RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What to look for in a used RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 04:21 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions

kutscher:

Would you mind very much giving me, us, the basis for your strong opinions against an AWD minivan as a substitute for an SUV? Not just versus the RX or HL, but basically any mid-range/weight SUV.

I'm asking because in my view the Chrysler AWD T&C fits in this SUV "venue" quite nicely.

In comparison to the RX the T&C's shortcomings are:

1. It's not made by Toyota or Lexus and thus lacks the reliability one might otherwise expect.

2. No HID option, but this is somewhat ameiated by the fact that there are a myriad of aftermarket HID systems one can purchase.

3. No VSC and/or Trac.(Really BAD news IMMHO.)

4. Is the driver seating height lower? Not sure.

5. Tighter turning radius? Again, not sure, but it wouldn't be hard to better the RX or the HL in this category.

6. Ground/object clearance? Don't know.

The RX's shortcomings in comparison to the AWD t&C.

1. Less passenger seating capacity.

2. Lower ease of accessibility to available seating.

3. Poor, virtually useless AWD implementation.

4. Snow chains cannot be used as backup for the useless AWD system without putting the driver's and passenger's lives at high risk.

5. A climate control system design that has a great propensity to be, of itself, the core cause of a suddenly fogged over windshield surface.

6. Extremely hazardous operational design of the RX climate control system with regards to quickly defogging/demisting the windshield.

7. An optional Nav system that literally forces driver distraction even for ancillary control functions.

8. Urinal like/looking gearshift console jutting into driver/passenger 'space", severely restricting free "movement".

RX advantages.

1. Relaibility, except for the acknowledged problem of engine sludging prior to the mid-01 production runs.

2. VSC (I can't in good conscience add Trac to the list because I have never experienced Trac intervening in any manner whatsoever in my RX. I fully expected it would moderately brake a slipping front wheel to force torque to the opposite wheel but that has never happening even with KNOWN incidents.)

3. HID

Is that all?
Old 09-23-02, 05:59 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kutscher,

Again, I look forward to your impressions regarding the RX 300.
Please begin a new thread when you wish to post.

wwest,

Opinions regarding Chrysler products should be posted elsewhere, as this is the Lexus RX 300 Forum. Soliciting opinions about minivans or Chrysler products in this forum is inappropriate.

Here are some suggested sites to discuss Chrysler products:

http://townhall.edmunds.com
Edmunds Town Hall - Check the Chrysler Town and Country forum

http://forums.vmag.com/mvtowncountry1199/
Chrysler Town & Country Minivan Owners Board

Thread closed.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 09-23-02 at 06:00 PM.