RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 radio swap pic

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-02, 09:30 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Daddy-O
My dice were dynoed and shown to add .033 RWHP to my RX.

This is of particular interest due to the fact that my RX is FWD.

Not knocking on the dice, I think it's cool that you have them. Same with the blue tree; if you like having it that's fine. I rarely look at something like that and think why I don't like it.

The shiny chrome ball added gobs of torque all across the power band, but alas, it's not on right now. I let my brother borrow my pin that holds the tounge...I use the term borrow loosely. It's about time I put that thing back on.

Last edited by LexRX; 10-03-02 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-03-02, 02:29 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Wassup Disko...

Sorry but i too kinda dislike where the new head unit was placed...

I was also CONSIDERING to get an aftermarket HeadUnit, (a alpine... forgot the model number but was silver and black) so i wouln't have to bother with hi-low converters. But then again every buddy i ask told me NOT to get one because we have a LEXUS and it already looks BEAUTIFUL stock...

If I was gonna do it no matter... then the best thing would be to try to make it match well... I had silversport so i had alluminum brushing so that deck in silver and black would have matched up pretty good...

So i ended up not getting a deck and will be using hi-low convertors isntead... Not sure where you can have the deck put, but i guess thats one of the only spots that work...

BTW, i dunno if everyone guys were bashing or not, but aint it good to recieve feedback... both good and bad??? See that helps you decided if what you did was worth keeping or not... just like my consideration of a deck... all my buds told me not to... so i listened and realize myself i shoudln't either...

But ya... if you wanna do it, and don't give a .... go for it!!!
Old 10-03-02, 06:36 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

AMEN....

Hey, are you guys making fun of my blue trees? Since I bought my first car I've been putting blue trees in'em.... I like the "New Car" scent and plus it adds to the interior aerodynamics, I see you guys aren't up on that yet....
Old 10-05-02, 05:22 PM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

hi everyone, sorry i have been away i had to run from the hurricane, there was a post from a guy asking about if i had amps, yes i do 1 for highs and 1 for lows, i wired them to the stock wiring. evarything is right behind the stock radio. if you have any specific questions let me know i will try to help. also about the color of the head unit i chose, i know it doesnt match but i didnt have a choice. that is the only mp3 played clarion has made besids the auto PC (tried it and the mp3 playback is really bad) and the new 625 model that does not have a remote and does not have all the features as the DXZ815MP (the one in the pic). i wanted mp3 for sure and tried sony, aiawa and auto PC, this is the best i found. i was HARD CORE alpine till they went main stream years ago and quality plumited. rememebr the good ole days when you had to go to a ALPINE DEALER and get really awsome stuff. now it seems alpine has just sunk in quality. just my opinion.

Shonuff i had an idea the other day i wanted to pass by you, you think it is doable to mount the headunit (without the face) behind the stock radio and pop out the hole for the CD then mount the face some where else hidden and basically control the unit with the remote? in the dash the other day i noticed the circuit board for the A/C is rather this and it may be possible to mount the new head unit behind it? any thought would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-02, 05:25 PM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

spinteews, i never thought about the silversport. is there any chance you could post a pic you gave me an idea about maybe swapping the center face to match the radio? think it would go? im not sure?
Old 10-05-02, 05:59 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

they sell the aluminum radio trim and door trim on a site i have book marked.........gotta see if i can find it.

as far as the radio behind the ac.............i'm not following you totally. i relocated the factory lcd, radio/ac controls to a custom made center console. you can take the factory radio out and still have the radio face plate /ac controls still work. i will look for a pic i have the face plate without the factory radio installed to it.

i'm curious as to where you will have the slot for the cd pop out/in through...............i gotta an i dea where to mount the faceplate......but how will the faceplate control the radio if it is not connected to it?
Old 10-05-02, 06:15 PM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

Shonuff, you know how on the back of the A/C circuit board there is a slot where a in dash CD player could go. You know the white plastic sheet on the back of the radio, the slot right there. i was thinking of butting up the new radio without the face to that slot so the CD could pass through slot in the factory radio. then wire the faceplate with a ribbon cable to the new radio and move it to another location. if you look at the front of the stock radio, see the slim rectangle that says LEXUS towards the top, thats the slot i am referring to, the back side of that slot. hope that helps a little to get across my idea
Old 10-05-02, 09:50 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

i'm still looking for the pic...........but i took a peep under my console. it looks like there won't be enough room to mount the radio behind there and have the cd come out of the lexus panel space. the buttons for the lcd kind of crowd the space. unless the cd eject part is up very high on your clarion deck it's not gonna work..............and if it is up high it's gonna be an extremely tight fit.

got a pic of the clarion deck without the face plate??