RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clear water like transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 07:03 PM
quincy50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear water like transmission fluid?

I recently bought a 99 RX300, 160K. We cruise 70-75 MPH on free way for about 100 mi, Trans. Temp. light came on. I stopped at a gas station and check the fluid, it was on the mark but clear color, like water. When restarted the car, light was off, and managed to drive home. Any explanation about the clear water like fluid?

Brought it to the shop the next day, looks like they did the drain and fill, cost $55. Now it kind of slip between 1 and 2 gear. Check the hot trans. oil level, it is on the mark (It is light pink color now). But the cold trans. oil level is way higher than the hot mark. Could it be too much oil that cause the slip?

I check these threads and found very helpful, knowledgeable DIY. I will do another D&F myself tomorrow and propb. check or change filter after 200mi. Found the filter&gasket at autozone for $17, the box said meet or exceed OEM part. I wonder if we could use these? Any one use these parts before? Thanks everyone.
Old 12-08-10, 09:52 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My theory (and it's just a theory): The previuous owner decieved you or someone screwed them when it came to the tranny. The reason I state this is that everything I know about Toyota Type T-IV ATF is that it's always cherry red in color. Type T-IV ATF (or an acceptable equivalent) is the only fluid that allows Toyota trannys to work properly.

Because it now looks "pink" is because the shop you took it to didn't do a full flush (I hope they didn't charge you for one). It sounds like they used the proper fluid this time (the cherry red color) but did a simple DIY drain, which means there were at least a couple of quarts of the old clear fluid left in the tranny. Cherry red + clear = pink.

Doing at least one (or two) DIY drain and fills should hopefully clear up your shifting problems. To have some piece of mind, it might be worth it to take it to a shop that can do a true tranny flush so you get all that old fluid out.
Old 12-09-10, 12:27 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300TC
My theory (and it's just a theory): The previuous owner decieved you or someone screwed them when it came to the tranny. The reason I state this is that everything I know about Toyota Type T-IV ATF is that it's always cherry red in color. Type T-IV ATF (or an acceptable equivalent) is the only fluid that allows Toyota trannys to work properly.

Because it now looks "pink" is because the shop you took it to didn't do a full flush (I hope they didn't charge you for one). It sounds like they used the proper fluid this time (the cherry red color) but did a simple DIY drain, which means there were at least a couple of quarts of the old clear fluid left in the tranny. Cherry red + clear = pink.

Doing at least one (or two) DIY drain and fills should hopefully clear up your shifting problems. To have some piece of mind, it might be worth it to take it to a shop that can do a true tranny flush so you get all that old fluid out.
I, as well as many others on this forum DO NOT approve of flushes PERIOD. Even Toyota doesn't approve of them, though some T/L dealers may use "Flush" equipment. There is TOO much danger of failure shortly after a flush because of the "junk" stirred up by a flush, which then gets in valves where it shouldn't be and causes valve body malfunction, and soon transmission failure. I believe in changing ALL the fluid, but by letting the tranny pump pump it through, not by a flush. I also don't believe in not cleaning the pan, which has to be removed to clean and change the filter. "Flushes" are a bad way to go.
And additionally, I have NEVER yet seen clear trans. fluid. Not saying it doesn't exist, though I doubt it, but have never seen it if it does exist.
Old 12-09-10, 12:33 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Personally I make "The Zone" the LAST choice for parts, only if no one else has the parts. If you have an O'Reilly's in your area, I believe they carry a better line of parts, more like the shops use. A lot of parts say "meets or exceeds OEM" that I wouldn't choose to to use. Fram is definitely one of them.
Old 12-09-10, 03:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree with code58, do NOT do a FLUSH, it does more harm than good.... Stick with drain and fills.
Old 12-09-10, 06:43 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I stand corrected on the flush advice, what I meant to say is make sure it all gets pumped out, but not necessarily by an external machine. But I still say someone pulled a fast one with the supposedly clear tranny fluid....
Old 12-09-10, 08:22 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX300TC
OK, I stand corrected on the flush advice, what I meant to say is make sure it all gets pumped out, but not necessarily by an external machine. But I still say someone pulled a fast one with the supposedly clear tranny fluid....
I couldn't agree more with that. Can't even imagine what they used because I have NEVER in all my years seen "clear" tranny fluid. And, as stated, I'm a firm believer in "pumping" all the fluid out (with the vehicles own pump). I can't stand the thought of not cleaning the pan either. Also, by the time the vehicle has a 100k mi. it should have a new gasket even if it has always been "pumped" by the vehicles own pump.
Old 12-10-10, 05:54 PM
quincy50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like magic, I did the drain & fill incl. the trans. case following Lexmex DIY instructions, put in exactly 4.5 qt. of T4, right on the mark. It shifts so smooth now. The whole process took about 30 min. incl. cleaning the MAF in between.
Can't wait to do the pan drop and check the filter.
Glad to have very informed people in DIY. These tranys. really need juice or go thirsty. Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-10, 11:35 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Yea Quincy, and even though some guys report no problems with alternative "universal" fluids, I don't think in this case it's worth taking the chance on anything but T-IV.