RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust System Components

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 09:38 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Exhaust System Components

Originally Posted by carguy07
I'll probably just buy the spring bolts from Walker, thanks. That's awesome that it's not leaking. Mine is in pretty bad shape now and getting annoyingly loud. I'll probably do the muffler too. So not a bad job to do in the driveway with no lift and no torch? I'm out of town right now and can't look at mine. Of course, Walker just had a cool rebate that ended.
Not a bad job at all. Especially since even if the bolts break, you're using new nuts anyways. So you don't have to worry about the welded nuts on the stock exhaust.

No need to even jack the car up, I left it on the ground. Plenty of space to do what needs to be done.

Now is a good time to buy the catalytic converter from Pepboys, use coupon code "35FORALL" and it'll be a fantastic deal.
Old 07-26-15, 09:03 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the Pepboys tip! Just ordered the cat using that code. You're right, that is a fantastic deal. Got the resonator coming from Rockauto too. I crawled under it today and was pleasantly surprised to see the original muffler still looking sound. The hanger had ripped the pipe by the cat more times than I can remember and the pipe was separated at the resonator (but the body still looked great). I think I'm at about $280 our the door for everything (I got all the gaskets and bolts too) Thanks!
Old 07-27-15, 04:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the Pepboys tip! Just ordered the cat using that code. You're right, that is a fantastic deal. Got the resonator coming from Rockauto too. I crawled under it today and was pleasantly surprised to see the original muffler still looking sound. The hanger had ripped the pipe by the cat more times than I can remember and the pipe was separated at the resonator (but the body still looked great). I think I'm at about $280 our the door for everything (I got all the gaskets and bolts too) Thanks!
Awesome, beats paying a shop hundreds of dollars for the same thing!
Old 07-29-15, 03:44 AM
hayafalcon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$6200 for an exhaust sytem. What's it made of? Gold.
Sheese.
Anybody pays that much for exhaust work......I won't go there. Not just now.

First inspect for yourself what needs to be replaced. Then replace just those components. Amazon.com has all the Walker stuff you will need and it is as good or BETTER than OEM. I speak from experience. My Highlander has about 40% Walker parts. I just install only what is needed.

$6200 for an exhaust system. Does that include a new engine? YIKES!

Hehe. Haya..........
Old 07-31-15, 07:18 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 220 Posts

You have got to post the breakdown of that estimate in terms of parts and labor. It's insane.
Old 08-09-15, 07:31 PM
mroxas
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
No, I didn't replace the muffler as it isn't making too much noise. I may replace it next year, but I'm hoping it'll last another 3 years which is when I'll start looking into another RX.

Yes, all of the connections are spring and bolt/nut. I just bought some bolts and nuts at home depot beforehand. I can post up the part numbers once I get home, if you're interested.

Yep, used a 2&1/4 inch clamp between the catalytic converter and resonator. It worked great, and is not leaking. This was my number one concern, and it seems to have worked out.
I have bought Walker Catalytic converter and Resonator...
Where did you buy the clamp ? So with clamp you don't need to weld ? Can you please post photo of the clamp (want to see how it holds the Cat Converter & Resonator.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-09-15, 09:24 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

hyper will surely answer your question ..

In the mean time there are 2 different fastening items, flange & clamp.

Flange gives you a but connection and you need a gasket inbetween for exhausts, typically you need two nuts and two bolts.

Clamps for exhaust are fairly common things and they go over two pipes of slightly different diameters. The pipe ends slide on to each other and the clamp squeezes the outer pipe to form a seal. Typically a U bolts with nuts is used as a clamping device. No welding is required. If you install the clamps, position the U bolt in way that it does not snag things on the road.

Salim
Old 08-09-15, 10:36 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

It's just the oldschool ubolt kind. Assuming you have the other gaskets? You definitely will need them.
Old 08-10-15, 05:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mroxas
I have bought Walker Catalytic converter and Resonator...
Where did you buy the clamp ? So with clamp you don't need to weld ? Can you please post photo of the clamp (want to see how it holds the Cat Converter & Resonator.

Thanks,
Mike
I used the "Walker 35336 2 1/4 Inch Heavy Duty Clamp" which i purchased from Amazon. But, really you can use any 2 & 1/4 inch clamp made for exhaust which you find at any auto parts store, doesn't have to be from Walker.

And, correct with the clamp you do not need to weld.

I will post some pictures tonight, or at the latest tomorrow.
Old 08-11-15, 10:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the picture as promised. As can be seen the catalytic converter slides into the resonator, and then the clamp holds them together and provides a leak-free seal.

Old 08-11-15, 06:26 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the pics. I have my parts now, just need to put it together. Any tricks to getting the length right when you slip them together?
Old 08-11-15, 07:38 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the pics. I have my parts now, just need to put it together. Any tricks to getting the length right when you slip them together?
You're welcome.

I slipped the converter and resonator together and then tightened the connection at the muffler first. After which I tightened the connection to the "Y" pipe. Once those two connections were tight and spring collapsed, I then installed the clamp where the two slipped together and tightened it down.

Is that the right way to do it...I don't know...but it seems to have worked well.
Old 08-11-15, 08:09 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Makes sense to me, thanks!
Old 08-12-15, 03:38 PM
rickl289
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the pics Hypervish! I just noticed an exhaust leak by the hanger between the cat and muffler and the pics really help.

rick
Old 08-13-15, 08:57 PM
rickl289
Driver School Candidate

I got the exhaust fixed. New cone style gaskets and rewelded the exhaust hanger.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Components