RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Steering angle, anyone tried spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 08:13 AM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering angle, anyone tried spacers

My dads is tired of the crappy steering angle Lexus decided to give this SUV.

Anyone as tried putting spacers on the steering rack between the inner tie rod and the rack. How much more angle did you got from this mod?

Regards
Old 03-09-14, 12:20 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Are you talking about the steering tilt?

Salim
Old 03-09-14, 05:31 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

No i'm talking about this mod:

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/tech...k-spacers.html

I don't know how thick and how much thread left will be safe.
Old 03-09-14, 06:10 PM
salimshah

It seems you want to reduce the turning radius by increasing the angle of the front wheel from one lock to the other lock position.

The steering link in RX is behind the spindle so by increasing the length of the rods, you will increase the toe-in and when you bring in the toe to spec, you will have to take out the extra length you added.

Lets for discussion we assume that the wheels are capable of turning more (there are no physical limitations, stops or wheel rubbing the insides. Then the only way to increase the angular travel, you have to change the length (shorter or longer) of the steering knuckle arm that receives the tie rod.

Salim
Old 03-10-14, 05:44 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

First I'm a mechanical engineer and did fair bit of work on cars. I understand how suspension and geometry change. It also took me time to understand this.

From what I can understand the rack is simply longer and the inner tie rod act as a stop. The washer permit extra travel. It also shortens the links. If it works on Supra's it should work on the RX.

And also I guess if I do it I'll be the first to do this on an RX.
Old 03-10-14, 09:00 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by rwdfreak
First I'm a mechanical engineer and did fair bit of work on cars. I understand how suspension and geometry change. It also took me time to understand this.

From what I can understand the rack is simply longer and the inner tie rod act as a stop. The washer permit extra travel. It also shortens the links. If it works on Supra's it should work on the RX.

With your background in ME, you should be able to crawl under and visualize.

Salim
Old 03-11-14, 05:09 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ahead, try it. And keeps posted.......If solved properly and safely, you could be the next Bill Gates...
Old 03-11-14, 11:07 AM
boxbrownie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or be the supplier of new CV joints as they may well get trashed by more lock......OK for cars with RWD but AWD or FWD could be a problem.
Old 03-11-14, 11:36 AM
salimshah

Some thing was done in later models. 2001? where the turning radius got tighter.

Salim
Old 03-11-14, 06:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Some thing was done in later models. 2001? where the turning radius got tighter.

Salim
All first generation RX's had the same turning radius.
Old 03-11-14, 07:30 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by hypervish
All first generation RX's had the same turning radius.
Thank you for correction. You are definitely an excellent source of information.

Salim
Old 03-11-14, 07:48 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Thank you for correction. You are definitely an excellent source of information.

Salim
You're welcome! I learn from the best!
Old 03-12-14, 08:17 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by boxbrownie
Or be the supplier of new CV joints as they may well get trashed by more lock......OK for cars with RWD but AWD or FWD could be a problem.
Full lock only happens at realy slow speed (ie parking lot maneuvre) but you are right I forgot this SUV was an AWD and now I'm wondering how much it can see without causing an issue (I guess I have to take one of and see what is the maximum angle it is designed for. The turning radius is just soooo awefull I whish there was something we could do.

I was hoping someone already had done the work and not have to be the gunea pig again like I always end up being.

This is my dads daily driver, I know barely anything about it. I strongly doubt he'll be willing to make some R&D on this vehicule as no one else has history on this particular mod. I'll tell him he as to endure.

You guys don't have to be dicks. I have to agree I didn't do my homework and did not research the topic properly. I was looking for the easy quick answer. Sometimes it's hard to get knowledgeable peoples on certain forums.

I'll let you guys know if I find the cure for this.
Old 03-12-14, 08:58 PM
salimshah

Full lock only happens at realy slow speed (ie parking lot maneuvre) but you are right I forgot this SUV was an AWD and now I'm wondering how much it can see without causing an issue (I guess I have to take one of and see what is the maximum angle it is designed for. The turning radius is just soooo awefull I whish there was something we could do.

I was hoping someone already had done the work and not have to be the gunea pig again like I always end up being.

This is my dads daily driver, I know barely anything about it. I strongly doubt he'll be willing to make some R&D on this vehicule as no one else has history on this particular mod. I'll tell him he as to endure.

You guys don't have to be dicks. I have to agree I didn't do my homework and did not research the topic properly. I was looking for the easy quick answer. Sometimes it's hard to get knowledgeable peoples on certain forums.

I'll let you guys know if I find the cure for this.
Please dont come down hard on yourself and others (including me ). It is hard to make a u turn on a 4 narrow lane road. In narrow parking I can squeeze into spots and that would require climbing out of the rear hatch, but it would require backing up at least once. I have stayed with the RX300 forum from inception and turning radius has been an issue from the beginning. Then there was wind noise due to spoiler and helicopter noise when you roll down the rear window. Believe me those were the ONLY problems with RX.

Without getting into serious redesign of components, you can get slightly less turning radius by actually adding spacers to the wheels (stick them out a wee bit) and the other... give up on toe-in.

On the good side, you get less angular change in direction for certain movement of the steering wheel (less chance of flip over).

Dont let any post discourage you. If you find a solution many would jump on it, including me.

Salim
Old 03-15-14, 06:58 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

The lack of available wheel cut bugs my wife to no end.

My old '89 Mercedes W126, which was a beast of a car, had a tighter turning circle...though Mercedes was known for this.

By limitations in front end space, all FWD/AWD vehicles are limited much more than are RWD only vehicles.

This said, the '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L I have is just fine, though, it's built as a full-time 4WD, and off-road, wheel cut is crucial.

While really annoying, fairly regularly, my wife's RX has had only on failure, ever, since 2002.

The bulb in the CHMSL burned out.

Wait, no, it's had two! The "D" bulb burned out a few years back in the instrument cluster, but it's redundant, anyway.