RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

tint question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 12:21 PM
Ziggy09
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tint question

Has anyone matched the tint on all the windows? If so have you ever actually been pulled over for it being to dark? I'm a little nervous since I've heard stories of people not only being ticketed but forced to get the tint removed. My guy says he'll do it for 60bucks but cannot give me a receit but i figure they all do that.
Old 06-26-04, 06:20 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Each state has its own legal limit on tint darkness. So you'll have to check with your DMV or do a search on the Net. Generally speaking, no or very little tint is allowed on the front windows. The guy wouldn't give you a receipt because it's illegal to put on tint that dark.

Yes, you'll be issued a "repair order" and forced to have the tint removed. Enforcement is usually strict in high crime area such as Los Angeles, Miami, and Phoenix. The sheriff here in Colorado don't seem to give it a hoot.
Old 06-28-04, 12:12 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window Tint

I had the windows tinted on my 2001 RX. I live in the Keys and had the work done in Homestead. I havent had any problems with FHP, Metro Dade or Monroe County. I drive from the Keys to Miami everyday.

I had a silver colored window tint put on the front drivers and Pax doors. And the little triangle windows. On the back 5 windows I had 20 percent window tint put on. Dont get the darker Limo tint. You wont be able to see through them at night. Overall it looks good. And the tint matches all of the windows. You cant see into the car untill you walk right up to it.
Old 06-28-04, 06:26 PM
Hopeful
Rookie

Default What brand?

What brand did they use? What percent was the tint? Do you now get a reflection/mirror-effect from inside?
Old 06-28-04, 07:42 PM
Ziggy09
Driver

thanks My car will be a little bit darker come thurday
Old 07-01-04, 10:32 AM
Stone
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: tint question

Originally posted by Ziggy09
Has anyone matched the tint on all the windows? If so have you ever actually been pulled over for it being to dark? I'm a little nervous since I've heard stories of people not only being ticketed but forced to get the tint removed. My guy says he'll do it for 60bucks but cannot give me a receit but i figure they all do that.
Had 15% Llumar metallic tint put on. Looks like an almost perfect match. $75 for both front windows; no receipt; no warranty except if the wavy water/shampoo didn't disappear beneath the tint. It did after a few days so I guess all is good.

Recommendations have been to lower your window if you are near a police car so as not to be too obvious. Also, if getting pulled over immediately lower both front windows so that the offcier can see you your side mirrors. If they can see in, then they know what you're doing and all should be good.
Old 07-04-04, 05:55 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window Tint

I believe it was 3M window tint I had installed. On the back windows I had 20% put on. The front drivers and Pax doors had the silver colored tint installed. You get a little bit of a reflection at night. But not that much.

You might be able to go with the darker Limo tint on the back side windows. But dont go more than 20 percent on the hatchback door. It will be hard to see oncoming cars at night.
Old 07-04-04, 07:00 AM
JFlo
Lead Lap

The SC that I owned had 5% tint on it, and needless to say, I got pulled over ALL the time. I have been contemplating matching the front tint to the rear on my new RX330, but the $80 tickets have added up over time. I am not sure how dark the front window is allowed to be on a truck, but on passenger vehicles it is no darker than 50%. To me ... 50% tint is worthless. Anyone know how dark the rear of the truck is on the 330 model? It looks to me to be about 25%. Anyways ... I guess I feel it's kinda isn't worth it. Anyways .... who really wants to roll their windows down when they see a cop everytime? Especially in January in Ohio (0 degrees and all)?
Old 07-04-04, 07:41 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: tint question

again, always love to show off mine. Perfect match and not legal, all i know its a 3M tint:

Originally posted by Ziggy09

Last edited by JohnsRX; 07-04-04 at 07:42 PM.