RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine Sludge Problem on 2003s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02, 04:50 PM
qdawgz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Sudge Problem on 2003s?

Has this problem gone away on newer RX300 models. They are making such good deals on 2003 RX300s I am thinking about buying one, but am concerned about the sludge problem. What is the news on this for newer RX300s.

BTW, will synthetic oil help and does anyone have advice about using it.

Thanks, in advance.

had to change "RS300 to RX300", i just HAD to!

Last edited by LexRX; 12-18-02 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-18-02, 12:44 AM
unrealii
Driver

Yeah, anyone have info on this? I'd like to know as well.
Old 12-18-02, 12:54 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

I really wouldn't worry about it.
You buy a Lexus for reliability, and you get it.
And if something does ever break, you get it fixed right, you'll be treated right, and you'll get a loaner car. My dealer drops the loaner car off at my house and picks up my car.
Also, the RX has an extended engine warranty for 8 years/unlimited miles.
Old 12-18-02, 03:36 AM
unrealii
Driver

Thanks for the reply. I had found this link posted by Daddy-O https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=61512
I went to lexus's website and they dont show the 2003 rx's as ahving an 8 year warranty with unlimited miles. Am I missing something?
Old 12-18-02, 11:18 AM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

IMHO, if you service your RX/ES regularly, you wouldn't have to worry about the sludge issue..
Ed
Old 12-18-02, 12:06 PM
Handogen
Driver

Originally posted by unrealii
Thanks for the reply. I had found this link posted by Daddy-O https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=61512
I went to lexus's website and they dont show the 2003 rx's as ahving an 8 year warranty with unlimited miles. Am I missing something?

The 8 year warranty is specific to the Engine. Lexus/Toyota extended this potion of the regular warranty to smooth over customers who were having problems with sludge, as well as customers who were concerned. This warranty does not apply to the entire vehicle.
Old 12-18-02, 03:47 PM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

the same motor in you 2003 RX is in your 96 camery and avalon, nothing has changed, mine gelled up and i got a new motor (in my RX) in general you are safe if you change the oil every 3000 miles, but i did and it still got me, i am not knocking LEXUS at all i think i just had bad luck, and they took care of me VERY WELL while it was being fixed, you should be safe though if you do your maintance
Old 12-18-02, 04:37 PM
qdawgz
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately after reading as much as i could find about this problem I have contacted the dealer and canceled my order. While Toyota may warrant the engine, I am not too happy with buying a car where the engine will fail unless the oil is changed every 5000 miles.

In the long term this can also hurt resale as people will be reluctant to buy used RX300s.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-18-02, 07:38 PM
dchesanek
Rookie

Default gdawgz-engine failure

"I am not too happy with buying a car where the engine will fail unless the oil is changed every 5000 miles. "

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that statement goes beyond opinion and is ridiculous. The statement indicates EVERY engine will fail unless the oil is changed every 5000 miles. I would love to see the statistical data on engine failures but I am certain its not 100%.

Last edited by dchesanek; 12-18-02 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-19-02, 02:12 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

I gotta wonder. Do these people actually think they're passing up an RX to get something more reliable? Who are they kidding?
Ever since Lexus came out in 1990, it has been #1 in reliability, for 12 years straight, every single year.
Old 12-19-02, 02:23 AM
unrealii
Driver

It's qdawg's decision, but the whole issue has blown up in toyota's face, so they can't hide it now, they have take care of you. Maybe back when they were trying to cover it up I wouldn't have conisdered an rx, but now I think the rx is reliable enough to suggest to my parents to replace my mom's car.
Old 12-19-02, 11:55 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default MB Sludge problem

BTW MB also upped its warranty for some of its engines (dont remember off hand which year models) to 10years because some of the dealers used non-synthetic oil for the comuter indicated oil changes (about 10k miles between oil changes) and that led to sludge on some engines. Oh well...
Old 12-19-02, 11:32 PM
dickpribyl
Driver School Candidate

I had put a deposit down on a '99 with 47k mileage and after reading about the sludge issue I cancelled the check, and purchased a new 2003. I couldn't be happier. I maintain all our family cars on Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic oil and will do likewise with this one. After reading this forum I ordered some of the Japanese oil filters.

The V-6s that experience the problems have been around since about 1994 (?), and to date Toyota has received claims on about 1%.

As this forum notes, this engine has the oil filter in a pain in the *** location. This may be a contributing factor, with some oil change places not bothering to change the filter. I believe the sludge problem is tied to high engine temperatures. #1 Synthetic oils can hold up better to the higher temps, #2 I believe the synthetics have a stronger detergent package.

All in all, after thinking about it, I reached the conclusion that the so called sludge problem would NOT be a reason to keep me from buying this car because I tend to be such a fanatical about il changes.
Old 01-11-03, 01:22 PM
Scott S.
Driver School Candidate

Default Mercedes

You can't get away from the fact the engineers screwed up with the 10K plus
oil cahnge intervals. I just bought a ML430 Mercedes and got a real education
in the 4 days I've had it on engine sludge.
I came here to learn more on Lexus and
can not believe you folks are in the same
fricking boat.
Why did the powers at these automotive
powerhouses allow the consumer to be the test vehicle?
The decision to "GO" to 10K to 13K
oil changes will cost Mercedes an
estimated 150 million dollars and will
probably cost Toyota a helluva lot of
money too.
I can't believe it. I just can't.
I bought a 50 thousand SUV and the
oil filter is full of sludge............
I can live and learn, but I need a little
help from these so called engineers
for some advice.
Old 01-11-03, 03:10 PM
ederny
Pole Position

I would be curious to know how you were alerted to the filter being full of sludge! Was there engine damage? Did you open up the filter to look at the filter element? I assume this is the ML you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Engine Sludge Problem on 2003s?