RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Valve Adjustment Required?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 12:54 PM
bobinyelm
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment Required?

We are readying our 2003 RX-300 with 55k miles for sale (so we can buy a newer Gen 3 or 4 RX-350 my wife would like) and just had some work done to make it extra-nice (T-Belt, Water Pump, Tensioner/bearings, Cam and Crank Seals, Valve Cover Gaskets, Plugs), and an interested party just called saying the car requires valve adjustment at 60,000 mi and they would be interested in our car but only if we would have that done by the dealer.

Honestly, I did not even know these cars used solid valve lifters rather than hydraulic lifters!

I did a search on the forum "RX-300 Valve Adjust" and got NO Results, but a GOOGLE turned up that it is indeed scheduled for 60K (which I wish my dealer had told me when he had the top of the engine apart at 55k to do the valve cover gaskets).

I called, and they want $800 to do a valve adjustment, and say that just because the engine is utterly silent and that despite full synthetic oil every 3000 miles does not mean that the valves are misadjusted from normal wear, and could burn valves resulting in a $5000 head job to do the valves (which would require that the brand new timing belt being redone).

Wondering if these engines typically suffer from valve issues, and if so, WHEN/AT HOW MANY MILES?

I don't want to be cheap, but we already spent over $3000 for the above work, and if we'd known, we'd have done the valves at the same time, but now it will be a LOT more expensive (they said if we'd have had the adjustment done when they had the valve covers off it would have been only $300). Their reply was that since it wasn't yet required, they had no reason to suggest the adjustment to us, which I guess I understand.

UGGH!

The alternative is I guess just sell the car "as-is" disclosing it will need expensive work soon, but I know this will cut the price we could get for the car.

Bob.
Old 06-16-20, 01:32 PM
OilMemes
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Bob,
First, just want to say that it's incredible, that you have a 2003 Rx300 with such low mileage. Hopefully you can get a good price for it.
Second, I am looking at my (for a 2001) "Owner's Manual Supplement" now. I don't know at this point if it's different for the 2003 model, but for the 60,000 miles interval (on page 99) the only time valves are mentioned is:

"Inspect the following:
"Engine valves (audible)
..."

It does not say they must be adjusted, only inspected. What resource did you see, that it says "Adjust" the valves?
And what does it say in your Manual Supplement regarding the same? (Or maybe someone else with the 2003 model who has a copy can chime in?)
To be quite honest, I have until now never seen or read anything that the valves must be adjusted.. Unless Lexus has amended the maintenance requirements in this regard?
Old 06-16-20, 03:18 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

1999 manual says the same thing. Listen to the valves, adjust if needed. I've got 312,000 miles, never adjusted the valves. No audible ticking noises from the heads.
You should relay that to your buyer. If he's not satisfied, find another buyer.

The reality is he is buying a 17+ year old car being sold as-is and anything can fail at any time.
IMHO you've already gone above and beyond on an old car you are selling.

The following users liked this post:
bobwatt (06-18-20)
Old 06-16-20, 03:55 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Adding my 2c

RX first gen has no issues with the cam/valves. They should last a long long time with no adjustment needed.

As a seller, you have to sell as "AS IS" and if you feel comfortable add "no known issues" [you are not hiding any].

I would stay firm on the services performed with no issues brought forward requiring further investigation or repairs.

Typically when a buyer comes up with issues like the one reported
a) They want to wiggle out of the deal
b) they want to re-negotiate the price.

Option "a" is a lost cause and I hope you did not do the maintenance work to make the deal happen.
Option "b" is a tough one and would require you to determine what is going to be your cut-off point. [bit hard if you had made plans on sale going through]. Some love extended negotiations, while I would make one time offer and be ready to walk away without the deal.

Summary: Have a quick conversation with the buyer and inform him that actual adjustment is not required unless there is an issue. Then figure out is it "a" or "b" or something else. Be prepared for what you would say based on answer given.

The temptation of a newer vehicle is high, but what you process is an excellent vehicle.

Salim
Old 06-16-20, 05:56 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

They are VERY rarely adjusted on these cars. Even with 200k miles. Find another buyer and another mechanic.
Old 06-16-20, 07:50 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with everybody above -- no valve adjustment is mentioned as a required service. Especially considering the gentle treatment this vehicle has obviously received from you!
Old 06-16-20, 08:01 PM
bobinyelm
Driver

Hi everyone, and thanks for your comments.

I agree, and the service manager was not insistent that they needed to be adjusted. It was a prospective customer that was most likely either negotiating (we didn't talk a "discount" for omitting the adjust) or being overly picky about buying a "new" 2003 car prices as a 17 year old vehicle. The service guy just said that w/o checking the clearances, it was not a certainty that "silent" meant "properly adjusted."

