RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-02, 06:51 PM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alignment

Hi,
What is z-invert LT FT?

I just had my rx 2002 alignment last week under warranty - 2k miles. The damn car already has problem. They made me waited for 3 1/2 hrs. That is really sucks. I could have paid $55 for someone to do it right, but I prefer to have lexus do it. It is a little better, I hope or it could be just my imagination, but it is still going to the right and the steering wheel has to point to the left for it to go straight. I don't think it is a curvy road. It does the same on a flate road. They indicated on the paper that they did 4-wheel alignment and LT FT Z-Inverted. Do you know of what LT FT Z-Inverted is? Should I take it back for them to re-do it? It is hard for me to trust them if they really did 4-wheel alignment since it is not really corrected the problem. My understanding of z-inverted is rotating tires, but of one the tires I marked is still at the same spot. I heard stories before that sometimes you bring your car in to correct the problem, they make you wait, then said it is fixed; but infact, they make you think it was fixed, but didn't do anything because they never admit there is anything wrong with it. Some of the dump bast*d always say Nothing wrong with it. The car has only 2k miles and I had to bring it back 4 times already for all different problems. Talking about 200k miles, how many times do I have to bring it in. By the time your tires are damage due to alignment, the car is no longer under warranty, it is too late to complain, then they start charge you. This is really making me think, "bringing your car to the dealer is not always a good idea. They could be the problem creator!?!"

Thanks for all of your input.

Last edited by lexian; 08-21-02 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 08:42 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default All Toyota/Lexus products.....

Originally posted by lexian
Hi,
I just had my rx 2002 alignment last week under warranty - 2k miles. The damn car already has problem. They made me waited for 3 1/2 hrs. That is really sucks. I could have paid $55 for someone to do it right, but I prefer to have lexus do it. It is a little better, I hope or it could be just my imagination, but it is still going to the right and the steering wheel has to point to the left for it to go straight. I don't think it is a curvy road. They indicated on the paper that they did 4-wheel alignment and LT FT Z-Inverted. Do you know of what LT FT Z-Inverted is? Should I take it back for them to re-do it? It is hard for me to trust them if they really did 4-wheel alignment since it is not really corrected the problem. My understanding of z-inverted is rotating tires, but of one the tires I marked is still at the same spot. I heard stories before that sometimes you bring your car in to correct the problem, they make you wait, then said it is fixed; but infact, they make you think it was fixed, but didn't do anything because they f*king think there is nothing wrong with it. Some of the dump bast*d always say Nothing wrong with it. I am really losing my patient with the quality of the ******ing car, and their ******ing service. I could be wrong , but 75% they are ******ing trying to play smart. only 2k miles and I had to bring it back 4 times already for all different problem. Talking about 200k miles, how many times do I have to bring it in. The bast*rd could just adjust one of the front wheels for it to pull the other way instead of doing all 4-wheel alignment. By the time your tires went out, the car is no longer under warranty, it is too late to complain, then they start f*king charge you. This is really making me think, "bringing your car to the dealer is not always a good idea. They could be the problem creator!?!"

Thanks for all of your input.
now have this problem with the steering system.....It's a DESIGN FLAW of some sort.....I had consistent problems with the steering system of my 2003 Corolla. I made a really big stink and they sorta "exchanged" it (still lost money) for a RAV4......and even this vehicle has the SAME STEERING QUIRK (not only does it pull to the left AND right on various occasions, it wanders as well on occassions......and does not have a smooth, linear feeling to steering inputs and is excessively sensitive (have to make a series of corrections to keep it going in one direction).......you couldn't even begin to imagine how totally disgusted I am .......dealer can neither identify, nor fix the problem....they claim everything is to specs

It's a really odd feeling.......Steering feels like it's connected to the wheels with a "rubber band" (wheels will suddenly change direction - slightly - without any change or feeling in the steering wheel) - dunno how else to explain it!

After I mentioned it to several of my friends owning Lexus and Toyota vehicles (newer ones) many say they notice the same thing with the steering of the vehicle

Last edited by vicpai; 08-19-02 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 01:32 AM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Question Alignment

Thank you for you input VP. That is exactly the problem of my rx. It wanders, and you can feel it does not have a smooth rolling. You can feel the force of the wheel going different directions. It feels like left wheel is going slightly left, right wheel going slightly right; I believe the term is called "Toe Out". it feels like rather a toe out then toe in. Thanks
Old 08-21-02, 01:37 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

The problems being discussed may or may not be alignment problems. To name a few tires, tread condition, suspension, steering system, road surface, cross winds, air pressure ...

If you have a FWD RX, there is torque steer ... stomp on the gas and the RX pulls to the right (is it right or left? in any case I have to reign it in).

The other noteable thing is the soft power assist steering on Lexus (some love it & some don't).

If it is not the above two features , have it checked out. As a Lexus owner, you are entitled to superior service. This service generally does not mean free alignments as it can thrown off by curbs and potholes.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-21-02 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-21-02, 02:30 PM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Alignment

My 2002 RX is Front WD, and has only 2k miles, the pressure is correct and all even, tested on flat road, and the car is pulling to the rights, tires are still new, suspensions look normal. I like soft steering, but to me the lexus steering is not that soft like American cars, so I don't think that would be the cause for it to always pull to the right. I have measured the toes and toe-out is 1cm or mm ( 1/20") wider then the toe-in. If the road declines enough to the left, it will go straight. Thank you Salim for you inputs.
Old 08-21-02, 10:02 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

My RX has always behaved well (other than torque steer, soft steering and driving with strong cross winds). Some folks have noticed a marked improvement when they have changed the stock tires. Ask the dealer if they will give you an option to switch from Good Year to Michilen (sp?). Defective tires (unlikely) can be identified by swapping front left with front right. Since the RX is new, you may like to touch (after a bit of driving) each front hubs to see if the right is hotter than the left to eliminate friction. Does the pull become worse/better after sharp braking etc?

Toe-in (out) really help the vehicle in keeping direction (prevent wandering around. I am not sure about the spec but yours seem within tolerance.

Unfortunately the long term tell tale signs of poor alignment are abnormal wear (one edge) of tires and poor fuel economy.

You can always go to an independent alignemnt shop or offer the dealer that you will cover the labor charge of alignment if the alignement is with in specs.

I am running out of ideas. The only thing I am trying to re-assure you is that there are RXs which do not have the problem described in this thread. It is a matter of finding out what is wrong.

Salim
Old 08-22-02, 02:29 PM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation alignment

Braking does not cause any worse of pulling.