RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What is Wrong with my '00 RX??? Battery problem or Tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 07:58 AM
mwbuck
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Wrong with my '00 RX??? Battery problem or Tranny problem?

So this past Friday, I'm driving to work and all the sudden, the cd player just cuts out and turns off for about 3 seconds. Comes back on and everything is fine. I get to the next stop light, begin to accellerate out of first gear and the car seems to shift into second for a moment, shift back into first then rocket back into second. It does the same thing when shifting out of 2nd. Shifting into 3rd and 4th works fine. This goes on for the next 10 miles or so then after I get on the highway everything is fine. Getting off the highway, the car is still having problems with first and second gear. Park the car at work then take it out for a ride after lunch. Everything worked fine. I didn't drive the car at all this weekend, started it up this morning and everything was fine. As I pulled into the parking lot today, it had trouble again getting out of first.

One thing I noticed when this happens is that the green D symbol and the ECT Power symbol in the dash flicker like crazy. The battery is original so its about 6 years old and has a lot of corrosion. I know I should clean that off first to see if it helps. The car has only 59k miles on it. I don't think its a tranny problem but I can't rule it out. I'm thinking that maybe the battery is dying and can't feed the Electronic Transmission enough juice at certain times to process shifting out of 1st and 2nd. I'm hoping this is the case, because that will most likely be the cheapest problem to fix.

What would you guys recommend be my path forward? Is it possible that the alternator is bad too? Thanks!
Old 07-31-06, 08:31 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A little more information, if you please ...

All wheel drive or Front wheel drive (transmission)?

Have you changed the transmission fluid, either by a drain and fill or a flush?

As you suspect, the RX is critical to having a sound battery with clean connections....

Do you have access to a digital multimeter or voltmeter for checking the alternator ?
Old 07-31-06, 08:34 AM
mwbuck
Driver

The car is AWD. Tranny Fluid hasn't been changed since 30k miles. Unfortunately, I do not have access to any electronic equipment that would help. Does Pep Boys or AutoZone do this for free?

Last edited by mwbuck; 07-31-06 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 09:38 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Locate your nearest Toyota dealer for nine quarts of Type IV transmission fluid. You'll need to drain and fill the transaxle two times, about two hundred miles apart. Expect to use 4.2 quarts per drain; opening both drainplugs. Changing out the fluid does make a difference in the way this transmission acts.

You need a new battery before long; you may just consider having it replaced. Clean up the connections with baking soda and a little wash off water.

Sixty thousand is a large maintenance schedule. Check your owners manual supplement

All the fluids are replaced, including brake, coolant, transaxle, front transfer case, rear differential, power steering. Brakes, steering rack and axle drive shaft CV boots are inspected.
Serpentine belts replaced, engine and cabin air filters replaced. Wiper inserts replaced.

Auto stores can check you alternator operation.
Old 07-31-06, 12:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

By the sound of it seems like gremlins inthe elctrical system which are affecting the ecu's and various sensors.

Any recent electrical work done ... lose wiring shorts opens etc?

All electronics driven things have a failsafe mode but the behaviour is erratic. Poor/drained out battery usually menifest it self during starting (max load) but once the vehicle starts, the alternator takes over (the battery becomes the load so it is not totally isolated).

I would examine for rodents etc in the engine bay or near fuse boxes etc. You will be surprized as to how tennatious these critters are ... specially if you park your vehicle outside. They love copper.

Salim
Old 08-01-06, 07:36 AM
mwbuck
Driver

Went to Costco last night and replaced the battery. Everything seems to be working fine now. The dash doesnt flicker and the transmission feels good as new after pulling the EFI fuse.

I noticed something weird though when I went to check the ATF. When I pulled out the dipstick, there was a message on the part you hold onto about AWD cars not needing to have the ATF changed. Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm assuming it says this on everyone's? ATF looked fine btw, dark red but not black, and no burning smell.

Salim, I know exactly what you mean about the rodents. Currently, the car is garage kept, but when I first got the car I kept it outside. About 2 months after I bought it, the car suddenly wouldn't shift out of 3rd. I took it to the Lexus dealer and apparently something chewed apart a wire harness.

Thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106559
Old 08-01-06, 09:17 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Most respectfully, the dip stick is incorrect ...

But, with the all wheel drive, every fifteen thousand miles, drain and fill the 4.2 quarts from the pan and transaxle ...

Mine is a bright clear cherry red. Dark red indicates you're overdue. I would drain and fill two times over a two hundred mile period. Then inspect the fluid again on a white rag.

Use only the original toyota type IV, purchased from a Toyota dealer for $5 per quart. The change is as simple as draining the oil.

Lexus "off the record" recommends first change at 30K miles, then every 15K. Review the owners manual supplement for "advice".

Toyota fluid is much less expensive than a replacement transmission.
Old 08-01-06, 09:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Not too long ago, my uncle´s now dead cat manged to crawl in and sleep just below where my air intake is...terrible smell (for obvious reasons) and also decide to take one gnaw in one of my red grounding wires.

The thing with the so-called lifetime ATF fluid is nonsense. Granted, depending on how you drive your vehicle the ATF can last longer, but eventually it will get black if you don´t change it.
Old 08-01-06, 09:56 AM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbuck
Went to Costco last night and replaced the battery. Everything seems to be working fine now. The dash doesnt flicker and the transmission feels good as new after pulling the EFI fuse.
I hope this fixes it for you.

If not, I would go over the reapired section and also look around for more damage .... you never know if the critters only worked at one location. I am sorry that my comments are not to re-assuring but this is the nature of the problem you are encountering.

Also depends upon how the repair was done ... wire twisting, quick connects, solder with encapsualtion in sillicone etc. If it was just twisting of wires then there is possiblity of oxidization leading to intermittant contact over time. Since you were charged for the repairs then Lexus should stand behind the repair work they did.

Only time will tell. Godd luck.

Salim