RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 05:09 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by steelgtr
So, Is the dealer flush good, bad, or unnecessary ??
bob
There's no way to know what the "dealer flush" is exactly, there are different types of flush machines. To my knowledge the manufacturer does not recommend flushing.
The general advice here is that flushing an old transmission like these can do more harm than good.
Old 01-10-23, 07:08 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxSteel
There's no way to know what the "dealer flush" is exactly, there are different types of flush machines. To my knowledge the manufacturer does not recommend flushing.
The general advice here is that flushing an old transmission like these can do more harm than good.
Thanks, Max. I was told long ago that "Dealer Flushing" was the only way to completely remove and replace ALL the fluid including what is in the torque converter? I believe they call it a "Fluid Exchange" FWIW?

thx

bob
Old 01-10-23, 07:46 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Thanks, Max. I was told long ago that "Dealer Flushing" was the only way to completely remove and replace ALL the fluid including what is in the torque converter? I believe they call it a "Fluid Exchange" FWIW?
thx
bob
This thread discusses the limitations of the drain and fill approach, and covers some strategies to get almost complete fluid replacement. I've only done periodic drain & fill, but I also have dropped the pan a couple of times and replaced my screen with a filter. I'm on my original transmission and have about 340k miles now so whatever I'm doing seems ok.

There are different types of flush.
One approach uses cleaning agents and high pressure, seems like a bad idea to me.
Another is a "passive" approach where the cooling lines are connected to a machine and the engine is started. The machine captures the old fluid coming from the cooler inlet line and returns an equal amount of new fluid through the return. There is some mixing of new and old in the process so it won't be 100% new when done. This sounds safe to me as long as they don't add cleaners. I think this thread mentions doing something similar manually, like disconnecting the cooler inlet line, starting the engine briefly, capturing the fluid, adding replacement fluid, repeat. I never tried it.

Old 01-10-23, 07:55 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by maxSteel
This thread discusses the limitations of the drain and fill approach, and covers some strategies to get almost complete fluid replacement. I've only done periodic drain & fill, but I also have dropped the pan a couple of times and replaced my screen with a filter. I'm on my original transmission and have about 340k miles now so whatever I'm doing seems ok.

There are different types of flush.
One approach uses cleaning agents and high pressure, seems like a bad idea to me.
Another is a "passive" approach where the cooling lines are connected to a machine and the engine is started. The machine captures the old fluid coming from the cooler inlet line and returns an equal amount of new fluid through the return. There is some mixing of new and old in the process so it won't be 100% new when done. This sounds safe to me as long as they don't add cleaners. I think this thread mentions doing something similar manually, like disconnecting the cooler inlet line, starting the engine briefly, capturing the fluid, adding replacement fluid, repeat. I never tried it.
I'll ask at the dealer next time what process they use

bob
Old 01-10-23, 01:38 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

I'll ask at the dealer next time what process they use
bob
Maybe also ask him if Toyota recommends flushing transmissions.
My sister was being pressured by a Toyota dealer to flush her Toyota Avalon with about 170k miles. I called him and when pressed on the subject he said Toyota does not.

The following users liked this post:
steelgtr (01-10-23)
Old 11-18-23, 03:01 PM
Pwrdude
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I felt I needed to share this, as I have always been told the same thing all my life. I was an ASE certified tech for many years, but not on transmissions. I have 2 RX300 AWDs with over 200k on them. One already has had the transmission replaced before I purchased it.. I had been thinking of just leaving them alone, but now am thinking of servicing both of them. BTW... I would never do an actual flush with a machine. I would do it the same was as the OP.

Transmission Flush Myths- Busted!

Anyone who is even remotely involved with cars has heard this type of story- someone that they know got a transmission flush and their transmission failed within weeks or even days.

The urban legend behind this is that the "sludge" is all that was holding the transmission together and once it was removed with a flush, the transmission had no chance of surviving.

The story goes like this:
Jim was having a transmission problem, let's say that it was sluggish in the morning and would slip on take-off from a stop from time to time when it was hot out.

Now Jim has a brother-in-law named Bob that used to work on cars, do his own tune ups and oil changes, etc. When Jim mentioned the problem that he was having to Bob, his immediate response was, "You need to get that transmission flushed"

Of course Jim not really knowing anything about a car, much less an automatic transmission blindly follows the advice of his brother-in-law. After all Bob surely knows all about cars even though he hasn't worked on one for over twenty years.

Jim obediently takes his car to the local lube place for a flush and an engine oil change while it's there. Jim gets his transmission flush, pays and goes on his way.

At first, he notices maybe a slight improvement in performance but his transmission is still exhibiting most of the original symptoms.

