RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacing Timing Belt- What else should be done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 10:53 AM
kosmo69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Timing Belt- What else should be done?

The advisor recommened changing the seals and water pump. Why the WP if its working? The other belts will also be replaced.

thanks
Old 04-15-09, 12:09 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Depends on how long you want to keep it. The WP will last much longer the the T-belt but is costly to just replace alone if done separate. It's also a good idea to change out the other belts since they have to take them off anyway.

Also, check out a quote at a Toyota dealer. Many have found a considerable savings having the work preformed there. It's all the same parts!
Old 04-15-09, 05:51 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The seals and water pump don't usually go out. If they do, you end up paying the labor twice........ but they usually don't. However, that's some nice added profit for the dealer!
Old 04-16-09, 11:34 AM
kosmo69
Driver School Candidate

Good point all. I will get it done at a toyota dealership. How much are the seals? Im sure the WP is more costly. I intend to replace ALL belts. tks
Old 04-16-09, 12:45 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I would suggest replace the water-pump and seals if there is a problem.

I would be more concerned about the idlers as they are lubed for life. If you notice any blue tinge (sign of heating) have it/them replaced.

Salim
Old 04-16-09, 01:55 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

I would get the water pump, timing belt, and drive belts done.
Old 04-17-09, 06:25 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

look at the big picture,if you plan on keeping it then i would do as mentioned.Belt`s,pump etc.If your not planing on keeping the vehicle,just do the belt.I`m not replacing mine until 120,000 miles,then I`ll do the plugs as well.
Old 04-17-09, 04:59 PM
kosmo69
Driver School Candidate

got the timing and other belts done for $297 total. The dealer said the Pump and seals were fine.
Old 04-17-09, 05:46 PM
salimshah

That is a phenomenally low price. T belt change with other belts is at least 3 hr of labour + parts.

Do you mind sharing which shop did it?

Salim
Old 04-17-09, 08:37 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Junk water pumps

Originally Posted by kosmo69
got the timing and other belts done for $297 total. The dealer said the Pump and seals were fine.
Wow, that price if great. Was this at Lexus or a local shop? Whichever, this is one place you should continue to go to, they didn't just replace the pump because it's "recommended." So many things that are changed are such "old school" carry-over ideas and thoughts from YEARS AGO. The original though with changing the water pump was that since the belt was coming off and water pumps in the dayz didn't last much longer than say 100K, then might as well change it out at 60K if you're doing the belts. Nowadays, the mechanical and operating parts are designed so well that I would not expect a water pump to fail until well into 150K or so. Therefore, if you're doing your belts are 100K and changing the pump, then you're replacing a pump that's still got 50K left on it.

Anyway, looks like you got set right and the correct thing was done and at a very reasonable price.
Old 04-17-09, 11:43 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Wow, that price if great. Was this at Lexus or a local shop? Whichever, this is one place you should continue to go to, they didn't just replace the pump because it's "recommended." So many things that are changed are such "old school" carry-over ideas and thoughts from YEARS AGO. The original though with changing the water pump was that since the belt was coming off and water pumps in the dayz didn't last much longer than say 100K, then might as well change it out at 60K if you're doing the belts. Nowadays, the mechanical and operating parts are designed so well that I would not expect a water pump to fail until well into 150K or so. Therefore, if you're doing your belts are 100K and changing the pump, then you're replacing a pump that's still got 50K left on it.

Anyway, looks like you got set right and the correct thing was done and at a very reasonable price.
AA- I replaced the water pump, idler pulleys, and timing belt a couple of months ago on my DIL's 99RX. (I replaced the timing belt at 97k and replaced it again at about 130k but that's for another write-up when I get a chance) I am wondering whether anyone has ACTUALLY ever had a water pump go out in one of these- at ANY # of miles. If you have, please post it. Being the curious type I cut all removed parts apart with a die grinder and cut-off blade to see what they actually looked like. I was amazed to say the least! The water pump is one of the finest pieces of engineering I have ever seen. The way it is built, I question whether Toyota would EVER sell a water pump if they didn't recommend replacement at X # of miles. It looked virtually new at 130k mi. and I can guarantee it is the original pump, the date of manufacture is cast into it. Everything I cut apart looked almost new and all the grease was totally "live" yet. When I get time I will post the story with pictures, and you all can make up your own mind.
Old 04-18-09, 03:51 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
AA- I replaced the water pump, idler pulleys, and timing belt a couple of months ago on my DIL's 99RX. (I replaced the timing belt at 97k and replaced it again at about 130k but that's for another write-up when I get a chance) I am wondering whether anyone has ACTUALLY ever had a water pump go out in one of these- at ANY # of miles. If you have, please post it. Being the curious type I cut all removed parts apart with a die grinder and cut-off blade to see what they actually looked like. I was amazed to say the least! The water pump is one of the finest pieces of engineering I have ever seen. The way it is built, I question whether Toyota would EVER sell a water pump if they didn't recommend replacement at X # of miles. It looked virtually new at 130k mi. and I can guarantee it is the original pump, the date of manufacture is cast into it. Everything I cut apart looked almost new and all the grease was totally "live" yet. When I get time I will post the story with pictures, and you all can make up your own mind.
Roger, the WP on my Avalon (exact match for RX) was sticking a little at 88k. I did replace it to be safe. For all I know that bearing was always a little sticky although the WP on the RX turned smooth as silk at that mileage.
Old 04-18-09, 06:55 AM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kosmo69
What "seals" were they checking?
Old 04-18-09, 08:54 AM
salimshah

In that area there should be the front main and being a V6 engine 4 overhead cam seals. The water-pump would have a seal. The idlers are lubed for life and do not have the seal. Then there is the gasket, which is a type of seal, but since it has a name for it self, it is not counted as a seal. Timing belt cover keeps the dust out, so some re-use it to save money, but it should be replaced.

Salim
Old 04-18-09, 02:36 PM
kosmo69
Driver School Candidate

It was dont at a Toyota dealer in Houston. I had a coupon for $229.

Quick Reply: Replacing Timing Belt- What else should be done?