dont expect it from sears) use a hammer and ruin the threads. Once the threads are ruined, one has to get a new half-shaft.

The bearing is definitely ruined and with loose haft (or even no shaft), the bearing can not support the weight of the RX.

They are called half-shafts as they extend half the width ... diff to each wheel.

Salim
Old 07-07-16, 07:30 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Those axles are pretty tough. I would bet you could brush off the rust and then with a lot of wd40, run the nut back and forth until the threads are cleaned off. Once the threads are clean, coat them in MP grease and torque the nut on. But Salim is right, the bearing needs replacing.

How long have you been driving the truck without the axle nut on it? Did you notice any problems during that time?
Old 07-07-16, 08:24 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

OK, I don't think doing tire replacement or tire rotation requires to remove that nut.

The only possible work I recently done may touch that is the rear brake rotor replacement, if that work needs to remove the nut... That is 1 years ago. I don't think they would admit this.

I didn't have any problem until last week, the wheel became noisy.

Is it called "CV Joint Half Shaft"? I can not find many related parts. Is there difference between 2WD and AWD? Is this one good for the rear AWD?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-CV-Joi...JXLQGP&vxp=mtr

I wish I don't need to replace it anyway...tomorrow, I will ask my trusted guy to examine it. In case, I have to buy...

Last edited by lserlohn; 07-07-16 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 05:10 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Agree here with Drcoffee...as long as the threads aren't bent up on the axle end, it can most likely be reused when cleaned up. There is no need to touch the axle nut when doing a rear rotor replacement. However I can theorize that someone might attempt to do that while being frustrated to pull a rusted stuck rotor off of the hub although pointless.

After the nut is torqued, there is a "cap" that goes on top of the nut and a cotter pin that is used to secure everything in place to prevent the axle nut to back off.
Old 07-08-16, 07:05 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by lserlohn
OK, I don't think doing tire replacement or tire rotation requires to remove that nut.

The only possible work I recently done may touch that is the rear brake rotor replacement, if that work needs to remove the nut... That is 1 years ago. I don't think they would admit this.
edit .. snip
I suspect this service is the culprit. Folks not familiar with RX may open the axle nut. Even if they did not, they should have told you that you are missing the axle nut. They should not have released the vehicle back to you without cautioning you.

Salim
Old 07-08-16, 01:04 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I suspect this service is the culprit. Folks not familiar with RX may open the axle nut. Even if they did not, they should have told you that you are missing the axle nut. They should not have released the vehicle back to you without cautioning you.

Salim
very possible the service was the culprit...if they did not put in the cotter pin, the axle nut has a high likelihood of eventually backing off