RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

need help with ignition lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 08:49 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

The principle is that once the 'right key' (physical right key ,,, nothing to do with the immobilizer or electronics) is inserted, the groove that matches the cylinder (tumblers) will align to allow the key with cylinder to turn. [Just like in regular locks]. Once you go past the free insertion point [ACC as an example] the key should not be able to pull out [the tumbler do not allow the key to be pulled out ... just like when you turn the key from unlock on regular locks ,,, you can't pull the key out].

The button JAB points out to is to release the cylinder. You may have to use finesse to press the button the right amount and gently wiggle the key with the cylinder out. I have not had a reason to do it myself so my explanation is only to help you gain insight.

Keep in mind this will work ONLY with the tight key ... that lets to turn the ignition switch.

Salim
Old 09-10-16, 09:19 PM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a locksmith to come take it out and repair it. However the key still slides in and out in the ACC position. Smithy says "dont do that, it will wear out the tumblers." I wonder how much time I have before I'll be calling him again.
Old 07-29-21, 06:49 PM
irundstree
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=DDW01;1685570]folks need help..
I have a 99 rx300 the key came out of the lock cylinder while in the acc position and now when inserted will not move to on or lock position. I believe my best option will be to remove the lock cyylinder from the overall ignition housing and either have the tumblers serviced or the cylinder and keys replaced with new. I have the panels etc..removed and have the cylinder exposed. I am trying to figure out the method to release the lock/key cylinder from the barrell housing. I see what looks like a locking white plastic pin on top but not sure how to release it...dont want to break it trying...does anyone have experience removing the cylinder ?? much thanks[/QUOTE

Did this happen after you replaced the lock cylinder? I'm having an issue with my ignition lock cylinder or my ignition switch drawing power when the car is off so I need to replace possibly..just don't want the key get stuck and then I would be screwed haha
Old 04-15-22, 07:58 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Bit of advice ... try to lighten the key chain. With other keys hanging off the vehicle key, every bump is like striking a blow with a hammer of equivalent weight.

Salim