RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Battery keeps draining after sitting for two days.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 07:16 AM
angkorthom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery keeps draining after sitting for two days.

I have an issue with my 2001 RX 300. I recently followed the DIY door lock actuator guide i found here and hooked up my driver side, passenger side and passenger rear with after market door lock actuators. When performing the this i might have shorted something in the passenger side door and now all 3 windows will not work from its own control box. However i can control all windows from the master control switch and it will work. I'm trying to figure out what i did wrong and fix the issue with the battery draw. So i took out all the aftermarket actuators off and i bought used actuators on ebay to replace the ones that were not working and now all the door locks are working normally but the windows and the battery draw is still the issue. i took it to an electrical guy and he said he cannot find the source of the draw but he knows that there is a 180miliamp draw on the battery. I've read a lot of threads regarding parasitic draws and how to troubleshoot them but i'm not sure where to begin. Could i have shorted out the window switch and that caused the other two to not work and could that be the draw? There is also a little black box in the door panel i wonder if that is some sort of control box? I took it to the dealer once that they performed some test and said it was the door lock actuator but now i have replaced it and its still causing my battery to die after two days. I'm just lost can confused, i should have never tried saving money because this might cause me more money in the long run. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know how i can try to fix this issue.

Thanks
Old 04-10-13, 08:18 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Although the common link is the battery, but you must take steps to isolate the problem.

I responded to the parasitic draw (in the other thread). That seems ok.

I would start with the battery.

How old is it?

What was the warranty 36months 48months etc?

Which climate zone are you in [city/state]. Batteries do not last long in extremes or large swings in temperature.

Did you get the battery tested under load?

Did you get the charging system tested?

Have you seen your clock reset for weeks before?

Salim
Old 04-10-13, 08:49 AM
angkorthom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll replace the battery i just had it replaced not to long ago. Maybe a year or so, but i took it back because of the drain and then they said it was bad so they gave me a new one and now its doing similar things i should take it back as well. i'm in Long Beach, California. Do you have happen to know if i was to do a draw test with out hooking up the electronics in that door would it still draw? I'm just suggesting things because i'm running out of options. The wire i tapped into was blue and yellow and there was two wires colored similarly but it was the wrong one. This could be anything and its probably not worth the fix but i really like this car because its been running like a champ.