RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How much should struts/shocks cost me around?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 06:03 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should struts/shocks cost me around?

Since I'm about to get my tax returns back in a few weeks, I'll have some extra money to spend towards my car.

The AWD 1999 RX300 is at @ 177k.

Everytime I go over a bump, the car makes an annoying rattling noise in the front two wheels. Also, the car doesn't feel steady either. I can just move myself back and fourth in the drivers seat and the car will shake. Almost as if you're having sex in the car, lol.

But anyways, I would assume it's because of the struts/shocks, right? How often are they supposed to be changed anyways? I don't think my rear is giving any problems, but should I replace that while I'm replacing the front ones?

Regardless, how much should the parts cost me around (estimate)? I know what my labor will be at the local mechanic shop. I believe it'd be cheaper if I buy the parts myself.
Old 01-11-12, 06:09 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The noise from the front, like has been discussed before is likely from the strut mounts. There isn't a specified time period in which struts should be changed because it really depends on the road conditions the car has been driven on. But, at almost 180,000 miles, it is probably ready for a new pair of struts.

Here's the price's I came up with, when I was researching how much parts cost. These prices are without labor, they include the price of the struts all around and new strut mounts all around.

AutoZone: $685.92
RockAuto:
Mix-Match: $559
All Monroe: $502
All KYB: $606
Ebay:
APX- $341
KYB- $593
Old 01-11-12, 06:20 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
The noise from the front, like has been discussed before is likely from the strut mounts. There isn't a specified time period in which struts should be changed because it really depends on the road conditions the car has been driven on. But, at almost 180,000 miles, it is probably ready for a new pair of struts.

Here's the price's I came up with, when I was researching how much parts cost. These prices are without labor, they include the price of the struts all around and new strut mounts all around.

AutoZone: $685.92
RockAuto:
Mix-Match: $559
All Monroe: $502
All KYB: $606
Ebay:
APX- $341
KYB- $593
Is there any specific signs of knowing if a strut is bad or not? Thanks for the prices, pretty reasonable.
Old 01-11-12, 06:20 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

This sounds oddly familiar. Mine makes the same sounds....
I wish you were in Florida, I could get you a discounted price on them from where I work...

But I have looked into it and labor, at a shop I use, is about $375-$400 at $50 an hour because I send them so much business. But I may be a little high. I can't remember exactly what she quoted me. And that it with bringing my own parts.

On your most recent post:
You can usually tell if the car is sagging more than usual in the back during take off, bouncing more over bumps, etc. But again, at that mileage, you are probably due for new ones all around.

Last edited by 99rx; 01-11-12 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Just saw most recent post
Old 01-11-12, 06:23 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Originally Posted by 99rx
I wish you were in Florida, I could get you a discounted price on them from where I work...

But I have looked into it and labor, at a shop I use, is about $375-$400 at $50 an hour because I send them so much business. But I may be a little high. I can't remember exactly what she quoted me. And that it with bringing my own parts.

You can usually tell if the car is sagging more than usual in the back during take off, bouncing more over bumps, etc. But again, at that mileage, you are probably due for new ones all around.
Aw, I live up in Virginia.

What was your problem? Just the mounts? My labor will be between $40-50, I know that for a fact.
Old 01-11-12, 06:31 PM
99rx
Instructor

My problem is still all the mounts squeak like crazy, more predominant when cold out. I have yet to have it fixed because once I drive a little bit I get used to it and it doesn't bother me. That or I just have to radio up to loud to hear it.... haha. But eventually, maybe when I get some extra scholarship money I will go ahead and have them fixed, but I want to do everything. i.e. struts, and mounts.
Old 01-11-12, 06:36 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

My problem is still all the mounts squeak like crazy, more predominant when cold out. I have yet to have it fixed because once I drive a little bit I get used to it and it doesn't bother me. That or I just have to radio up to loud to hear it.... haha. But eventually, maybe when I get some extra scholarship money I will go ahead and have them fixed, but I want to do everything. i.e. struts, and mounts.
Haha, you and me are alike. (off topic: checked out your car via your sig, we have the same tires too, lol).

You're right about the cold weather, it's way more louder. Doesn't bother me either when I have my music jammed, but it's quite embarrassing when I was giving a girl a ride home, hehe.