About two weeks later Jim is driving to work and he stops to pay a toll. When he tries to pull away from the toll booth the unthinkable happens- the car just revs and goes nowhere, as if it is in neutral. Jim moves the shifter into low and is able to limp his car off to the side of the road and wait for a tow truck to take him to a transmission shop.

What happened?

Here's a list of reasons why the transmission flush myth exists:

•The myth is propagated by people who claim to be experts. I have even heard of transmission repair shops who contribute to the myth in the hopes of scaring potential customers into having their transmission overhauled rather than maintaining it.

•There are thousands of "internet experts" who promote the misinformation- it's truly a case of "monkey see, monkey do" on steroids!

•There may have been a time in the early days of automatic transmissions when failure after a flush was more common, perhaps because of antiquated friction material and transmission fluid technology during the 1950's and 60's but this was before my time so I'm not able to truly discuss the legitimacy of the possibility. I can, however, say with certainty that it's not an issue with 99.9% of the vehicles in service today. If your owner's manual is in the glove box and not painted on the wall of a cave, you are probably good to go.

•"Sludge" is all that was holding the transmission together and when it gets cleaned out the trans in going to fail immediately. Guess what? If you have sludge in your transmission, it's already bad and in need of a repair.

•Once in a while a flush is performed, usually at a quick lube operation, and the transmission is not refilled correctly- resulting in failure soon thereafter. Of course the incorrect fluid level is not recognized as the culprit- the transmission flush is! Many automatic transmissions have fairly complicated fluid level checking and filling procedures that are best left to a transmission repair expert to perform.

•People have unrealistic expectations. A transmission flush is no more likely to fix a failing transmission than an engine oil change is to fix a major internal engine problem. Both of these things are great to do regularly but they are maintenance- not a fix for a problem.

•The reality is that most people don't think about their transmissions until the day that they have a problem. Jim's transmission was on borrowed time- it was going to fail anyway but now that it has, he is going to perpetuate the myth. If he ever hears someone mention a transmission flush, he's going to proclaim, "I had that done and my transmission blew up within a month!"

I have been in the transmission repair industry since 1987 and can honestly say that I can't recall a single time where I saw a healthy transmission get a flush or a fluid change and subsequently have a problem. A transmission flush is the best maintenance that one can do to extend the life of your automatic transmission, don't miss out on the benefits because of the nonsense that exists surrounding changing your transmission fluid!

Anyone can feel free to repost this as long as you leave the "about the author" part intact.

About the author:
John Lombardo is co-owner of IPT Performance Transmissions and has been in the high performance industry for over 20 years.

Last edited by Pwrdude; 11-18-23 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-18-23, 06:07 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

I'm gonna ask again; What exactly is the dealer "Fluid Exchange" and why do some say it's not safe or authorized by Toy/Lexus?
Old 11-18-23, 06:31 PM
Pwrdude
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm gonna ask again; What exactly is the dealer "Fluid Exchange" and why do some say it's not safe or authorized by Toy/Lexus?
Not sure, but I think it's because they hook up between the cooler and the transmission and they flush the fluid out but they don't pull the pan and change the filter and get rid of the metal shavings and or sludge.
Old 11-19-23, 01:07 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

It may be what is referred to as a passive flush (not a power flush)
They hook the tranny cooling lines to a device. As oil fluid is pumped into the device (using only the transmission's normal fluid circulation) replacement fluid is delivered back via the return line.
Old 11-21-23, 10:30 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

I think long ago they told me that it was the only way to get fluid out of the Torque Converter?
Old 02-10-24, 06:07 PM
Mattstermh
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Until what year are the transmissions problematic?
Old 02-12-24, 11:02 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattstermh
Until what year are the transmissions problematic?
Please leave this thread about DIY. General questions are better asked in reviving an old thread in discussion or start a new one.

If a vehicle with 4-5yr warranty offered by the manufacturer is running around after say 25 years, can some one say there is a problem? That transmission was designed when 55 MPH was the legal speed limit. Newer vehicles have a different transmission and they have their own quirks and failures. I have not come across a reason why the transmission failed [no common cause]. Failures have happened with well-maintained and neglected and well-maintained owners were lot more vocal about it. If my memory serves me right I have come across more complaints right after transmission fluid change.

Salim
Old 04-13-24, 10:29 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Guys,

My 01AWD current has only 89,000 original miles and I change my ATF with a drain and fill every 15,000. So far the fluid remain fresh red and no issues.

I have never drop the pan to inspect if I have a mesh filter or a paper filter. Heard around 60-80K would be a good time to drop the pan and inspect .

My Q is if the metal mesh filter is what I have and even inspection will only get 20% clean with the metal filter. Is it worth messing with the pan ? Also if I drop the pan , would I need to buy at minimum the tranny gasket and or a new filter if it is the paper type?

Hope I’m in the right thread with my Q

thoughts