RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 01:25 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LA4- I did FE alignment in the course of my work for quite a few years. I can say that IF your RX drives straight down the road, doesn't pull and doesn't wear tires, I would suggest leaving it alone. The installation of the new parts you mentioned shouldn't change the alignment at all. Caster and camber are essentially built into an RX and are not adjustable, only toe. Camber IS adjustable with the eccentric bolt kit, but in my opinion is TOTALLY unnecessary and a waste of money. If the above criteria are met, it's more of a "feel good thing" than anything else. Most front engine front drive cars tend to have negative camber anyway. They're built that way. Some have pretty severe negative camber when sitting, the torque of the front wheels when power is applied causes the wheels to go to a close to zero camber. Do what you want, it's your money. It cost you nothing, and I can guarantee it's worth a WHOLE lot more than you paid for it.
Old 05-28-11, 07:08 PM
dindih
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, there seems to be a lot of deep knowledge here, especially for a clueless soul like me!

I need a little help here. I have a 2000 RX300 AW at 108K miles and just got a new transmission job done which seems to work great for a few days now. In the process, we ended up taking out a lot of parts from the car, including the tires, even the frame to take out the transmission. The engine had to be held hanging from above. The transmission shop suggested, based on the uneven tire wear they said they have observed in the front tires, a FE alignment. I think I may also have a warped front rotor(s). When I brake to slow down the car, the break pad seems to wobble on the rotor. You don't get the feeling of a firm grasp and a stable drive during braking.

I will change the two front rotors tomorrow with the help of a friend. If I want to get a FE alignment, do I need to get it done in a Lexus or Toyota dealership, in a specialty shop, or places like NTB, etc. can also do it ? What is a reasonable price ? Are we talking about within a $100 or more ?

I appreciate your help !
Old 05-28-11, 07:47 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Rotors should fall off once the wheels (and calipers) are off ... unless they are rusted on the hub. Penetrating oil like liquid wrench or pb-blaster should free them up. Note once you do apply the penetrating oil the component should not be put back without thorough cleaning and dont get it on the brake pads. It is ok to use on the rotor that you will discard.

I would suggest ... go to shop that specialize in alignment. Some tire shops dont deal with alignment .... like Costco & Discount Tires. So check.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-29-11 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added calipers
Old 05-29-11, 12:40 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

It SHOULDN'T run $100., unless the prices in DE. are really high. Depends on what kind of wear you have. My experience in alignment is that on those cars that are factory welded in place (either spot welded when proper alignment is achieved or so well jigged when built) that in the life of the vehicle they never need Caster and Camber adjustment anyway, unless they have hit curbs or been involved in an accident. As far as toe adjustment, that is always something that has the potential for changing because of all that the steering system goes through in the life of the vehicle. FOR THE MOST PART, caster and camber are not adjustable on the RX anyway, so what you get in a front end alignment is an expensive toe adjustment and a "feel good" adjustment also. That is a little bit oversimplified, but not by much.
As Salim said, best place for the alignment is a shop that specializes in alignment, and one that is experienced with the RX. Not necessary to go to Lexus. If you are not familiar with the shop you go to, be sure and try to get a feel for their integrity and honesty and also competency. And BE SURE to ask about price. Spent most of my life in automotive working in good honest shops, but wish I could say all shops were that way but my nose would have grow about a foot or two and I wouldn't like that. Plenty of dealers that aren't even honest.
Old 05-30-11, 11:47 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4 Wheel Alignment

Originally Posted by code58
LA4- I did FE alignment in the course of my work for quite a few years. I can say that IF your RX drives straight down the road, doesn't pull and doesn't wear tires, I would suggest leaving it alone. The installation of the new parts you mentioned shouldn't change the alignment at all. Caster and camber are essentially built into an RX and are not adjustable, only toe...
Code, thanks for the insight. Originally when I bought ('99 model) in 1998, right off the boat the car could not track straight on a flat surface. It was sloppy, wandering all over, and pulled to the left. Each time I brought it in, L would return it "no problem found - within specifications" which was very aggrevating. Finally about the fourth time, the dealer was more helpful and sent it out to an alignment shop who did a four-wheel alignment and adjusted the front toe and maybe the rear toe or camber, still within Lexus specs, but the the slight adjustment did the trick. That was more than 120,000 miles and over 12 years ago, and with the skinny OE "Integrity" tires.

