RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt Condition after 17yrs and 75k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 11:12 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Timing Belt Condition after 17yrs and 75k miles

From the "Hindsight is always 20/20" dept:

I just had my T-belt and Spark Plugs replaced because the car is 17 years old, not necessarily because of the mileage.

The belt (as seen in the pics) and plugs are in pristine condition. I expected the plugs to be in good shape, but I expected to see a little wear on the belt. Oh well, now I have piece of mind.
Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Condition after 17yrs and 75k miles-img_0130.jpg   Timing Belt Condition after 17yrs and 75k miles-img_0127.jpg  
Old 04-22-16, 11:50 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting. I always wondered if time and heat would degrade the timing belt. I suppose there could be some deterioration that's not visible, but it's nice to know the original parts were made to last. I think replacing them now is a good idea just in case. My '99 just turned 80,000. Someone replaced the timing belt early, but I may change the plugs soon. Two of the ignition coils went bad; I'm tempted to replace them all, especially if I change the valve cover to solve the oil consumption problem. Those rear coils and plugs are a bear, especially the middle one. I'll never have better access then when the valve cover is off!
Old 04-22-16, 12:09 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by trhs75
Interesting. I always wondered if time and heat would degrade the timing belt. I suppose there could be some deterioration that's not visible, but it's nice to know the original parts were made to last. I think replacing them now is a good idea just in case. My '99 just turned 80,000. Someone replaced the timing belt early, but I may change the plugs soon. Two of the ignition coils went bad; I'm tempted to replace them all, especially if I change the valve cover to solve the oil consumption problem. Those rear coils and plugs are a bear, especially the middle one. I'll never have better access then when the valve cover is off!
Yea I considered doing the plugs myself but I've heard too many stories about the rear 3 plugs, so I just had the dealership do it along with the T-Belt. I have a trusted Toyota shop I go to.

As to the belt, for the first 11 years of this car's life it was in Pittsburgh, so you had cold extremes there maybe not so many REALLY hot days. The car has been in Arizona for the past 6 years so that should qualify for the extreme heat exposure. And the belt still looks the way it does...
Old 04-22-16, 06:23 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Don't beat yourself up over it. It could look good and snap on you tomorrow! 17 years on any timing belt is living on borrowed time.
Old 04-22-16, 06:24 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

jbl; I kinda been wondering about the t-belt on mine as well. Because the dealer I got my rx from had no previous service records; so there was no indication of whether or not the t-belt had been changed or not. There also is no sticker on the outside of the t belt cover to show when it was last changed; so its possible this is the original or second tbelt; not sure though. I have had my rx for a year and 3 months as of today and so far Ive had no issues. Not sure either whether or not my rx has been in arizona its whole life. Im thinking it has been just because of the fact that its in really good shape cosmetically other then some stone chips, etc here and there and some scratches here and there. But back to the tbelt. I know for sure I will have to change it out at 180,000. Currently it has almost 154,000 on it and I hope Im not riding on borrowed time so to speak. As it is; I have to get my 2 drive belts changed out as one of them definitely has cracks in it and i dont want that snapping on me. Also need to get the brake fluid flushed and refilled.
Old 04-23-16, 07:38 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by matts6887
Not sure either whether or not my rx has been in arizona its whole life. Im thinking it has been just because of the fact that its in really good shape cosmetically other then some stone chips, etc here and there and some scratches here and there. But back to the tbelt. I know for sure I will have to change it out at 180,000. Currently it has almost 154,000 on it and I hope Im not riding on borrowed time so to speak. As it is; I have to get my 2 drive belts changed out as one of them definitely has cracks in it and i dont want that snapping on me. Also need to get the brake fluid flushed and refilled.
Matts: I have heard some suggest that this belt would last the life of the vehicle, and some who say change it exactly when Toyota/Lexus says. I changed mine because it was 17 years old. It came out looking pretty damn good, and while I am not regretting the decision to get it changed out, I'm pretty sure it could have gotten another few years out of it. I get what sktn77a is saying and I think I might try doing some pull-ups with that old T-Belt from a tree to see if it's still that strong

One thing you might want to consider is getting a carfax on your car. I am not a fan of these reports as I think the information on them, as a whole, is pretty useless (i.e. @34000 miles, "Maintenance check" - really tells a lot, eh?). However it will tell you WHERE the car has been titled in and that will solve the mystery as to where your car came from.
Old 04-23-16, 08:45 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Just a refresher ...

