RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

The before/after window tint pics are up

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 01:55 AM
whjones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The before/after window tint pics are up

Shonuff, LexRx, Paddy Wagon, et al.,

I finally got the pictures up (in the gallery) showing the before and after views of my RX-300. I got what's referred to as the "legal" Hawaiian tint, whatever that means. It's the same as what the majority of RX-300 owners get from this shop. It looks really nice, but I'll have to wait for a couple of days to really start to see the difference. Let me know what y'all think.
Old 05-26-02, 02:44 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Nice jones...

seems like its gonna be hard to peer thru that tint of yours... sweet job, how much did it run you?
Old 05-26-02, 07:49 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

jones: nice job!!! it gonna be a ***** to see thru that mirror tint on the windshield lol. is that a limo parked in front of your rx??
Old 05-26-02, 09:26 AM
whjones
Driver School Candidate

The windshield "tint" is actually a sunscreen. It is interesting to note that in the picture on the packaging, the product is used in the windshield of an RX-300 and fits perfectly. When I attempted to fit the sunscreen in the windshield area like the picture on the front, I found that it was a little wider than advertised, so couldn't fit exactly hehehe

The tint job cost $250 + tax and took about two and a half hours. I think they did a very nice job, but I have to wait for another couple of days to really see how it looks. I like it already, however, but when I go to work today and tomorrow, I'll just have to open the door vice rolling down the window, when I pas through the front gate (I'm in the military and have to show my military ID card when I enter my base).

An interesting fact about the island of Oahu, here in Hawaii is that limos are commonly used as taxicabs. My father-in-law, as well as all three of my brothers-in-law, drives a cab here. The limo belongs to one of my brothers-in-law. It tends to give people here a sense of being important, but without costing them an arm and a leg for the ride hehehe
Old 05-26-02, 10:23 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

i did notice all the limos when i was out there the year before last.

i was joking about the "tint" on the windsheild lol.

i had to do the same thing with opening the door to get on base.......contractor company working for the navy (raytheon). the gate guy told me "don't tell me you have broken windows in a lexus!!" hahaha had to explain that i just got the windows retinted.
Old 05-26-02, 02:47 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The tint makes the green mirror tint looks much deeper. I like it a lot. Did you have anything done to the front windows?

I don't know in what states this is applicable, but I know in Georgia all windows but the front can be tinted as dark as you want.

Last edited by LexRX; 05-26-02 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 03:40 PM
whjones
Driver School Candidate

Talking

yeah, he basically put the same shade tint on all windows except the windshield. Because the glass itself was tinted, the tint film makes the rear windows look darker. I was told that he went as far with the front windows as is possible under current Hawaii state regulations. The regulations differ from state to state, so I just got what is currently legal here. It has changed since I got her. There are quite a few vehicles here so dark that even when approached to a distance of about 1-2 feet, it is still impossible to view the interior. Of course, they may not be strictly legal, but an Andrew Jackson here or there when the vehicle is being safety inspected goes quite a long ways in some parts here, especially the North Shore hehehe

After I relocate to the mainland (the "REAL" US), I plan on getting the tint re-evaluated in light of the laws of the state in which I'm residing. I don't really care where I go, as long as I can take care of my family. Since I'm going into the IT field, I should be able to provide for a very "large" family, if you know what I mean hehehe My goal is to relocate to the area which will afford me a family of me and my wife, and at least 20 kids hehehe Seriously, I would like to make a "decent" wage, but the more "decent" the better. I will have to balance the wage with the cost of living and the (lack of) state income tax. For example, in Florida, there is no state income tax, which is very nice. I've actually never had to pay state income tax in my life (in 1979, I didn't make enough money to pay state income tax ).

I would like to eventually get the tint as dark as I can. It will really help me out at night, with those cars here who have one headlight not only pointed up too high, but on high beams as well.

Bud
Old 06-02-02, 07:48 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BuD,

Dig that tint...I'm sure you need it in the tropical sun.

I want the stuff spinteews has...Looks like the
back windows. Totally mirrorific!