If I have it checked after the new struts, mounts, insulators, etc., is it possible that the front (toe only?) can affect cornering?

Isn't the rear camber adjustable without any kits (referring to the adjustment markings on the rear frame)? Would the adjustment on the rear also help cornering the way it has on my RWD Celica GTS? If so, do you suggest I should ask for +/- camber, and r/l difference?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. the 4 wheel alignment at Tire Pros runs $89 FWIW.

Last edited by LA4Mead; 05-30-11 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-30-11, 11:53 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
Code, thanks for the insight. Originally when I bought ('99 model) in 1998, right off the boat the car could not track straight on a flat surface. It was sloppy, wandering all over, and pulled to the left. Each time I brought it in, L would return it "no problem found - within specifications" which was very aggrevating. Finally about the fourth time, the dealer was more helpful and sent it out to an alignment shop who did a four-wheel alignment and adjusted the front toe and maybe the rear toe or camber, still within Lexus specs, but the the slight adjustment did the trick. That was more than 120,000 miles and over 12 years ago, and with the skinny OE "Integrity" tires.

If I have it checked after the new struts, mounts, insulators, etc., is it possible that the front (toe only?) can affect cornering?

Isn't the rear camber adjustable without any kits (referring to the adjustment markings on the rear frame)? Would the adjustment on the rear also help cornering the way it has on my RWD Celica GTS? If so, do you suggest I should ask for +/- camber, and r/l difference?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. the 4 wheel alignment at Tire Pros runs $89 FWIW.
LA4- isn't the rear just toe, no camber? I could be wrong about that but I'll check the manual tomorrow and let you know. If you're talking about the markings on the rear of the center (where the rear rods mount), that's toe.
Old 05-31-11, 02:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Anyone remember the actual frequency of my alignments in Mexico?
Old 05-31-11, 03:13 PM
chachacha
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got lifetime alignment at Firestones for $169.00... Good if you have take your ride back every year or as needed occasion
Old 03-29-15, 01:32 PM
lexupro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel alignment should last a long time unless you strike the front end on something

In my experience, and I have years as a Lexus mechanic, the RX 350 can easily make 20,000 to 35,000 miles between alignments...Unless the vehicle has a Massive impact to the from end or is continually driving dirt roads that are full of pot holes. Your vehicle will be pulling to one side if it needs an alignment. One way to check for this is to get on an open and FLAT road, set a certain speed (say 55-65), let the vehicle stabilize and feel how much pressure must be applied to the steering wheel to keep from drifting. If excessive pressure has to be applied the vehicle may be out of alignment. NOTE: This test CANNOT be done on downtown or neighborhood streets - It must be carried out on long flat stretches of highway where a good rate of speed can be maintained - ANY pulling on downtown streets cannot be attributed to alignment because of the excessive camber of the road will give false results. Of course you can also check for uneven tread wear. If you take your vehicle to a car of tire dealer at anything less than 20000 miles since your last alignment and he recommends a new alignment I would definitely get a second opinion. I know of many dealers out there who will tell customers when they come in for a tire rotation that they need (in a Big Way) an alignment also (Even when the alignment on the vehicle is fine). This is 8 times out of 10 BS. I have also seen dealers tell customers that the vehicle is very badly out of alignment when absolutely nothing-and I mean NOTHING is wrong with the alignment just to get an extra dollar. If you have had an alignment in the past year and you are being told you need another - You BETTER find another dealer or at minimum GET A SECOND OPINION. Too many mechanics charging for unnecessary procedures. (Many big retailers push their employees to sell unnecessary procedures for profits) SHAME SHAME!!!

Last edited by lexupro; 03-29-15 at 02:59 PM. Reason: addition o text
Old 03-29-15, 11:37 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol my 2002 Rx has 176k and hasn't had a alignment since around 140k should I get a alignment it kinda pulls to the side and I find myself correcting it and my dad's 2001 Rx has 202k and hasn't had a alignment since 180k I drive through tons of potholes and hit bumps all the time...we have terrible roads in fort worth!
Old 03-30-15, 08:25 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Some steering issues are due to the tires.

Before going for an alignment, I would suggest back to front swap.

I have never been happy with alignment shops (even dealer). The only time I am happy with the work is going to a speed shop and explaining my issues and desires. Here in Austin, 'soul speed' (Collin) has kept my numbers within spec range and gave me what I desire.

Salim