Unfortunately, I've been here before when I sold an absolutely mint Jaguar XJ-6 with 44k miles 18 years back when the car was 14 years old and we were moving 3000mi to a place with less garage space. Just like our Lexus it looked and smelled new, was seldom driven in the rain (never in winter), and had never spent more than a few hours per use-day outside a climate controlled garage. We tend to treat our cars like clothing in that we have "work clothes" (cars) for everyday use, and "nice clothes" (cars) for enjoyment so our nice clothes don't get a lot of use, but they feel "special" when we DO use them (it's like getting into a new car all over again when we do), so age is not a big deal (but condition is). With the Jag, until we found the RIGHT buyer I would just tell abusive buyers that the car was not for sale (to them) at any price, but I don't like to be that way.

My wife and I had a long discussion today about the RX-300 in fact, and I think I am going to just "buy it" from her and use it as "my"nice-weather car (It's FWD so will retain my '00 AWD CR-V). I have a neighbor who has been begging to buy my super low miles mint Mercedes wagon (no rain, no winter use, always garaged) that I dearly love, but which is getting harder after 4 back surgeries and a hip replacement to get in/out-of as it's lower to the ground, and I will sell it to him and he will be delighted. So that would solve that, and at least I'd get the benefit of the recent full services we did on the RX300.

My wife says the RX is a "girly car" and doesn't fit a "man's image," but frankly at age 73 I am fine with that since the RX is so comfortable and a pleasure to drive. I have a "vintage" '86 BMW 635CSi coupe (I've always loved) and a '03 MB SL (if I need to be feel top-down sporty, which I frankly feel less and less need for as the years pass- I've driven each maybe 3 times a summer the last several years anyway). so if someone wants to make fun of me for driving a "chick car," so be it I guess.

I will be the proud owner of a white/silver RX-300 with biscuit leather interior.

Now we just need to locate a like-new Gen 3 or 4 RX-350 in Matador Red Metallica with Parchment Leather with 40K miles or less in new-condition (some creasing of the driver's seat commensurate with mileage is acceptable) from a no-rust area of the country with zero damage history. A few door dings are OK if a paintless-dent-repair-service can remove them.

If anyone can point us to one, we'd really appreciate it! It's my wife's new "dream ride," so we are not terribly price sensitive as long as it's reasonable.
PM me or email at bobinyelm@yahoo.

Bob

Last edited by bobinyelm; 06-16-20 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OilMemes (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 08:42 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 867 Likes on 694 Posts

+1 All posts above.

Sounds like the person buying your car is trying to steal it with shady tactics.

My engine has over 150k miles and I have only 1 valve that is at the limit for needing adjustment so I'm calling BS on his "concerns".

Does he want new struts and tires too??? lol
Old 06-17-20, 09:25 PM
bobinyelm
Driver

Originally Posted by Margate330
+1 All posts above.

Sounds like the person buying your car is trying to steal it with shady tactics.

My engine has over 150k miles and I have only 1 valve that is at the limit for needing adjustment so I'm calling BS on his "concerns".

Does he want new struts and tires too??? lol
Actually, we installed brand new tires in preparation for the sale only 200 mi ago.

The struts are like new at 55,000mi and we would refuse that request.

But I have decided to keep the RX300 as my own vehicle (and sell my mint 88,000mi 2002 Mercedes Benz C320 wagon that a neighbor has been wanting badly). The Lexus is easier to get into/out of, only a little less fuel efficient, and likely to be slightly more reliable, though the Benz has been flawless to date).

So it's a moot point-

That said, when I buy a used car, I only buy exceptional examples myself as I am smart enough to know that you cannot turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, and if a car is absolutely flawless, it's not just a sign the owner cared for it, but that he likely didn't abuse it during his ownership, so my cost-of-ownership should be low while I own the car. A car is like a bank account in that if it's in less than great condition, the account has been depleted of assets and needs to be replenished. That said, you can NEVER make up for abuse or neglect after-the-fact as cheaply as you can avoid the expense by buying "right" to begin with, especially if you have to "pay retail" for parts and repairs.

In my lifetime I have owned nearly 200 cars and trucks (It's a disease) and usually own 6-8 vehicles of various types (pickups, vans, sports cars, SUV, maybe "real" 4X4, etc.) at any one time (never fewer than 3 or more than 18, based on # of vehicle bays I have at the current residence-right now I have 8 indoor bays), and by buying solid cars, in 50+ years of used car ownership have NEVER suffered an expensive or major repair. Used vehicles "talk to me" when I drive them, and I've also probably have been lucky, but I don't blame someone for being picky buying one of my vehicles, but if they are unreasonable I DO show them the door without hesitation or regret.

Yes, I know I am a hoarder, but cars have always been my passion, but by buying "right" I have kept depreciation at a minimum (I generally do not buy new cars), so can afford my neurosis, and so far my wife has not left me.

Bob

Last edited by bobinyelm; 06-17-20 at 09:36 PM.