RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clock loses time

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 05:05 PM
Sukimo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock loses time

This used to happen every few months that my clock would lose time and would show 1:00. No big deal I would reset it, but now it happens every day. I'm wondering if it could be I need a new battery. Other than the clock and the dash loosing brightness everything else seems fine and the car starts with no trouble.

When I brought the car to the dealership for a checkup I mentioned it, but since it wasn't doing it at the time they said there was nothing they could do.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas what it might be?
Old 11-10-07, 05:20 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, you have the symptoms of being around the corner from needing a new battery. So, what brand of battery do you have and how old is it? Is it the original battery? If it is over 5 years old, thank your Lexus for giving you plenty of warning and get a new battery. The Costco battery and the Toyota/Lexus replacement battery appear to be popular.
Old 11-10-07, 08:43 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, Sukimo!

Funny things happening to the clock/radio stack are classic symptoms of incipient battery failure. Replace ASAP to avoid being stranded. Your RX is trying to tell you something!
Old 11-10-07, 10:02 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tirerack, a sponsor of the Club Lexus, is starting to sell Braille lightweight batteries.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/.../batteries.jsp
Lexmex first told me these, but I did not have time to buy them before my battery went south.
Here is the bracket, weight 8 oz.

Battery, weight 6 lbs.

My Costco Battery weight close to 50 lbs
Old 11-10-07, 11:03 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a nice looking battery! do we need just the battery with 527 pulse cranking amps?
Old 11-11-07, 04:50 AM
Sukimo
Driver School Candidate

Geez, glad I asked. We bought the car used off a lease in 2002 and it's a 1999 so I bet it's time for new battery. Thanks for all the replies! Guess I know what I'm doing today...
Old 11-12-07, 11:14 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zombie
thats a nice looking battery! do we need just the battery with 527 pulse cranking amps?
You can PM the tirerack guy who answers question in the wheels and tires section to make sure the size and capacity.
Old 12-01-07, 08:42 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I have the same issue! I am going to Costco to get a new one. They will give me a credit for taking in the old battery, right?
Old 12-01-07, 09:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Not sure about that, the Costco by me in Mexico doesn't. However, when I got my Optima Red Top at Interstate Battery in San Antonio, Texas, they gave me a negligible credit for turning in the other battery, some disposal fee.
Old 12-01-07, 11:48 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Although it sounds that the battery is about to go, just make sure your terminals are clean and secure [you should not be able to twist the terminal].

Many stores (including) dealership can test the battery under load for you.

Salim
Old 12-01-07, 01:32 PM
opal10969
Driver School Candidate

Default my Clock loses time too!

This happens to me too, even though we have changed the battery. Is anyone else finding the same problem still exists after changing the battery? It just happened today, I had pulled out of the driveway in reverse, put it in Drive, and just as I began moving forward (while in Drive!) everything went dead (radio/dash/engine) then came back on again by itself. I didn't even have time to take my foot off the gas, or brake, or put it in neutral! Then it just carried on as if nothing had happened! (except the clock was re-set to 1:00am of course)
Old 12-01-07, 02:12 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check to be sure your terminals, as Salim said, are clean and tight. You might also check the OTHER end of the battery cable too, just to be sure it hasn't worked loose. Somehow your electrical system is being disconnected (or shorted out). You might make up a connection to a cigarette lighter adapter to plug in a multimeter and watch your voltage as you drive. (Don't drive and watch the meter at the same time, have someone else take on one of the jobs!) If voltage drops to zero, you probably have a bad connection. If OK, then do the same test at the battery terminals. It is remotely possible you have a defective battery.

I wouldn't have thought of it, but the mechanic who put the alternator on my wife's van said he'd recently put three Autozone alternators on one car before he found one that would work. Maybe there is such a thing as paying too little?

It is possible that your alternator might have an intermittent problem. Have it tested under load by any of several franchise shops - Autozone and Firestone in my neighborhood offer this service for free.
Old 12-01-07, 02:28 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
I am going to Costco to get a new one. They will give me a credit for taking in the old battery, right?
As I recall, they charge you an extra $5 when you purchase the battery and you get the $5 back when you return the old (or any old) battery. If your battery is more than 5 years old, I'd replace it in addition to checking the tightness of battery cable connectors/clamps.
Old 12-01-07, 05:14 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Original battery is a Panasonic, which I assume came from the factory. The RX300 SS is a 2001.

I replaced the battery okay from Costco (fitment code 3). However, since the battery is a little taller than the original I had to loosen the nut on the hinge of the bracket. When tightening the whole bracket to the car I did not tighten all the way because it was putting a lot of pressure on the battery. I didn't want to damage the battery or break the bracket. Is it a problem that I didn't tighten it all the way even thought the bracket is tight?

Thanks,
Vik
Old 12-01-07, 06:37 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

The battery needs to be held (secured) properly as it has a lot of weight (momentum) and if it is lose, it will break the hold-down or worse split.

Salim

Quick Reply: Clock loses time