RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Got hit today

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 01:53 PM
Handogen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got hit today

I was on my way to Noodles & Company for lunch with a new coworker when a 15 year old girl ran into me on the passenger's side. Luckily she was just going slow. She somehow lost her mind because she was going about 5 mph and had at least 25 feet to stop... we watched her slowly bump into me. It looked like her brakes might have gone out or weren't working because she had PLENTY of room and time.

Damage Report: She bent the front right fender flare and scraped the bottom body cladding. I'll be taking it to a Lexus Certified body shop (local dealer doesn't do bodywork) tomorrow.

Poor girl was terrified. . . and her Mom called her stupid. Nice parenting!! No wonder she's an airhead. Her Mom verbally abuses her and obviously doesn't give her any encouragement. Oh well.

Hopefully this is the last accident I'll have with my RX. . . (knocking on wood and being thankful. it wasn't any worse).

If anybody cares to know what it's going to cost to replace those 3 pieces, let me know. I'll probably follow up tomorrow.

-Hando

Last edited by Handogen; 08-05-02 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-05-02, 02:30 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Accidents always suck...

Not to make light of it, but this one sounds
like the bulldozer scene in Austin Powers II.
Old 08-05-02, 02:59 PM
Handogen
Driver

Hehe that's exactly what it was like. Thanks Paddy, I needed a good laugh! I'm going to have to watch that tonight when I get home.... aaaah!!

When she was coming at me we had enough time to realize what was about to happen.. then watch in amazement as it happened in super slow motion. I remember thinking "Is she going to stop? Does she see me? Why isn't she stopping? Please don't hit me please don't hit me please don't hit me. Oh crap this girl is going to hit me. Aww f@ck, she just hit me."

Poor girl... just learning how to drive and her first accident has to be with a $30,000 Lexus... ($38k new).

Her Mom said she was going to take her out to an empty parking lot and practice. She said she'd jump out in front of the car and see if the girl stops. I said "I wouldn't do that if I were you". She revised her idea and said she should throw a traffic cone out instead. I agreed... too funny.

Last edited by Handogen; 08-05-02 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-05-02, 03:29 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez...Could you see the driver's face/eyes?
Old 08-05-02, 04:42 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Actually I beleive it was Austin Powers I . Anyways snap a pic of the damage if you can...and I'll be interested to hear how much the estimate is. Tell me what kind of car it was so I can be sure to steer clear of any.....just in case
Old 08-05-02, 06:44 PM
LexusRx300_dude
Driver School Candidate

Post damage cost..............

I recently got in an accident as well. My passenger side back door got smashed in a bit, and was scraped. The body work was around $2200. I had it repaired at a lexus dealership.

your case, i'm guessing around $1000-1200. They'll probably replace your whole fender along with the other stuff.
You gotta remember Lexus is Luxury, so all the stuff done to our rides are pricey.

N/e how that's my guesstimate. Hope all goes well when getting your car back to regular..

luxury driver.........

Rx300_dude
Old 08-05-02, 09:31 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Handogen, best of luck getting things fixed without any headaches. I always imagine myself being so very angry if someone hit me, but I would just feel bad for that girl

I couldn't stop laughing at your second post about the slo-mo accident
Old 08-06-02, 07:32 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Handogen,

Sorry to hear about the accident, I'm just glad no one got hurt, 'cause afterall that's the most important thing, right?

Yes, like you said, could've been worse. The girl could have panicked and hit on the gas instead... it's not funny, but it Could happen...

Hope you can get the repairs done quickly, and have your RX as good as new.

-Hendry
Old 08-06-02, 11:18 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Sorry to hear about your loss, but could you have done something to avoid the collision ... moving RX out of the way?

Salim
Old 08-07-02, 06:19 AM
Handogen
Driver

Actually Salim, I thought quite a bit about that. Realistically the answer was no, at least not safely. There was a concrete island in front of me. I entered the parking lot and she hit me on the right. I had to veer right to enter the parking area. I probably could have floored it and gotten out of her way. But if I did that, she could have hit my axle or rear end instead of my passenger door.

You always think about what you could have done. But realistically I was in the right of way and entered the intersection way before she did. And she had adequate time to see me and stop.

It's just kind of one of those things. I'm thankful she was going so slow and damage was minimal. But most of all I'm glad nobody got hurt... Add to that, that none of my airbags deployed.
Old 08-07-02, 09:03 AM
nerdspeed
Rookie

Default I GOT HIT TOO!!!

I think RX's are being targeted all around the world....

I was in class yesterday... and some idiot hit my car while trying to park!! When I parked my car, I even made sure there were like 3 empty spaces on each side!!! They didn't even leave a note or anything, dumb@ss pulled a hit n' run. So now I gotta get a new rear bumper, but this is also giving me an excuse to get the bottom part of the RX painted to match the body.
Old 08-07-02, 09:58 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Costs & Rants

First of all- am glad you are safe. Second no major/frame damage to your baby. My baby had similar damage and is in the body shop currently (neighbor scraped left lower body panels while pulling out of carport). Damages were estimated by body shop to be ~ 2200. Local lexus dealer doesnt do body work and uses the same bodyshop my baby is in right now.

What state allows 15 year olds to drive? To me (well, I am not american so I still dont understand some of the stuff) thats on the borderline of child abuse! Parents should find enough time to drive their 15 year old kids to where they need to, or they should ride a bike. 15 year olds do not have the maturity to drive and no amount of practice/guidance is going to replace natures way. Imagine 15 yr old driving and then at the age of 16 she drives a Suburban and ....I shudder to think what could happen.

For all of us who are 21+ imagine yourself when you were 15 and think whether you were mature enough to drive?

Sorry to vent myself but it really bothers me!
Old 08-07-02, 10:11 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

gsenthil, the 15 yr. old was driving with her mom in the car. She isn't allowed to drive alone. Her mom was teaching her how to drive...just had a mishap. Live and learn.
Old 08-07-02, 02:30 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Doesnt matter who she was driving with

15 is still 15.

I learnt (car) driving in India when I was 21 (the legal age is drive a car in India is 21, for scooter is 18). The car was specifically designed/built for learning and had two sets of brakes clutch etc etc. Even if I did make a mistake my teacher could press the brakes or take corrective action.

Just because someone has 2 arms that can rotate a (power) steering wheel and legs long enuff to reach the (power) brakes doesnt make them qualified to drive. There is a reason kids dont go to school (first grade) until they are 5 or not get married until they are 18. Driving requires as much maturity if not more
Old 08-07-02, 05:20 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while it is scary to think of what can happen, there is still no way they could ever change that . i mean can you imagine heading off to college and your parents still have to drive you!? man as if it wasnt bad enough in high school.

here in NC you can drive at 15 with a parent or at sixteen alone, also for the first six months you can only drive from 5 am to 9 pm. that helps to reduce some of the accidents...also part of our high school cirrculum was to go out with a certified person who taught us how to drive...not just our parents. so they are trying to make it safer...i give them credit.