RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 06:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
You can buy the hitch pin and other towing accessories at any auto store or U-Haul. The folks at U-Haul are generally very helpful and knowledgeable since they rent trailers.

What do you plan on towing anyway? If you want to tow a trailer, don't forget the safety chain.
I would just like to haul a small u-haul trailer.Or something equivalent.And I thank you all for being so helpfull.

BTW last place,I think you are right about the 10mm bolts,that makes more sense that they would be a metric bolt.But isn`t that what the -13 is? (metric)
Old 10-07-08, 07:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Okay guy`s,I finally got the correct information from e-trailer online.For any one who wants to know,the bolts are: 1) 10mm x 40mm hex bolt
2) 10mm lock washer
3) 3/8 flat washer

Again,I would like to thank you all for your help.
Ryan
Old 10-07-08, 09:47 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I would just like to haul a small u-haul trailer.Or something equivalent.And I thank you all for being so helpfull.
Some people skip safety chain for small trailers, though I recommend it for anything in tow.

You'll find the hitch very useful. Besides towing trailers, we also use it to haul mountain bikes. We also have a hitch-mounted luggage rack for hauling stuff that we don't want to put inside the RX (Christmas tree, cooler with fish inside, gasoline, propane, camping trash, etc.)
Old 10-08-08, 07:08 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Some people skip safety chain for small trailers, though I recommend it for anything in tow.

You'll find the hitch very useful. Besides towing trailers, we also use it to haul mountain bikes. We also have a hitch-mounted luggage rack for hauling stuff that we don't want to put inside the RX (Christmas tree, cooler with fish inside, gasoline, propane, camping trash, etc.)
Yeah,thats a good idea!
Ryan
Old 10-08-08, 09:51 PM
4ncr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how to change front marker lightbulb for 1999 rx 300 ?https://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/pat.gif
Old 10-09-08, 06:21 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what will you be towing> sounds like you almost have the hitch situation lined out. i just want to add that you need to make sure your rear diff fluid is fresh and preferably synthetic. also your trans fluid should be fresh before you start towing or at least recently changed. if you tow regularly, keep an eye on your trans fluid. if it starts to smell burned or turn black it's overheating. towing creates a lot of extra heat in the diffs and trans. heat literally kills diff and trans fluid. don't tow in OD up hills if it's a load you can feel pretty well behind you.
Old 10-09-08, 06:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 19psi
what will you be towing> sounds like you almost have the hitch situation lined out. i just want to add that you need to make sure your rear diff fluid is fresh and preferably synthetic. also your trans fluid should be fresh before you start towing or at least recently changed. if you tow regularly, keep an eye on your trans fluid. if it starts to smell burned or turn black it's overheating. towing creates a lot of extra heat in the diffs and trans. heat literally kills diff and trans fluid. don't tow in OD up hills if it's a load you can feel pretty well behind you.
Thanx 19psi for your extra information.Yes my friend,all of the above has been done,Re:the synthetic in diff,and transfer etc.I will probably hardly ever tow anything,But I want to have it set up in case I need a u-haul,or I would really like to buy a small utility trailer,to haul my lawn tractor to in-laws for snow plowing etc.Problem is,no extra money for that stuff right now.The other question I just thought of is,do I need an 1 7/8" ball,or a 2" ball? or both?

Last edited by lexus114; 10-09-08 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-09-08, 07:45 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok good, glad you took care of the maintenace side of towing! for the ball, just ge tthe one for the size trailer you have. wehn you get the trailer, they will tell you what size ball it will take.
Old 10-10-08, 06:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4ncr
how to change front marker lightbulb for 1999 rx 300 ?https://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/pat.gif
Huh? is this related?

Last edited by lexus114; 10-21-08 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-10-08, 10:25 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I would really like to buy a small utility trailer,to haul my lawn tractor to in-laws for snow plowing etc.Problem is,no extra money for that stuff right now.
Just rent a trailer from U-Haul for just $20-$30 per day depending on size.

As for hitch ball, there are 3 sizes: 1 7/8", 2" and 2 1/8". I find the 2" being the most commonly used and generally compatible with all.
Old 10-10-08, 10:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Just rent a trailer from U-Haul for just $20-$30 per day depending on size.

As for hitch ball, there are 3 sizes: 1 7/8", 2" and 2 1/8". I find the 2" being the most commonly used and generally compatible with all.
Thanks Harrier,sounds good.
Old 10-20-08, 10:35 PM
SAMT
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default back up for a second...

Okay, just stumbled on to this thread. I too am trying to do the trailer hitch thing on my '99 RX300. Yep, have the towing prep pkg. I'm just a little confused about the wiring harness. I've looked under the car and removed the black rectangular cover in the left rear. No evidence of a harness connector hanging about. Previous posts have mentioned the spare tire compartment. Nothing there either. Are you talking about the small cargo tray on the LH side, next to the spare compartment? If I remove the tray, should I find what I need lurking in there? If so, do I understand it correctly that I should be able to plug in the harness from etrailer? http://www.etrailer.com/p-118245.htm
Old 10-21-08, 06:14 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SAMT
Okay, just stumbled on to this thread. I too am trying to do the trailer hitch thing on my '99 RX300. Yep, have the towing prep pkg. I'm just a little confused about the wiring harness. I've looked under the car and removed the black rectangular cover in the left rear. No evidence of a harness connector hanging about. Previous posts have mentioned the spare tire compartment. Nothing there either. Are you talking about the small cargo tray on the LH side, next to the spare compartment? If I remove the tray, should I find what I need lurking in there? If so, do I understand it correctly that I should be able to plug in the harness from etrailer? http://www.etrailer.com/p-118245.htm
SAMT,Mine was under the black cover under the vehicle.This black cover cover`s up the charcoal canister.loosen up the bolt`s that hold it in place (towards the rear of the vehicle) and it`s under their.It comes out of the wiring harness all by itself.I am surprised your 99 didn`t all ready have a hitch on it.? If you have any more questions,send me a private message.I`ll be glad to help you out.
Ryan
Old 12-10-08, 03:48 PM
gary_v
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring

Very confused have a 2001 rx300 awd, no factory hitch, there is no wire connections coming out of black box where it should be. However found connection inside trunk driver side next to cable for gas tank cover. Will this work, stopped at lexus this cable extension no longer available. I dont want to hard wire please help?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch-2001-rx300.jpg  
Old 12-10-08, 06:39 PM
jimmouse
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bot the hitch and cable extension from etrailer. The installation was really easy. The cable was just plug in after opening the black box under the trunk area. I have 2001 AWD, towing package prep.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch