RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lucas Products

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 02:22 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Lucas Products

Can anyone confirm any products by Lucas that you have seen to work and if it's safe for the RX300 line . I use Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer and that helps slow my leaky valve covers down a little bit. I've got 195k on my 2000 RX300, i just purchased Lucas Fuel System cleaner and it says it's safe for any engine but i want to confirm with people just incase, i'm sure they wouldn't sell a product that would cause issues but i know these luxury Yota's can be sensitive to things, such as 10w30 instead of 5w30, 10w30 causes mine to shift poorly, dont ask me why oil being thicker than what is called for would have a problem with the tranny shifting differently but its just like when you need an oil change, the RX shifts differently and is not as smooth, at least thats how mine is so i can never forget when to change the oil because the Lexus will let me know by not operating normally
Old 02-13-16, 04:55 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

I remember the old car guy joke: "Why do the English like warm beer? Because Lucas makes their refrigerators!"

Seriously, though, it shouldn't do any harm (probably wont do any good either).

Old 02-13-16, 05:35 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Personally i think its snake oil in these cars. I'd rather use a good quality oil of proper weight recommended.
Stabilizer may cause build up places where you want the oil to be very fluid like your ocv valves for proper auto adjustment of your cams.

As far as 10w30, it has nothing to do with the shifting in your car. It needs proper Toyota T-IV ATF in the transmission.

You should be really close to your second spark plug change. It is completely worth it to get your valve cover seals and spark plug seals replaced at the same time.
Old 02-14-16, 06:14 AM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

It says deep clean but i thought that if it just cleaned my injectors that it would help alot, i watched a video of the piston heads with carbon then the same stuff i have was used and it didn't do much for cleaning compared to what I've seen Seafoam do. Can anyone suggest what to use to clean injectors if this dont work? As for the 10w30, it does cause mine to shift abnormally, i've tried it twice and both times the shifting from when oil needed changed to new 10w30, it shifts the same so the only way i've found to get it to shift right is by using 5w30 as recommended. Maybe it's just my car thats picky with the viscosity of oil. What spark plugs do yall use? I know i accidentally bought the Iridium plugs which Chiltons manual says NOT TO USE IRIDIUM plugs lol so i had to go buy a diff kind. Have yall found a good brand/type to use in the 3.0's?
Old 02-14-16, 06:17 AM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

I also had previously bought a valve cover gasket kit but have yet to install it but it came with the seals for plugs, haven't opened box so i dont know if it came with anything else because i went by the picture from where i ordered it lol
Old 02-14-16, 07:24 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

oil in your motor has nothing to do with your shifting it only lubricates your internal engine parts.. Anything to do with shifting has to do with your transmission. It has to be a coincidence.
10w30 is even recommended in your owners manual for temps above 0*c.

The factory uses Denso SK20R11 Iridium plugs. Chilton is copying their lawnmower manuals again.
Old 02-14-16, 08:16 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
oil in your motor has nothing to do with your shifting it only lubricates your internal engine parts.. Anything to do with shifting has to do with your transmission. It has to be a coincidence.
10w30 is even recommended in your owners manual for temps above 0*c.

The factory uses Denso SK20R11 Iridium plugs. Chilton is copying their lawnmower manuals again.
+1, engine oil has nothing to do with your transmission shifting. Completely a placebo effect.
Old 02-14-16, 03:57 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

I know oil dont have ANY thing to do with shifting because thats all in the tranny but in this case, in my RX, it affects it differently, dont ask me how but it does thats why i mentioned that to see if anyone else's does the same thing. I did have to take it to Toyota for them to pinpoint a code for me before i found clublexus and they said i had the wrong type of plugs in, they said i wasn't suppose to have iridium's in, thanks for the info
Old 02-14-16, 04:08 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Found this for future reference because at first i didn't find them with just the SK#. lol. DENSO 3297 **#SK20R11}
Old 02-14-16, 04:12 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Any idea what the Denso 4702 Iridium TT's are and if they would be safe to use in the RX300 without throwing codes or acting up?
Old 02-14-16, 05:42 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Roop10
Any idea what the Denso 4702 Iridium TT's are and if they would be safe to use in the RX300 without throwing codes or acting up?
They will be "safe" but not optimal. They come with the correct heat range but the wrong gap specified..gapping them will put the ground strap at a weird angle. Get the SK20R11 with the 1.1mm gap (0.043")
Old 02-14-16, 06:08 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes, get the correct plug. Iridium plugs should not have their gap adjusted. The iridium electrode is very brittle and may break if it is gapped. All iridium plugs have this warning.
Old 02-14-16, 06:51 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

ok thanks, so i should probably just get them local instead of rockauto just incase the gap is wrong on any of them then i can just take it back versus paying for shipping and waiting a week in a half to get new ones?
Old 02-14-16, 07:01 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

And how much would it matter if there was 1 or 2 that wasn't set at .043 but .044 or 0.42?
Old 02-15-16, 05:49 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

rockauto is just fine for ordering plugs. They often over package so the plugs are not bouncing around and gaps getting smashed. It shouldn't matter much if a plug or 2 is a thousandths off...inspect the gaps to be close to one another.

I hope you were missing a zero when typing 0.42...that is way too big a gap..close to a 1/2 inch! 0.042" is acceptable.

Use a wire style gapper to gap the plugs, if needed, but take caution of hitting the fine electrode. DO NOT use a coin style gapper.

Quick Reply: Lucas Products