RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

oem shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 08:21 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default oem shocks?

before i first got my current 99 rx 300 second hand; the dealer we bought it from told me and my dad the shocks are not oem and that they tend to make some noise going over bumps etc. Apparently the previous owner(s) (dont know how many people owned it before me) one of them put in aftermarket shocks. Is there a way to remedy the noise that it makes when going over bumps etc cause its really starting to get annoying. I know this is crazy and i think so to; but the original selling dealer which is a lexus dealer quoted us like 1100 bucks to go back to oem shocks and we were obviously like heck no!. Is there any way to "adjust" these shocks to eliminate the noise or at least reduce the noise? I believe they are monroe shocks is what my service place told me the brand was. Thanks.
Old 01-01-16, 11:42 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
before i first got my current 99 rx 300 second hand; the dealer we bought it from told me and my dad the shocks are not oem and that they tend to make some noise going over bumps etc. Apparently the previous owner(s) (dont know how many people owned it before me) one of them put in aftermarket shocks. Is there a way to remedy the noise that it makes when going over bumps etc cause its really starting to get annoying. I know this is crazy and i think so to; but the original selling dealer which is a lexus dealer quoted us like 1100 bucks to go back to oem shocks and we were obviously like heck no!. Is there any way to "adjust" these shocks to eliminate the noise or at least reduce the noise? I believe they are monroe shocks is what my service place told me the brand was. Thanks.
Are you sure struts are causing the noise? Could be the mounts or the sway bar end links. End links will rattle and mounts will thump.
Old 01-01-16, 07:06 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Are you sure struts are causing the noise? Could be the mounts or the sway bar end links. End links will rattle and mounts will thump.
That's my current problem. The mounts (if cheap aftermarket were used) could be making the noise like Art said. I had my car in for an oil change and was told that the rear sway bar bushings are worn which is causing my noises

More than likely the noise is what Art said, even though the shocks are Monroe and not really reccomended for the RX, they might just be OK for now.. I'd look at the bushings as the first item to replace. They're cheap and easy to replace on your own. If the mounts are bad, that means removing the strut assy. and replacing the mount, which, at that point seems futile to put the same shock back in the car. Tax season is almost here, so put that return to good use and install new struts/mounts and bushings!
Old 01-02-16, 12:21 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
That's my current problem. The mounts (if cheap aftermarket were used) could be making the noise like Art said. I had my car in for an oil change and was told that the rear sway bar bushings are worn which is causing my noises

More than likely the noise is what Art said, even though the shocks are Monroe and not really reccomended for the RX, they might just be OK for now.. I'd look at the bushings as the first item to replace. They're cheap and easy to replace on your own. If the mounts are bad, that means removing the strut assy. and replacing the mount, which, at that point seems futile to put the same shock back in the car. Tax season is almost here, so put that return to good use and install new struts/mounts and bushings!
I was talking about sway bar end links, not sway bar bushings. End links fail much more often than bushings although bushings could be bad as you suggest.
Old 01-02-16, 08:23 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by artbuc
Well i was told its most likely the shocks themselves(not the struts) because of the fact they are not oem for this vehicle. As for what you mentioned; not totally sure; all I know is whenever Im driving slowly over uneven pavement such as what is currently in our complex; the noise is very noticeable.
Old 01-02-16, 08:28 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier

unfortunately for me; I dont get any refunds usually because i just dont make enough $ to qualify for refund even though im periodically self employed. I wish I could do it on my own in terms of removing the struts and assembly to replace them but i just dont have the time to do it myself and things like this I dont really have a choice but have a shop do because I just dont have the tools etc for it nor do I have much in the way of $ to make a huge investment as i need the $ for other things(u know the essentials like gas, personal items, etc etc) so I may have to resort to the place i go to for oil changes for this if this is in fact what is causing the noise.
Old 01-02-16, 08:31 AM
matts6887
Racer

generally how much is is to replace the bushings and or mounts and how much time is usually involved?
Old 01-02-16, 09:03 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Shop labor generally ranges from 400-500 per strut pair plus parts.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 01-02-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-02-16, 09:44 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well i was told its most likely the shocks themselves(not the struts) because of the fact they are not oem for this vehicle. As for what you mentioned; not totally sure; all I know is whenever Im driving slowly over uneven pavement such as what is currently in our complex; the noise is very noticeable.
This vehicle does not have shocks. Driving slowly over uneven payment sounds like sway bar end links.
Old 01-02-16, 01:18 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Matt:

When funds are low, it is very important to diagnose the problem correctly. Without this you will be spending money on hunches. Although OEM/OES shocks may be desirable, after market can work too. OEM seats/mounts are considered the only right choice.

Have the problem diagnosed and post here, only then members can give you best advice. Else you are getting best guess diagnosis over the net.

Salim
Old 01-03-16, 09:02 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah
Matt:

When funds are low, it is very important to diagnose the problem correctly. Without this you will be spending money on hunches. Although OEM/OES shocks may be desirable, after market can work too. OEM seats/mounts are considered the only right choice.

Have the problem diagnosed and post here, only then members can give you best advice. Else you are getting best guess diagnosis over the net.

Salim
Well yes i know. I will try and find out tomorrow when I get my transfer case fluid changed out. i will have them look at them and find out what the deal is from there.