Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

KYB GR2 or Lexus OEM shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 02:41 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default KYB GR2 or Lexus OEM shocks

Hi All,

My GS300 is hitting 89k miles and I notice that its shocks are not smooth as before. I can feel every bump or bounce on the road especially at bad roads. Are my shocks blown or worn out? I've been trying to test the shocks by pushing four corners but the car didn't bounce back much.

I'm thinking about replace four shocks at once and I'm looking at KYB GR2 for $450 or Lexus OEM for $800. What do you recommend? Will the KYB have the same comfort as Lexus? Do I need to replace the springs also?

Thanks,
Old 07-14-11, 03:06 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oem shocks are kyb
Old 07-15-11, 10:51 AM
techtalk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300ken
Hi All,

I'm thinking about replace four shocks at once and I'm looking at KYB GR2 for $450 or Lexus OEM for $800. What do you recommend? Will the KYB have the same comfort as Lexus? Do I need to replace the springs also?

Thanks,
GS300ken,

The Lexus OEM shocks are indeed KYBs. I don't know if they are KYB GR2s but they are most definitely manufactured by KYB. I would stick with OEM shocks on your GS because they provide the most ideal balance between comfort and performance. I don't know where you got your price quote from but you can purchase the OEM shocks for much cheaper than $800. I know that some sites sell them for as low as $680 out the door. You just have to conduct an extensive google search for cheap OEM shocks and you're bound to find a bargain somewhere.

As far as replacing the springs is concerned, you do not have to replace them when you replace your shocks, unless you want to lower your car or increase its handling capabilities
Old 07-15-11, 08:21 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Techtalk,

I've been looking on many lexus oem sites including Sewell and they are around $800 after shipping while I can get a set of KYB GR-2 from KYB Outlet for $350 shipped. That's a big difference in saving if KYB made OEM shocks for my GS.

Another question: Is it easy to tackle shocks replacement? I called most shops around my area and they want $100 per shock installed plus alignment.
Old 07-15-11, 08:34 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

I suggest just go and buy the kyb, around my way its $50 a corner plus aligment. Its a job that requires a car lift and a spring compressor. When replacin shock you also want to replace bump stops and boots.
Old 07-15-11, 10:59 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Hi guys,

I have decided to go with Lexus OEM shocks since I want to keep my car for another 5 years. I'm checking the diagram and I'm not sure what parts should I purchase with the shocks. I don't want to buy extra parts if I can reuse the one from my old shocks. Please give me advice so I can place an order.

Front: 48510(Right shock) 48520(Left shock)
Rear: 48530 (Right shock) 48540(Left shock)

Thanks again,

http://www.lexuspartseast.com/diagra...er-482032d.png

http://www.lexuspartseast.com/diagra...er-482030d.png
Old 07-16-11, 12:07 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Hey, by the diagram the boots are,48157b and 48157c. The bump stops are on the bottom of the 2 codes listed which comes out to be 48680 but it also looks like it can't be bought seperatly without the top piece. In that case i suggest just getting the dust boots, they are designed to keep dirt and dust out of the shock area. Usually they are rubber, and we all know within time rubber hardens and rips. That is the reason i suggested changing them because if they rip after the installation you are going to pay same labor as replacing a shock. Just trying to save you a few bucks. Also ken go to sewellparts.com and makeman account with them you will get clublexus discount. They are forum vendors and they customer service is top notch. Also looking at the rear diagram the boots are 48750h n 48760b and the bump stops can be purchased seperatly the number for them via diagram are 48341a n 48341b. Any further questions let me know. I might of mispelled few words i am on my iphone.

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 07-16-11 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-16-11, 12:37 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

GS350Lexus,

Thank you very much for your help. I do have an account with Sewell and I will give them a call on Monday to order new shocks.
Old 07-16-11, 04:20 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Actually in you're place, I would of got me http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/2958.html the Blistein shocks, it says the ride becomes more slightly firmer, it is a sport sedan And it looks like its for all 4 corner for $627.20 with clublexus discount.
Old 08-07-11, 08:52 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Hi guys,

I've just tackled the rear shocks today by myself. The installation took around 4 hours since I had to gather tools, took pictures, and run in and out the house due to the heat.

I went with KYB Gas A Just shocks since they are the same as Lexus and they are made in Japan. I ordered my set from KYB Outlet or justsuspension dot com for around $360 shipped and waiting time was 2 weeks. They are very professional even I was worried when I read reviews about them online; however, my experience with them is great.

