RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-02, 08:56 AM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alignment

Hi all,
I am planning to bring my car in this afternoon for alignment, since the steering wheel does not seem to be straight. I hope it will be covered under warranty since it has only 2k miles on it. The car was not used for offroad yet and definitely was not running over curbs or bumps or anything alike. The steering wheel is a bit turning to the left. For alignment, I believe it is pulling to the right a bit. Anyone has the same problem or have any suggestion that I should have it re-alignment. It feels weird going straight with the steering wheel a bit turning to the left. Is this normal?

Thank you all.
Old 08-15-02, 09:21 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '99 pulls to the left also. It has 41k miles on it...and I bought it used. Who knows how the other people drove it. In my experience, re-alignment really isnt that expensive...$50 maybe. I havent re-aligned it yet but I plan to at my next service visit.
Old 08-15-02, 12:21 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

When we bought our 01, it had the slight left pull with 8 miles on the odometer. Longo Lexus aligned it and no change. I complained and was met with "this is a characteristic of a FWD" and had been alighned to specs. This was happening since only one wheel is pulling the RX most of the time, according to the service manager, Chris.

I wasn't satisfied. Told him to align it again, do whatever it takes because I'm not buying their reasoning or I'd go to corporate. They tried the second time and was able to fix it.
Old 08-15-02, 01:08 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

A lot of times alignment issues are caused by tires, but in your case (low miles) that is unlikely.

Be sure you are tesing your alignment on a flat surface. When driving on roads you will have to keep the wheels slightly to the left because of the creast in the road. Road are built with a certain degree of an angle for water runoff.

Get on a multi late (4-5 lanes per side) and try the fast lane (should have to hold wheel to the right) then try the slow land (should have to hold it to the left).

There are some flat roads (those that are downhill that natually allow for water to run down). When on those I can drive with no hands - don't try this at home kids, I'm a trained professional!. The RX track straight forever. But on other roads I have to hold the wheel to the side.

You may actually have an alighment issue, I just wanted you and others to be aware of this if you were not already.
Old 08-15-02, 01:09 PM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb alignment

Thank you Whitels and LexRX. My car is Front wheel drive as well. The problem presents when I first got it. I thought it is normal or maybe I am picky, but it makes my arm kind of tired.... thats why I want to hear your opinion to make sure it is not my imagination.

I checked tires pressure to make sure they are all even and correct, and I did test on flat road as you mentioned.

I also tested it on a flat road by, turn to the right, then let go the steering wheel and see how far it returns the wheel to center in 200 ft. doing it again by turning to the left, but it does not return the wheel as far as the right turn.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Last edited by lexian; 08-15-02 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-15-02, 04:22 PM
LexusRx300_dude
Driver School Candidate

Post alignment on Rx300

I just had mine done about a month ago. I have a 99 and it seems I have to keep the steering wheel extremely straight while driving or it weeves a little especially on the freeway straight aways. It has been doing that even before I had the alignment. I read this same thing on a review that the Rx is hard to keep in a straight line while driving. who knows.....
Let me know if anyone has experienced this as well.
thanks......

Rx300_dude