RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is there an emergency fuel shutoff switch on RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 08:15 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Is there an emergency fuel shutoff switch on RX300?

Hi RX- First Generation Forum,

I've just adopted a 2000 RX300, so this is my first post in clublexus. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this community!

Question: Is there an emergency fuel shutoff switch on RX300? Typically on other vehicles, this is a motion sensor mounted in the trunk, with a reset switch on it.

I ask because it wouldn't be the first time I've heard about unnecessary tow jobs to a garage just because the "boss" bumped into a parking bumper a little too hard in the grocery store parking lot.

I appreciate your reply(s).

Regards,
Brcobrem

P.S. First project: I'm doing the antenna mast replacement this week. Had to "disassemble" the trunk area to get to the antenna motor (ie. mast's nylon rack broke down in the gearbox). There's an excellent how-to on this, but I see from your sticky "DYI" post, that I will be waiting 30 days to post up the link (ie. new member restriction I believe) and a pic or two. Found the mast for ~$20. Will be here in a couple days.
Old 04-14-12, 01:11 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

First a warm welcome.

RX uses electric (12v) pump. My understanding is that the pump becomes active with the key in ignition (even before ON). The line from the tank to the engine can remain in pressure with the key and battery removed.

For electric pumps, I am familiar with the electronic ignition (low voltage) signal used to maintain power, When the spark is not there, then it kills the 12v to the pump. The exception is when you put the key in ignition. The ECU does this for you.

Best way is to disconnect the battery when you want to work on anything even anything mechanical.

For the mast, you dont need to open up the motor. Just the lock nut and mess with radio buttons.

Salim
Old 04-14-12, 11:39 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have worked at Ford dealership and i know they have the "impact" switch for the fuel cut-off in case of an accident. I am not personally aware of any others that use the impact switch. Most that I am aware of use something like Salim mentioned. I know GM used the oil pressure switch (loss of oil pressure after it has been running) to shut the fuel off. I'm sure there are others that use different methods to assure the shut-off of the fuel pump in the case of an accident.
Guys in the shop used to mess with one another by walking by and "bumping" the impact switch in the trunk of sedans when the DL was open. When the Tech went to drive the car out of his stall he coulldn't figure out why it ran in and won't start now.
Old 04-15-12, 03:04 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
I have worked at Ford dealership and i know they have the "impact" switch for the fuel cut-off in case of an accident. I am not personally aware of any others that use the impact switch. Most that I am aware of use something like Salim mentioned. I know GM used the oil pressure switch (loss of oil pressure after it has been running) to shut the fuel off. I'm sure there are others that use different methods to assure the shut-off of the fuel pump in the case of an accident.
Guys in the shop used to mess with one another by walking by and "bumping" the impact switch in the trunk of sedans when the DL was open. When the Tech went to drive the car out of his stall he coulldn't figure out why it ran in and won't start now.
Your a sick man Roger!
Old 04-15-12, 06:14 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
That's pretty hilarious. I'll have to try that sometime!
Old 04-15-12, 06:23 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Hello salimshah, code58 and artbuc !

Yes, I've owned three Fords and that's one way that I'm aware of the fuel cut-off switch.

So it's good to know that the RX300 handles this differently.

I appreciate your shared experiences :-)

Regards,
Brcobrem

P.S. One of my favorite garage pranks is when someone has the top end off an engine (perhaps for an intake manifold job), come along and through an extra piece of 1/4" vacuum hose up in the parts pile. Preferably a piece that is preformed with a bend so it looks like it goes somewhere specific. Stand back and watch the final assembly moments :->
Old 04-15-12, 05:37 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

BMWs have this fuel pump kill switch which cuts power to the fuel pump after an impact - yes, many owners have had unnecessary tows because they didn't know to press the re-set button.
Old 04-15-12, 09:52 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artbuc
Your a sick man Roger!
Where is the LOL when you need it? Why doesn't this forum have one??? No, No, I was an observer of this childish mischief, not a participant (not very often anyway). I learned in a hurry that if the car ran fine when I drove it in and it didn't start immediately, pop the trunk and press the button! Now Brcobrem is the sick man! That's what's RIGHTLY called dirty pool. If a guy is not at his best that day he could waste a bit of time (and a little hair) scratching his head over that one. I have a pretty darn good memory (or maybe DID have ) and would immediately remember that no such part came off when I pulled it apart. I wasn't hardly ever involved in the pranks (to busy working) but If I told you some of the things guys thought up it would make your hair stand on end.
Old 04-16-12, 06:56 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Hi code58,

I realize we're getting way off-topic here. That said, you don't have to let the prank play out for more than a couple minutes to get the full effect. No harm done imho and everyone gets a little levity injected into in the work day. Sorry if you were offended by it.

Regards,
Brcobrem
Old 04-16-12, 11:02 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

No,No, I wasn't offended by it at all. I didn't think you'd take that statement seriously. It was meant in "levity". I seriously was rarely ever involved in the pranks, but I love to laugh and did enjoy some of the ones the more "prank prone" thought up.
P.S. I didn't take Art seriously either!
Old 04-17-12, 12:59 PM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

On I see, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part too.

I didn't intend to make a ruckus on my first post to the forum.

Regards . . .
Old 04-17-12, 03:07 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK Brembo, I'm the official Club Lexus ruckus inspector and I've been sent over here to handle this outbreak of ruckus. I'm going to let you off with a flesh wound this time since you're new but watch it, some of these guys are old and easily confused!