Now let start the installation process. Push down your new shocks several times to break in, otherwise, your first few miles will be harsh. I rent the spring compressor from Autozone for $55 and they will return my money after I'm done. You need the following tools:

19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm, 10mm deep sockets. Adjustable wrench, breaker bar or big flat screw drivers, jack(very useful tool), allen wrench driver/socket, 1/2" and 3/8" wrench with some extension, WD-40, lubricant, and a lot of elbow grease. I recommend air tools, I have electricity impact wrench and it helped a lot.

1. Remove trunk tray to access rear upper mount. You don't have to remove all mats. Just remove two pieces above the struts. Remove three 14mm bolts that are holding the shocks. Don't worry about the shock falling down since it is held by another two screws below. Loose the main shock bolt a little bit to help with remove the old shock later. Don't ever completely remove this bolt, the spring will expand and you don't want it to happen to you or your Lexus GS.

2. Remove the wheel lug nuts, jack up the car, put on a secure jackstand. Spray WD40 or penetrated fluids. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes for the fluids. Remove the 12mm sway bar bolt then remove two 19mm bolts that hold the shock and the wheel hub. These two 19mm are tough and you definitely need air tools or eletric impact wrench. You also need to have two 19mm sockets because these bolts will spin when you try remove them. After you remove them, the wheel hub will lift up a little.

3. Remove the rearwheel splash, it is held by three 10mm bolts, lift it up and you will see two 12mm bolts that are holding the shock. Remove them using a 1 or 2 inch extension with your wrench. Use a breaker bar to push down the main part that holds the shocks, wheel hub, and sway joint while careful slide the whole shock out. Have a helper will speed up the installation. I did not have anyone so I use my foot to push down and remove the shock. Also remove a plastic cover near the sway bar, it is hold by 10mm.

4. Old shock is out of the car, put on the floor or a vice. I just leave it on the floor. Compress the spring slowly using spring compressors across from each other. People use air tools to compress springs, I just use my 3/8 wrench since I did not want the spring bursted and injured me. After the spring is compressed, mark location of the lower and upper rubber mounts, spring position before remove trying to loosen the upper bolt. Loose the main bolt, washer, rubber mount, bump stop, and lift up the spring. Put the spring in a safe location. I just put it in a box. You see that my old shock is worn and leaked. All old parts are in good conditions. I bought the new bump stops and I've decide to use new ones even my old ones are still good. I sprayed all the rubber parts with silicon fluid to extend their lives and ease the noises.

5. Put the shock back together. I use an allen socket to hold the upper part and 17mm wrench to tight it up. Don't overtighten yet. Make sure all lower and upper mounts dont move and match up with the main mount. Otherwise, you need to start all over again. Release the spring compress slowly to help with the process.Voila, there is your new shock.

6. Slide the whole shock back into the wheel well. Slide the bottom in first then top. Watch out for brake line. Put three 14mm bolts back on the top inside your trunks, don't overtighten them yet since we need room to adjust the shock. Use break bar to push down the main part that hold the shock and wheel hub, slide the shock into its position, put the 19mm bolt back in, tighten it up. Now the fun part, use a jackstand to push up the main part to the wheel hub. Try to wiggle it until it is aligned. I had trouble with my first rear shock. Put another 19mm back in, don't overtighten it. Put 12mm joint sway bar bolt in. This is a piece of cake since everything else is aligned.

7. Put two 12mm bolts that hold the shock back, three 10mm bolts that hold the wheel splash, put one 10mm that holds plastic cover in the bottom near sway bar joint. Put your wheel back and remove the jack stand. Do same thing for another side.

Drive around bumps or bad road for several miles to weight in the new shocks. Go home and tighten all the bolts again with their recommended torque. This is a very important step because you want your new shocks to match with your old suspension. If you tight up everything when the car is on jackstand, it will mess up the alignment. Check again for bolts and make sure you don't forget anything else. Enjoy your new shocks.

Last edited by GS300ken; 08-08-11 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-08-11, 03:10 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Great write up, how does it feel now?
Old 08-08-11, 07:19 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Same ride quality as OEM and no more bouncy on bad roads.
Old 06-28-13, 07:53 PM
awb123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS300ken, thanks so much for the post. Exactly what I was looking for. My right rear shock is leaking, do you recommend replacing all 4 shocks at the same time or just the 2 rear ones? Also did you get the bumper stop from Sewell?

Thanks a bunch.