RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 02:55 PM
celings
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission cooler

I transmission started slipping on the way home from work. I was thinking to myself here we go trans going out. Turns out when i came outside for work the next day there was a puddle under my right side tire. I looked through the vent and can see the trans cooler there. I couldnt see where the fluid was leaking from but does anyone know how hard it is to change it? Is it common for it to leak or maybe a host to leak?

Thanks for your help
Charlie
Old 03-08-10, 04:40 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to remove the plastic inner fender liner to access the cooler. I don't believe there are any hoses on the cooler, I'm pretty sure from what I remember they are all hard lines (that screw into the cooler) in that area at least. I don't think it should be that hard to change. I would consider getting a good used one from a wrecking yard if it is actually leaking. I imagine they are pretty expensive new. I doubt seriously that it is common. That type of cooler is pretty rugged. Good luck.
Old 03-08-10, 04:58 PM
celings
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Here is a picture of one I found on ebay. I am hoping thise rubber tubes are perhaps the problem. I am almost at 130k. Maybe after i repair its time to move on.

Name:  transcooler.PNG
Views: 1878
Size:  53.7 KB
Old 03-08-10, 06:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

That's not hard to changeout pretty easy to get in there.

The cooler is held in by 2 bolts and 1 screw.

What I'd do is start up the vehicle and see what kind of fluid starts to leak out of there.

Is the fluid red?

Other possibilities on that side are the power steering fluid reservoir (uses red ATF), coolant reservoir (red coolant) and of course the oil pan down there, but I doubt that.

It's not common at all to have issues with the ATF hoses to that cooler.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooler-img_2289.jpg   Transmission cooler-img_2290.jpg  
Old 03-08-10, 11:58 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by celings
Here is a picture of one I found on ebay. I am hoping thise rubber tubes are perhaps the problem. I am almost at 130k. Maybe after i repair its time to move on.

Attachment 166855
Sorry celings- Guess I was thinking of the metal lines that the hoses go to on the chassis. It's been almost 4 years since I had the front engine and drive unit out of my DIL's RX and time had dulled my memory.
Old 03-09-10, 12:15 PM
celings
Driver School Candidate

just to update. I removed the cooler today and my luck a rock must have somehow got up in there and knocked a pin sized hole in it. conitueing with my luck it is a dealer part only. Bend you over priced at 500$. I refuse so I hit ebay and found a guy with a wrecked one who charged me 80$ shipped next day air. So now I just have to hope no damage has been done to the transmission from the fluid running low for a couple miles.
Old 03-09-10, 05:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

just to update. I removed the cooler today and my luck a rock must have somehow got up in there and knocked a pin sized hole in it. conitueing with my luck it is a dealer part only. Bend you over priced at 500$. I refuse so I hit ebay and found a guy with a wrecked one who charged me 80$ shipped next day air. So now I just have to hope no damage has been done to the transmission from the fluid running low for a couple miles.
Does your tranny surge at all or have any other strange symptoms right now?
Old 03-09-10, 06:57 PM
celings
Driver School Candidate

No it didnt prior to the fluid isssue. Thats how I noticed the leak the car had no power. I assume because the fluid was low reducing the pressure in the trans. Could it have messed up the clutchs if they wernt engaging all the way?
Old 03-10-10, 10:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

No it didnt prior to the fluid isssue. Thats how I noticed the leak the car had no power. I assume because the fluid was low reducing the pressure in the trans. Could it have messed up the clutchs if they wernt engaging all the way?
I've done worse abuse to my tranny, but it keeps ticking.

What's your status right now with the situation?
Old 04-05-10, 10:37 PM
rdaught
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

200,000 miles so far no problems in the last 10 years. But... the other day I thought the tranny was going out. It felt like the car was banging into gear when switching to reverse and when going up a hill. Put the car in the shop (dealer) to have the 200,000 mile service and they said the tranny needs replacement (after I described the problem). But when I got the car back the tranny seems fine. I have driven it for a couple hundred miles since the service and have heard/felt no problems. My friend says my description sounded more like differential fluid was low - and maybe they filled it. Now I'm wondering if Lexus was trying to take me for a ride. They offered 3500 as a trade in!? No accidents, everything still looks pretty new. Always got the scheduled work done at the dealer. Its still a beautiful car - I expect to kep it at least another 10 years.