RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

"Thummmmb/Doommmmm" Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-02, 06:01 PM
ShaggyRogers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Thummmmb/Doommmmm" Noise

Hi all!

Hope you guys can help me out. I just got my 2002 RX two weeks ago and I have been noticing a "thummmmb" or "doommmm" noise coming from the hood on the front passenger side after I put the car in reverse and then forward (backing out of my garage). This noise appears about 10 seconds after I start the engine and only if the car has been idle for a long time (overnight or lunch time). It is kind of similar when you would turn on the AC as if it is getting more power or something. Is this normal???

I am going to mention this to the service guys when I take my RX in for the 1000 miles checkup.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-29-02, 04:26 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hrm.. no idea but bring it back to dealer asap and get it fixed... good luck man
Old 03-18-07, 03:31 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loud Rumbling Noise in Reverse

When putting the car in reverse against an uneven and slippery icy surface I have had a similar loud booming noise in the front end somewhere. Was trying to slowly accelerate in reverse up a small grade, wheels might have and probably were slipping as when in forward on the same grade the trac light was on/off intermittently. Then when I reversed on a flat grade there was only a slight bit of the odd loud sound for just an instant - then it stopped and the car sounded like its normal wonderful quiet Lexus self.

Any idea if the trac control does something odd - or who knows maybe the sound is normal in reverse on slippery grades but it sure was loud - in reverse under excess load or on slippery surfaces? I'd like to test this again but the sound was so loud I am reluctant.

Transmission fluid has been d/f'd a couple times and is pretty nice and pinky. (Edit: At the time the car was cold ~32F.)

Shaggy, are you still around with your RX, what was the outcome?

Last edited by parula; 03-18-07 at 04:00 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 04-13-07, 04:01 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It may be the AC compressor ......make sure the AC controls are set to OFF before starting the engine, and see it it makes the same noise.

Originally Posted by ShaggyRogers
Hi all!

Hope you guys can help me out. I just got my 2002 RX two weeks ago and I have been noticing a "thummmmb" or "doommmm" noise coming from the hood on the front passenger side after I put the car in reverse and then forward (backing out of my garage). This noise appears about 10 seconds after I start the engine and only if the car has been idle for a long time (overnight or lunch time). It is kind of similar when you would turn on the AC as if it is getting more power or something. Is this normal???

I am going to mention this to the service guys when I take my RX in for the 1000 miles checkup.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-07, 05:01 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my case I am very sure that the AC was not on, I always leave it off and this was winter conditions so unless I bumped it on the AC was probably off, but thanks I will keep this in mind. Also FWIW there have been no repeats of the noise - also no slippery slopes to traverse backwards!