Timing belt is just one piece of the thing that needs attention. Milage is used as in indicative of use (the real use is rotation of the belt ,,, when you idle, the belt is getting worn while the miles are not increasing). It is also tied to closest service interval and it is based on almost "0" failure rate. The interval was earlier set at 90k and later (may be with newer belt) was bumped up to 110k.

There are rollers and tensioner and water pump along the timing belt. The belt itself is about $40 item and the others run unto $X00. Some how we get fixated to the belt.

The other issue with belt is with low milage (time based) the belt tends to stay in one position and as it makes it way around, can develop memory. When you take the belt off it may not like to remain in a perfect circle. These bends cause molecular retention pattern and can compromise the integrity. Same thing with tires .. when you dont use the vehicle for long, get it on the blocks.

Salim
Old 04-23-16, 09:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well; I am just guessing that mine may have been changed at some point because even though there is no sticker on the outside of the cover showing if it was changed; its possible that mine may have been changed before I got the rx. As i said so far Ive had no issues(thankfully). And I hope I dont between now and when the time comes that Lexus says its supposed to be changed at which for me is in about another 26,000 miles at 180,000. However i do not know for sure if mine was changed or not because as i said there is no sticker on the case so it is also possible that this is the original t belt in which case i COULD be riding on "borrowed time" and I just hope that it doesnt go boom on me and damage the internals at which point its new engine time.
Old 04-23-16, 01:29 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Matts, also check the Lexus website. You can register as the owner using your VIN and find out any maintenance done at a Lexus dealer. I doubt Toyota dealers report on here, and of course independents wouldn't be likely to. You can report maintenance you perform or have done. Might be worth a shot!
Old 04-23-16, 01:45 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Matts, also check the Lexus website. You can register as the owner using your VIN and find out any maintenance done at a Lexus dealer. I doubt Toyota dealers report on here, and of course independents wouldn't be likely to. You can report maintenance you perform or have done. Might be worth a shot!
Actually the Toyota dealership's do report on the Lexus website - the work I had done this past Thursday is listed.
Old 04-23-16, 03:54 PM
matts6887
Racer

trhs; Im pretty sure i tried to check before on the Lexus site; but from my recollection; it did not show anything anywhere about the t-belt being changed by either a lexus or toyota dealer. So if it was done; then chances are it had to be at a independent shop. But again i dont know for sure if it was ever done or if this is the original from the factory belt in which case that means its 17 years old in which case I am surprised that its lasted this long!. I may try checking that lexus site again though to be sure it isnt there but I dont believe it is.
Old 04-23-16, 06:02 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I'm glad you checked. You certainly did the right thing by changing the belt, I think.
Old 04-24-16, 09:27 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well, I'm glad you checked. You certainly did the right thing by changing the belt, I think.
you are mistaken; I myself never had my t belt changed but like i said its possible it may have been changed before only I dont know for sure it it was or not due to there being no record of it or any sticker on the outside of the t belt cover.
Old 04-25-16, 12:38 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, as Salim says, the 90,000 mile service interval is based on a "0"% failure rate, given that the consequences of failure are catastrophic. In reality, 99% of cars can probably go 180,000 miles before changing the belt. The question is, are you one of the "1%".

Or as the man once said, "Do you feel lucky?".

"Well, do ya?"

Old 04-25-16, 02:57 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

A Hall of Fame ClubLexus poster named Roger58 proved that idler bearings were dry at 90k miles. I proved the same to myself. The belt may go 180k miles but other components may not.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Condition after 17yrs and 75k miles