RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Looking to buy this RX300....good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 05:40 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking to buy this RX300....good deal?

Hey guys,

I'm a CL regular, but I'm an SC guy, so I'm always in there.

Anyway, my uncle is looking for an SUV. He was looking at a Trailblazer, but after a ride in my SC and a little pep talk I've convinced him to try out some imports (not necessarily a Lexus...though I highly recommended it ). He headed to the dealership the other day and drove about 7 cars (a gmc yukon, gmc envoy, nissan maurano, two nissan pathfinders , an infininty FX45, and a 2002 RX300). He came away very impressed with the Lexus and wanting it above all the others. Victory.

Here's the specs on the RX he's looking at:

2002 Lexus RX 300 4WD 4D Sport Utility
Exterior Color: Black
Interior Color: Black Leather
Mileage: 45K

Price: $24,998
Blue Book Retail Value: $26,530

Vehicle History:
Remaining Warranty: Balance of 4 Years or 50,000 Miles

Guarantee Information:
Certified Quality Inspection
Clean Title Guarantee
5-Day Money Back Guarantee
Extended Service Plan
Limited 60-Day Warranty

Equipment :
Air Conditioning ABS Brakes
Power Steering Leather Seats
Air Bag(s) AM/FM/Cassette/CD
Power Windows Power Locks
Power Seat(s) Power Mirrors
Alloy Wheels Cruise Control
Rear Defroster Rear Wiper
Sunroof 4WD
Seat Heater
Full Package Details

Specifications:
Automatic
3.0L Engine
6 Cylinders
4 Door
4WD

What do you guys think? With my SC, I knew what year with exactly what specific exterior/interior color code and exactly what options I wanted the car to have. This ended up not only causing my search to take a little longer than it would have had I not been so particular, but also resulted in me looking for cars that were slightly higher in price, as the options I wanted were highly desireable. Basically, what would have been a high price for a typical SC was "a steal" for one optioned like mine.

I know a black on black SC is extremely desireable and demands a bit more than a typical SC. Same with RX's?

I'll try to get some pics up soon...
Old 06-13-06, 08:23 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a premium package that included auto-dimming rearview mirrors. To me, that's a really important option I'd check for. I think a test would be to check for a push button and small led light on the windshield rearview mirror. The push button turns the auto-dim function on and off.
Old 06-13-06, 09:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I would still try to knock it down a few thousand and what bob2200 said about the mirrors and that goes for other optional equipment is right on point as that can factor into the pricing.

I think the full options (minus things like the trailer hitch, optional HID lamps and chrome wheels) is like about 2300 to 2500 USD from my memory when you price them out.

Another thing, is if this is a 2002, check to see the date when it was sold as that will affect the status of the current warranty.
Old 06-13-06, 01:33 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, Best of Luck with your new purchase!

What to look for ... ?

Is there a history available .. regarding the 15K,30K,45K services? Fluid and Oil change documentation available; including fluid and oil brand or type?

A black master key or two; a grey valet key?

The drivers leather seat condiction and power seats operation? Any tears, deep cracks or loose stitching? Are the front leathers soft and condictioned or dry to the touch?

Do the tires have good tread depth? Do they match the spare in brand and size?
If there is any indicated wear, is it even across the tread face without cupping?

The wheel lock key and it's location?

You may wish to consider the condiction of all the fluids...
...expect a fresh oil change...
...automatic transmission - cherry red and not towards brownish or black on a white rag
...brake fluid - clear and not yellow-brown or black
...powering steering fluid - clear and red (dexron III) not black; when dripped on a white rag
...coolant - red or pink and clear in radiator and reservoir... hopefully not green

Check for bubbles in the A/C sightglass while it's cooling on MAX...It's located ahead of the radiator with the hood open.
It should run cold in less than a minute. The fan steps up and down when in auto mode.

Insure operation of everything electrical... Heated seats, all dash error lamps, all interior lamps, all exterior lamps, flasher and signal operation, automatic and manual heater and A/C with defrost operations. Sunroof tilt up and slide back / full slide back. Tape, CD, AM FM and power antenna noiseless operation.

Privacy partition rollup operation, located behind the rear seats... It rolls smooth when unhooked with rear hatch opened.

The operation of the black gas lifts on the rear hatch door and hood. Their pivits plastic retainers intact? Should have a good, strong lifting operation without assistance. Originals have KYB painted on them. (Warranty these if you can prior to expiration.)

Have the battery load tested at a auto parts store... insuring the alternator is charging correctly

Excessive grooves in the front and rear brake rotors? Were the brakes recently replaced?

Emergency brake engages solid in forward and reverse/ foot off brake pedal?

Open the glove box and remove the ACC cabin filter. It's presence and condiction?

Open the engine air filter to determine it's brand (OEM Denso) and condiction.

Using a flashlight, inspect the condiction of the axle drive shaft CV joint boots, both inner and outer driving all four wheels. ( A small plastic tarp is handy to lay on while inspecting.) They must be intact with no tears or grease leaking... both retaining bands intact on each boot. Turn the front wheels to see the inner fronts.

No dents in the entire exhaust system...front to rear

No fluid stains on the four struts, their boots intact.

No indication of oil or transmission fluid leaks under engine and transaxle assy.

Owning an RX300, this what I would now look for today...

Again, Best of luck