What contributes to the car being not steady? I was moving myself left to right in the drivers seat, and the car was noticeably shaking.
Old 01-11-12, 06:40 PM
99rx
Instructor

That is the pictures with the 99-00 headlights... I need to take new pictures next time I detail it...And I love those tires. They are great. I have had good luck with them, quiet and all.
And my girlfriend has mentioned something about the noise as well... Seeing that she likes to drive the car better than her Accord. This doesn't make me happy as it leaves me with the Accord. But I just tell her be quiet as I turn the music louder.

As for the car not being steady, god I'm starting to think you are me living in another state, because I was too at a light and started shaking the car back and forth as people looked at me like WTF is he doing... But that is from the struts not being as strong as they used to be. Which also, in my opinion, indicates the need for new ones.
Old 01-11-12, 06:55 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

That is the pictures with the 99-00 headlights... I need to take new pictures next time I detail it...And I love those tires. They are great. I have had good luck with them, quiet and all.
And my girlfriend has mentioned something about the noise as well... Seeing that she likes to drive the car better than her Accord. This doesn't make me happy as it leaves me with the Accord. But I just tell her be quiet as I turn the music louder.

As for the car not being steady, god I'm starting to think you are me living in another state, because I was too at a light and started shaking the car back and forth as people looked at me like WTF is he doing... But that is from the struts not being as strong as they used to be. Which also, in my opinion, indicates the need for new ones.
Haha, whats also scary is that you and me have the roof racks removed as well.

Great tires, no doubt. Got them off a promo at Merchants, buy 2, get 2 free.

But alright, all makes sense now! I guess I'll do some shopping online and see whats best. Planning to use this car for another 3-4 years for college so I need to get the best out of it! Really happy with it so far.

I want some damn snow though! This winter is being weird. I want to test out how the RX handles in the snow :P
Old 01-11-12, 06:57 PM
99rx
Instructor

WOW again we are in the same boat... I plan on keeping it through college as well and possibly look into buying a family members 07 RX350. She should be done with it by then.
Good luck and keep me updated in your search. I am curious to see what you end up putting on it.
Old 01-11-12, 07:01 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

WOW again we are in the same boat... I plan on keeping it through college as well and possibly look into buying a family members 07 RX350. She should be done with it by then.
Good luck and keep me updated in your search. I am curious to see what you end up putting on it.
Sounds good bro, thanks for the info. Hope you're a local in this forum and not go MIA! :P

In all honesty, I didn't really like this car when my dad bought me it because I kept saying to myself that it's a mommys car. But once I drove it, I regret everything I said! A thing my dad told me is - "the reason I bought you this car is because so your next future car will be a luxury brand (lexus, infiniti, acura, etc) and that he wants me to drive SUV's. I'm glad he said that because I'm spoiled now. I can't drive low cars anymore.

I'll def. keep y'all up to date.
Old 01-11-12, 07:18 PM
99rx
Instructor

I'm on here everyday, multiple times a day. Any problems feel free to post it. One of us on here will get to it for ya.
Old 05-29-13, 06:38 PM
Idreamido
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I have 2005 ES330 with 55k miles and is making this rattling sound...not sure if its struts/mounts or both.

I am in Miami...can you suggest some place reasonable where i can get it diagnosed and fixed?

TIA
- Ash

Old 06-02-13, 04:54 PM
yakev724
Driver School Candidate

I spent about $450 shipped for new Sensen struts, strut mounts, sway bushings, and endlinks from RockAuto.

Took about 15 hrs total to disassemble, rebuild struts, and reassemble. LexMex has a good strut guide.

Pretty sure I was on original struts til 200k, and needless to say it made a huge difference.
Old 07-12-13, 01:33 PM
Schly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yakev724
I spent about $450 shipped for new Sensen struts, strut mounts, sway bushings, and endlinks from RockAuto.

Took about 15 hrs total to disassemble, rebuild struts, and reassemble. LexMex has a good strut guide.

Pretty sure I was on original struts til 200k, and needless to say it made a huge difference.
Do you have a link to LexMex's strut guide? Thank you!

EDIT: This looks like it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...yb-gr-2-a.html

Last edited by Schly; 07-12-13 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: How much should struts/shocks cost me around?